Kaboomed Marlin: RL7 is NOT AA#7!

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Kaboomed Marlin: RL7 is NOT AA#7!

Post by evan price »

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/444-m ... -more.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marlin 444 reloader Kabooms a rifle by buying Accurate Arms #7 (handgun powder) instead of Alliant Reloder-7 (rifle powder).
Says I need to be logged in to see the pics. But-
Luckily I was using a rest and not my left hand on the forearm. Pieces if the walnut forearm penetrated the shooting bench. I really thought I had found the powder everyone was saying I needed to use.
Pics are linked on the Castboolits site by BT Doctur:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... oooM/page2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let's be careful out there!!!
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Pecker

Re: Kaboomed Marlin: RL7 is NOT AA#7!

Post by Pecker »

This is why more companies should put more example loads on their labels like Hodgdon does.

It's a bit weird that some companies merely use a 4 digit designation for their powder without a sample of what types of loads it could work it. Not that I'm making excuses for this guy, but when you're browsing the powder aisle I'm always drawn to Hodgdon powders since they give examples of what types of suggested loads could be right on the label. At least I know it's a rifle or pistol powder.
Pecker

Post by Pecker »

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/218354 ... ess-powder" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Disregard...it's got a 1911 right on the jug.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Yeah I just looked at a powder burn rate chart and found out that RL7 ranks #93 versus #53 for AA7 :o Not even close!!
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
stephen45-70

Post by stephen45-70 »

a few positives here , he learned from his mistake without injury ,and he admitted his mistake

one thing i noticed ... no mention of a loading manual anywhere
after reading that thread and a few of his other posts i gather he may have gotten his reloading data from an unpublished source .. mainly the internet via a forum . and this may have caused his confusion on the powder issue.
how ever i have no way of knowing that for sure so i can not condem him for that .

there is a fool proof way to avoid these mistakes ... never ever think you are right . know you are right .
loading manuals are very clear on what powder to use and how much of it to use . and they are a very reliable source .
random people on a forum ... not so much
BobK

Post by BobK »

stephen45-70 wrote:loading manuals are very clear on what powder to use and how much of it to use . and they are a very reliable source .
+1

I've never used a load mentioned by some guy on a forum without at first reality checking it against my multiple loading manuals. Someone says, "yeah, 3.0 grains of Bullseye give great accuracy!" Well, if the book agrees with that load, I may try it, but certainly never without confirmation.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Yeah, sorry... or wait, not sorry. I simply can't find fault anywhere here with anyone other than the amateur chemist who thought he was a skilled handloader. Cannot & will not ever subscribe to even a hint or partial notion that ANYONE could have done anything different to "help" a moron to avoid hurting himself.

It seems to me that if he hadn't grenaded a rifle that day, he might just as well have gone home and drank paint thinner because he assumed that might also be a good idea to work on that indigestion he's had. :roll:

There are many pitfalls in the hobby of handloading, we build and execute a process of checks & balances to counter those pitfalls. This guy didn't make a "mistake" similar to one of the pitfalls we often see at a load bench, this particular person should NOT HAVE BEEN RUNNING A LOAD BENCH.

It's not for everyone, there's no shame in that. I wouldn't want this guy doing electrical work in my home or working on gas lines, either.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
landrvrnut22

Post by landrvrnut22 »

I recently had to buy some powder for my 308 loads. I looked at my load card, and it said 4895. I knew there was an IMR 4895, and Hogden 4895. So I went to my manual, and it reference IMR 4895 for the load. I checked a couple other sources to confirm IMR 4895.

Before I went to the store. I took a photo with my cell phone of the load manual, so I could reference at the store, and not buy the wrong powder.

This idiot would have saved himself alot of trouble and expense by doing something similar.

The old man that taught me reloading re-inforced checks. As in check, re-check, re-check, re-check, re-check, re-check, re-check, re-check, and if necessary re-check. Don't assume its right.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Your process is much more what he should have been doing, but I would hedge a bet that you knew that IMR and Hodgdon 4895 are certainly not the same powder, but they are AWFULLY close powders.

The two powders this guy interchanged couldn't be all too much more different.

It's like the recipe calling for a dash of salt and the cook instead dumping in a quarter-cup of strychnine. :shock: :x

The guy who did this bought & paid for the outcome and he absolutely got his money's worth. :|
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

BobK wrote:
stephen45-70 wrote:loading manuals are very clear on what powder to use and how much of it to use . and they are a very reliable source .
+1

I've never used a load mentioned by some guy on a forum without at first reality checking it against my multiple loading manuals. Someone says, "yeah, 3.0 grains of Bullseye give great accuracy!" Well, if the book agrees with that load, I may try it, but certainly never without confirmation.
This. ^^

I have been known to ask for favorite loads and such, but would never, ever, use them without checking them against multiple published sources. And I never, ever, rely on memory when loading. One container of powder on the bench at a time, one box of primers on the bench at a time, one box of bullets, etc. Sitting beside those items I'll have my desired load on an index card, freshly double-checked against the most current manuals I have. Then check caliber, powder, primer and bullet weight before beginning.

Why yes, I've been known to wear both a belt and suspenders, why do you ask?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!