380 acp crimp

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

stephen45-70

Re: 380 acp crimp

Post by stephen45-70 »

One thing that a person should pay attn to is the repeated statements on neck
Tension ... it is 100 % spot on correct

Now there is something you can try to preserve neck tension with the known
To be a pain .380
It requires a bit of time and a basic reloadimg tool every reloader has or should have
A chamfer tool
Take a few cases and give them a good chamfer .. a bit more then you usualy would
And then try seating a few bullets without expanding or flaring .

Obviously this wont help with cases that already dont have any necktension .
But it has worked for me .. it just slows you down a bit as you have to take care to
Keep the bullet centered and straight to prevent shaving lead .
Dewman

Post by Dewman »

Now that is a tool that I have and have never really thought of doing that to the 380acp.. But it sounds like a good ideal.
Allways remember when in combat your weapon was made by the lowest bidder
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

SAILORMAN wrote:Sevens,

You should try the Hollow Base bullets I load them with same powder charge same COAL as the Flat Bottom bullets can't tell the difference power wise. My occasional neck tension issues pretty much went away also when I started loading these exclusively. They say the longer bullet profile helps stabilize the bullet also but I am probably not good enough to really see that benefit. :-)
This is pretty much what I envisioned a couple of years ago when they released that bullet for sale. However... I have a thousand or more of the flat-base ones and I hardly load .380 at all these days. I may do a run of them here in the next couple of months. I won't be buying new slugs for that project as long as I still have these flat-base bullets.

.380 Auto is just not something that I bother with a whole lot. :oops:
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!