Recommend me some powders

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Recommend me some powders

Post by Morne »

Sevens wrote:
Morne wrote:W231 still useful for .45 Super?
Hodgdon says "Yup."
In that case, I think I'll settle on W231 for my non-magnum pistol loads. Thanks!

I have a partial jar of H322 for the .223 loads. Some reading on the internet indicates that it is better for lighter bullets than I prefer (62 grain) so I am still open to a different powder for this application.

Close to decided on powders, have to start a new thread on primers I guess... :idea:
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

You may be decided on W231 and that may be just the perfect answer UNLESS you can't find any of it. :oops: It's an extremely popular powder, so even in a good buying environment, it can sometimes be hit or miss as to finding it in stock.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

Morne wrote: Close to decided on powders, have to start a new thread on primers I guess... :idea:
No you don't. CCI. :twisted:
Pride is all well and good. But a sausage is a sausage.

All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo.
dangerranger6100

Post by dangerranger6100 »

Wolf Small Rifle Magnums for .223 if you're just loading up blasting ammo. They supposedly aren't really magnum primers, just standard primers with a magnum cup.

I haven't tried Wolf's pistol primers. I use CCI.

The problem right now is finding the particular powder and primers you want. It's starting to get better, but you may have to pick up whatever is available and will work if you want to get started now. Vance's had quite a bit of powder and CCI primers when I was there a couple weeks ago. Primers were $40/1k though :(

I've seen IMR 8208XBR a few places since this madness started. It is supposed to be good for a range of 223 bullet weights. I picked up a couple pounds of it but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Why are you stuck on 62gr projectiles for 223? Hornady 55gr fmj and soft points are good cheap bullets.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Sevens wrote:You may be decided on W231 and that may be just the perfect answer UNLESS you can't find any of it. :oops: It's an extremely popular powder, so even in a good buying environment, it can sometimes be hit or miss as to finding it in stock.
I've gotten by pretty well with WW231 for all pistol loads except a few hot ones in .357 magnum, .38 super, .4i magnum, .44 magnum, and 9x23 Winchester. (A brief dalliance with that caliber in which truthfully I mostly just shot some factory stuff rounded up on the cheap. Had some cash in my mitts at just the right time, as sometimes happens.) With the aforementioned "hot" reloads, Blue Dot, while not ideal, got the job done and was always available.

Point being, back in the day I loaded everything from .25 acp-- only managed to smash my fingers in the press a couple times--through .44 magnum with the use of only two powders.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

dangerranger6100 wrote:Why are you stuck on 62gr projectiles for 223? Hornady 55gr fmj and soft points are good cheap bullets.
A long time ago I decided to standardize on 62-gr for all of my 223. All my factory ammo is 62-gr.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

Right now, my two favorite powders, W231 for pistol and Varget for .223 are both extremely difficult to find on the shelf right now.

I've been forced to experiment with powders I'm not as familiar with. For all the nay sayers about UNIQUE, it does well for me, esp. in .45ACP. It's generally less expensive, and more available these days as well. It also meters just fine in my Lee perfect powder measure as well as my Lee auto disk. But I still prefer W231 by far.

One thing about Unique, you can load it in just about anything. There are even recipes for light gallery loads in most rifle calibers. I've done this before with lead cast bullets in .32 winchester special without the need for gas checks because it keeps the velocity below 1400 fps.

Whatever you do, stay far away from IMR 700x. It's available and I see it on store shelves everywhere, but beware! That stuff won't meter reliably AT ALL! I'm not talking a little bit here, but loads could be off as much as a grain or two. :shock: This stuff clearly isn't for the beginner. I had some success using the lee powder dippers, but loads were still somewhat inconsistent even then, depending upon how it settled in the scoop. At least I only bought a lb. of it to experiment.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Klingon00 wrote:Right now, my two favorite powders, W231 for pistol and Varget for .223 are both extremely difficult to find on the shelf right now.

I've been forced to experiment with powders I'm not as familiar with. For all the nay sayers about UNIQUE, it does well for me, esp. in .45ACP. It's generally less expensive, and more available these days as well. It also meters just fine in my Lee perfect powder measure as well as my Lee auto disk. But I still prefer W231 by far.

One thing about Unique, you can load it in just about anything. There are even recipes for light gallery loads in most rifle calibers. I've done this before with lead cast bullets in .32 winchester special without the need for gas checks because it keeps the velocity below 1400 fps.

Whatever you do, stay far away from IMR 700x. It's available and I see it on store shelves everywhere, but beware! That stuff won't meter reliably AT ALL! I'm not talking a little bit here, but loads could be off as much as a grain or two. :shock: This stuff clearly isn't for the beginner. I had some success using the lee powder dippers, but loads were still somewhat inconsistent even then, depending upon how it settled in the scoop. At least I only bought a lb. of it to experiment.
Iirc, it was probably 14 oz, because a pound won't fit in a standard bottle. 8)

I use 800-X for 25 auto and 40 S&W. It is the best 40 powder I ever tried. In 25 auto, you just stack about six discs in the case and it's good. Meters like Oreos in my Lee measure.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
hAkron

Post by hAkron »

For .38 and .45 (and most non-magnum handgun loads) I'm a big fan of Hodgdon HP-38 (also sold under the name Winchester 231). I use it in .380, 38 special, 9mm, 9mm Makarov, 40 S&W, light 10mm, .45 ACP

For .223, which I just started loading recently, I've had good luck with BLC-2

44 special and 44 magnum I use Unique.

I was using H110 in my 357 loads, but I'm looking to switch that. It's good for a big flash and a big shockwave, but it is a sensitive powder and a small charge variance can make a big difference.