Handloading .223 for AR-15

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CoronaGold111

Handloading .223 for AR-15

Post by CoronaGold111 »

Merry Christmas!

I've been reloading .308 for a single shot for about a year. I recently learned that sizing my COAL to match my chamber less about 0.020" or so should improve my accuracy. So I've loaded a few but have yet to try them out...

I'm loading a few .223 for an AR-15 this evening and it occurred to me to see just what COAL fits my chamber best. I was surprised to see about 2.400" COAL. You guys are probably about to warn me that ammo that long will not fit in my AR-15 magazines--I get that, 2.250" is about the longest COAL that fits in there. But my question is this, would a nice, spiffy, high-end AR-15 have a chamber that is closer to the 2.250" length? Also, this barrel has a 1-7" twist, so it is meant for heavier (longer) bullets. Is that part of the reason why this chamber is so long? Thanks!

- Tim
mreising

Re: Handloading .223 for AR-15

Post by mreising »

I load my heavy bullet (Berger VLD) ammo for the 600 yard single load stages long. Berger notes that the VLD bullets are more accurate when seated very close to touching the lands. I tried at various lengths from just touching the lands to about .020 off the lands determined using a Hornady gauge. The latest barrel, White Oak 1:7", preferred about .015" giving me the best accuracy. The leade in the White Oak barrel is less than in my previous Rock River barrel. The important thing to keep in mind for these types of loads is that each barrel will be different and what you have that works for one may cause dangerously high pressure in another. Always check for pressure signs when loading in this territory.

It is easy to spot the guys that are running with the bullets touching the lands: They are the ones on the line that call for a range rod to drive the stuck bullet out of their barrel after a cease fire is called.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.