New Projectile

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jose45

Re: New Projectile

Post by jose45 »

brian0918 wrote:Does anyone else see some difficulty explaining to the jury why you decided to load your gun with high-end R. I. P. rounds?
When I look at the pictures of this round for some reason an image pops into my mind of a DA holding one of these up in front of a jury and he just can't wipe this big grin off of his face. :D :lol: 8) :shock:
"Lord, make me fast and accurate.Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine.Let not my last thought be "If I only had my gun"
And Lord,if today is truly the day that you call me home.Let Me Die In A Pile of Hot Empty Brass.- Patriots Prayer- III% NRA,OFCC
roughsawn

Post by roughsawn »

Wow! Did ya watch the video? That round can go CLEAN THROUGH a watermelon!!!! :lol: :lol:
Working on a Sig line. So far, I have a P250, a 938, and an Ultra!

http://myreloadingbench.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Wasn't the Liberty "Halo" bullet which came out a few years ago - similar to this RIP??? If I remember right, the folks at Liberty got themselves in trouble with the ATF. And most of the internet chatter on the "Halo" says it is a really suck-y bullet which doesn't deliver.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

glocksmith wrote:Wasn't the Liberty "Halo" bullet which came out a few years ago - similar to this RIP??? If I remember right, the folks at Liberty got themselves in trouble with the ATF. And most of the internet chatter on the "Halo" says it is a really suck-y bullet which doesn't deliver.
Liberty made similar claims,(and still does for their renamed ammo) . I tried 100 rounds of their "Halo" when it first was available. I was not impressed.

Uncertain if they were in dutch with the ATF, I seem to remember they caught some flak from the folks who own the Halo game copyright . Something to do with too similar an appearance in the logo?
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
techgebhardt

Post by techgebhardt »

evan price wrote:The last round you'll ever need:
Winchester Super-X 12-gauge slug
* .729" diameter
* 6 MOA
* 437 gr projectile
* 2" grouping at 25 yrds
* 1600 FPS / 2484 ft/lbs Muzzle Energy
* One Gigantic Wound Channel
* Formed from soft lead
* For smoothbore barrels
* Defeats all known barriers such as sheet metal, sheet rock, windshields, plywood, heavy winter clothing, bear skulls, Gothic plate mail
* Less than $1 per round and available at your local sporting goods aisle in popular stores such as Meijer, Wal-Mart, Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc.
I enjoy these. Although more then $1/round.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~ Thomas Jefferson

Fight organized crime: Re-elect no one..
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Winchester Super-X Hollow Point 12-ga 1-oz slug videos tested in gelatin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HuVkXLreWE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKge3FF0Hx4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Approx. 12" - 14" of penetration in gel, and a fist-sized stretch cavity.
The second video shows much more clearly what happens to the Winchester Super-X HP slug- it turns into a donut!

The second video also claims that it would not be good for large thick skinned game such as bears...and I do agree...but these slugs are utterly devastating to thin-skinned, man-sized game such as Blue-Helmeted Interlopers.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ :shock: :o
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
mreising

Post by mreising »

evan price wrote:Winchester Super-X Hollow Point 12-ga 1-oz slug videos tested in gelatin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HuVkXLreWE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKge3FF0Hx4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The second video shows much more clearly what happens to the Winchester Super-X HP slug- it turns into a donut!

The second video also claims that it would not be good for large thick skinned game such as bears...and I do agree...but these slugs are utterly devastating to thin-skinned, man-sized game such as Blue-Helmeted Interlopers.
Mmmm, donuts. Image
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
brian0918

Post by brian0918 »

evan price wrote:Winchester Super-X Hollow Point 12-ga 1-oz slug videos tested in gelatin:

What do you think - for a home defense shotgun, is it better to send out a bunch of buckshot, or one big slug? What would be safer for others in the house, as well? I would think fewer projectiles means fewer chances of hitting an unintended target.
techgebhardt

Post by techgebhardt »

What do you think - for a home defense shotgun, is it better to send out a bunch of buckshot, or one big slug? What would be safer for others in the house, as well? I would think fewer projectiles means fewer chances of hitting an unintended target.
Most people use 00 +/- a few in the spectrum depeing on availability and price.

~ Thomas Jefferson

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ +1.

- http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_D ... AMMUNITION" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While a slug will likely certainly over-penetrate, so will any buckshot that has the terminal performance you're looking for in a defensive scenario.

Know what your backstops are. Know how your gun patterns with your chosen ammo. For most off-the-shelf "defensive" shotguns with 18 to 20-inch barrels, cylinder bore, Federal's Flitecontrol wadded 00-buck will hold a very tight pattern out to at least 15 to 20 yards, and at 7 to 10 yards, it'll usually just be ripping a fist-sized (or smaller) hole that practically spells annihilation for whatever tissues should be found there.

I really think one of the biggest concern for home-defense is understanding what your backdrops are, and what your weapon will do should you miss. Knowing that there's places you can or cannot safely shoot for what might be beyond will impact weapon choice. Certainly, in the heat of the moment, while I don't think it's reasonable to guaranty that we'll grab shotgun A loaded with X or shotgun B loaded with Y, I do think that we can stack our odds by having a shotgun, carbine, and pistol all readily available, and that as each can fill a distinct role and are drastically different weapons in every sense, we should be able to grab the right one to get the right job done, even in our most frazzled state.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
techgebhardt

Post by techgebhardt »

techgebhardt wrote:
depeing
Love not being able to correct weird spelling errors....
~ Thomas Jefferson

pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

SOLD. 20 rounds of 9mm................$305.00

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... 301619#PIC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Come on guys, NO RESERVE.

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Ke ... 2+RESEARCH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

pirateguy191 wrote: 20 rounds of 9mm................$305.00
So then RIP really stands for Radically Insane Price I take it? :shock:
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
techgebhardt

Post by techgebhardt »

JustaShooter wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote: 20 rounds of 9mm................$305.00
So then RIP really stands for Radically Insane Price I take it? :shock:
I might be RIP is the wife saw I spent that much for 20 rounds of ammo.
~ Thomas Jefferson