.357 Magnum Hunting load?

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Dthompson2634

.357 Magnum Hunting load?

Post by Dthompson2634 »

Hey Everyone,

I'm new on the forums but I currently handload for target shooting. With the possibility of pistol caliber rifles being legalized for hunting this coming season I wanted to get my ducks in a row. My plan is a 357 rifle using my handloads. I would imagine a heavier bullet would be best. What load does everyone recommend for hunting out to around 100 yards? I don't shoot out that far typically while hunting as only a few spots have shots that far but it'd be nice to have the capability if a safe shot that far out ever presented itself.
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: .357 Magnum Hunting load?

Post by djmac1964 »

I can't help you much with your question, as I do not reload. But I can say WELCOME! :D
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I don't hunt, but I do reload, so I can at least help a bit from that perspective. Plus I know a few folks who do hunt and have paid attention when they are talking... :wink:

Heavy for caliber is a good way to go, most I know lean toward 180gr but many like 158gr bullets. You planning on loading and shooting lead or jacketed?

Shot placement is of course key, so if you have a load in that range that shoots well in your rifle there are good reasons to stick with it and perhaps tune it a bit if needed.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I hunt but don't hand load. I can say from personal experience that if you can replicate the higher speed 357 loads from 158gr to 180 gr in a rifle at 100 yards, you will be fine. JHP like a Partition or Gold Dot is a solid choice, expands and penetrates.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
dangerranger6100

Post by dangerranger6100 »

I would say a 158gr Gold Dot would do just fine, if you can find them.

Here's a test showing over 23" of gel penetration from a 4" barreled pistol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAMQ6JbOUio

I couldn't find any tests from rifle length barrels though. They may or may not hold up to 1600+ fps. The .357 can gain a lot of velocity fired from a rifle.
Dthompson2634

Post by Dthompson2634 »

Thanks! I figured a heavier, JHP round would be best and that is what I was going for. I prefer to load jacketed ammunition for now. Any powders you all recommend? I haven't done too much research into the loads yet as my reloading book is at my father's house. I'm thinking a 158 or 180 grain (as previously mentioned) but not sure which powder. I have read that you can expect around 30-40% more velocity with the rifle length barrels than what the book says.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

In a JHP I'd probably go with Hornady XTP, and probably 2400 for a powder. I like H110 for full-power magnum loads but mostly because it has a lot of "show" - big bang and lots of muzzle flash, a real crowd pleaser. When I am working with teens or even adults with the GP100 and we shoot a cylinder or two of my mid-power target loads and then a batch of the H110 full-power loads I get a kick out of the ear-to-ear grin it produces.

Anyway, 2400 can produce plenty powerful loads and doesn't have quite the flash/bang so that's probably where I'd go for a hunting load. I've never loaded for a 357 in a rifle so I can't really advise you on the load itself beyond helping with book loads if you need them. If you like, I'll check my manuals when I get home and see what they list for rifles for various combinations of powder and bullets.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
BobK

Post by BobK »

Current issue (Feb 2014) issue of Handloader magazine has a nice article on heavy bullet .357 handloads. Has loads up to 200 gr bullets.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Somewhere around here I posted some chrony data from Mr. Glock and I shooting .357 Magnum 158-gr out of my 12" revolver. Yeah, more velocity but not as much as you might expect. I have harvested deer with that (factory ammo) load before.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled if ODNR allows any sort of non-shotgun long arm for deer hunting. I might even go buy a stainless lever action carbine for such a purpose. :idea:
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I don't have Morne's data. But I can tell you that American Eagle 158 gr JSP ran 1282 fps from 4" wheelgun and 1789 fps from a Marlin 18" lever action.

But, Buffalo Bore 158 gr Heavy goes 1500 fps from a 6" wheelgun, haven't tried in a lever yet....that is now my deer load (Gold Dot)
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Dthompson2634

Post by Dthompson2634 »

Thanks guys. I will have to snag a copy of that edition of Handloading magazine. Now I just need to figure out what gun to get lol. That is a harder choice but I'll probably go with the Ruger 77/357 as I really like that gun in .223.
Erik02bu

Post by Erik02bu »

This year I loaded 180gr hornaday xtp with H110 and a heavy crimp. It killed a five gallon bucket at 25 yards. No deer in sight this season.