New Year's Resolution: Casting

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Cloudwraith
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

New Year's Resolution: Casting

Post by Cloudwraith »

So I've decided this year to get into casting boolits.

I've spent the past week researching, reading and watching youtube videos (don't drip a drop of sweat into your melt or you'll cause a nuclear explosion with a visit from the tinsel fairy *tongue-in-cheek*) and I think I've got a pretty good grasp on what to do and not to do.

I've ordered a Lee 20lb bottom pour pot, a few rifle molds, and bullet sizer. I don't think I want to get right into rendering used lead from wheel weights or other items just yet so I sourced some lead ingots on ebay for about 1.80/lb shipped. Supposedly, these are from range lead and I'm hoping the lead, tin and antimony contents are inline with what I want but I guess I'll have to do the pencil tests I've been reading about on http://castboolits.gunloads.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. For me, dealing with clean ingots is a better start to get the feel of things.

I've not been able to find bullets for my 30-40 krag (round nose 180g) or my 30-30 (flat nose 150g) so I ordered those molds to start with. After that I'll try the 6-drop .40 cal SWC's.

I need to source all my PPE (anyone have a good place for welders gloves or face shields?) and build a table in the garage (don't want to cast in the basement) but a lot of items are on two week backorder so I have some time.

I'd like to discuss some of this at the next HUG meeting as well :)

I'm open to advice or suggestions for first time starters so lay it on me!
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Re: New Year's Resolution: Casting

Post by evan price »

Range lead will be soft, great.for pistol. I sell ingotized for $1 per lb plus ship or free ftf pickup at hug mtgs.
Glad to help any way I can.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Cloudwraith wrote:I need to source all my PPE (anyone have a good place for welders gloves or face shields?) and build a table in the garage (don't want to cast in the basement) but a lot of items are on two week backorder so I have some time.
Harbor Freight.

Any kind of sturdy table is alright for casting. A piece of plywood on two sawhorses is how I started out.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
stephen45-70

Post by stephen45-70 »

Welcome to the dark side .
I will second buying lead from evanprice .. you will eventualy turn into a lead scavenger like the rest of us though.
I will also second range lead being a bit soft for rifles ... excepting the light pipsqueak loads
It may be a touch soft for the .40 s-w as well
You will also find wheel weight metal will do about everything you need it to do.

What molds did you order .. i think lee molds are a great way to get started
A lot of the lee designs have worked very well for me ... and darn good value for the money
At last count i think i have around 20 lee molds ... so yea i like them .

I am a bit biased against the rcbs and saeco molds as for nearly the same money and sometimes less i can get a custom mold made thats exactly what i want .

Ooh and depending on the design you orderdd i hope you remembered gas checks
Cloudwraith
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cloudwraith »

Both molds I picked up are Lee's. I went with C309-180-R and C309-150-F. The gas checks are the last thing I need to source, so far I've seen them about $35/1K. Does it matter if I go copper or aluminum?
BobK

Post by BobK »

Cloudwraith wrote:Both molds I picked up are Lee's. I went with C309-180-R and C309-150-F. The gas checks are the last thing I need to source, so far I've seen them about $35/1K. Does it matter if I go copper or aluminum?
$35/k is typical.

I've only used copper and they work fine. Can't speak to aluminum.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
stephen45-70

Post by stephen45-70 »

I have used thousands of both aluminum and brass checks ... cant tell a diferance netween them as to performance.
I use aluminum now because a made a check tool after the prices started rising.

If you have joined up over at cast boolits look in the vender sponser section for a vender
Named "blammer" he sells gas checks at a better price then you will find about anywhere else.
And he will actualy have some to sell you
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Make sure those aluminum checks are coated - bare aluminum oxidizes almost immediately and forms, well, aluminum oxide. If you are unfamiliar with the properties of aluminum oxide it is commonly used as an abrasive - look on the back of a sheet of sand paper, often the tan/brown colored sandpaper sheets are made from it. It is hard enough to abrade steel and could cause accelerated wear of your bore, especially the throat.

Personally, I'd use copper.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Cloudwraith
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cloudwraith »

stephen45-70 wrote: If you have joined up over at cast boolits look in the vender sponser section for a vender
Named "blammer" he sells gas checks at a better price then you will find about anywhere else.
And he will actualy have some to sell you
Thanks for the assist, just ordered my first 1K from him :)
stephen45-70

Post by stephen45-70 »

so have you gotten all your toys yet and poured some lead ?
if so i'd like to hear how it went
Cloudwraith
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cloudwraith »

stephen45-70 wrote:so have you gotten all your toys yet and poured some lead ?
if so i'd like to hear how it went
Not yet. It has been too cold and to be honest, the Olympics have taken a lot of my free time.

I do have most of my items. I'm still looking for a good cast iron pot at thrift stores. I may just give up and buy one from Harbor Freight although I may splurge and get one from Cabelas (has a thermometer hole in it).

I have about 200lb in lead wheel weights (I've sorted out 60lb of steel and about 30lb of zinc) I need to render along with 25lb of range lead already in ingots. I have 4 ingot molds including two lee aluminum and a couple cast iron ones I found while thrift scrounging. I also have about 10lb of pewter I need to render.

All of my actual casting stuff is ready to go I just need to get the lead rendered so I can start casting.