.45 Reloading question. Need a problem fixed.

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Josephnagy1

.45 Reloading question. Need a problem fixed.

Post by Josephnagy1 »

What am I doing wrong. I have been having a bit of trouble with my .45 reloads. I will make 50 rounds and 3-4 of them will not feed completely into the barrel. When this happens the gun literally becomes inoperable. The slide is jammed and I have to force the slide back on something hard to eject the round. Clearly I am making a mistake at a step in the process. I am using an RCBS progressive press. I am never had this problem until I started .45's. I have check OAL and it is 1.274 OAL for a .45 is supposed to be 1.275.*

Here is a picture of all the rounds and a picture of one of the rounds in a barrel.
What am I missing. How can 46 go right and 4 don't. I made them at the same time.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.p ... 1385923757

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.p ... 1385923644

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.p ... 1385923644
pirateguy191

Re: .45 Reloading question. Need a problem fixed.

Post by pirateguy191 »

Your links are asking for a user name and password.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

My best guess (since I had a similar problem when I started loading .45 ACP) is that your cases are slightly different lengths and the shorter ones aren't getting crimped quite enough. Take one of those rounds that aren't chambering properly and after backing out the seating stem, turn the seating die in 1/6 turn and run the cartridge up into it then try it again. My guess is that you'll be able to take care of it with a little more crimp.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Josephnagy1

Post by Josephnagy1 »

Ok so you recommend seating all of them a bit more? How do I know what OAL?
xracer

Post by xracer »

No, you don't have to seat them more, the main die needs to get screwed into the press a tad more to give you more crimp, then you turn out the seating plug a little to maintain the OAL that you had chosen (within SAAMI specs of course). With a 45ACP you don't need to crimp a great deal but you do need to ensure that the mouth of the case is straight and no longer belled to accept the bullet. There are specs in the SAAMI manual, you could look them up online for the min Overall Length and the maximum overall length. It is very important not to go under min for pressure reasons, it is important not to go over for magazine fit and feeding reasons. If your OAL is way to long it could cause the issue you describe but would probably happen to every round unless somehow you are not seating them all the same. I measure mine with calipers to ensure that they are all within a couple thousandths of one another, well, I measure every tenth round or so.
Last edited by xracer on Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep your eyes on the road and the rubber side down.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Josephnagy1 wrote:Ok so you recommend seating all of them a bit more? How do I know what OAL?
Yes, crimp them all a bit more. Keep OAL the same, just crimp a bit more. Assuming you have a single seating and crimp die, back out the seating stem so you don't seat the bullet deeper, then turn the die in 1/6 of a turn. Run one of the cartridges that gave you a problem back in that die, then check it. Try this a couple of times and if that fixes things, re-set your seating stem and make up a new batch and make sure all is well.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

One quick way to check is to plunk test the bullets in the barrel of your gun. Remove the barrel from the gun and see if the bullet will drop into it. Also, what is the measurement after reloading at the end of the brass, just before the bullet starts? OAL can vary by the load you're using. The reloading manual or manufacturer sheet will usually give you the bullet used (often the mold for a cast lead bullet) and the OAL for the load as they tested.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
BobK

Re: .45 Reloading question. Need a problem fixed

Post by BobK »

They are too long. seat them to 1.250
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

BobK wrote:They are too long. seat them to 1.250
Depends on the bullet of course, but SAAMI lists the specs to be between 1.190" - 1.275"
NRA Life Member

BobK

Post by BobK »

JustaShooter wrote:
BobK wrote:They are too long. seat them to 1.250
Depends on the bullet of course, but SAAMI lists the specs to be between 1.190" - 1.275"
I was looking at the pictures. They are too long. The bullet ogive is smashing into the rifling leade, and that is preventing proper chambering.

I am serious, make a few that are 1.250 in length and you'll see they chamber perfectly.

As info, the 1.275 SAAMI figure is the MAXIMUM allowable length, not the recommended length.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

Josephnagy1

Post by Josephnagy1 »

i will make a new batch tomorrow at 1.25.

what is saami?
mreising

Post by mreising »

Josephnagy1 wrote:i will make a new batch tomorrow at 1.25.

what is saami?
Sporting Arms Ammunition Manufacturers Institute. They maintain the specifications for ammunition, including maximum and minimum dimensions, maximum pressure, etc.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Josephnagy1 wrote:i will make a new batch tomorrow at 1.25.
Make just a few. I'd suggest making some with just case & bullet (no primer or powder) to make sure it is seating and feeding correctly before moving on to creating finished rounds.

With just case/bullet, you can load a couple of magazines full, and keep racking the slide to eject a round/feed a round. Get it working right before you actually load ammo.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

My experience concurs with BobK's. That was across a broad spectrum of .45 acp handguns both semiauto and revolver.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Josephnagy1

Post by Josephnagy1 »

Bob K that is a great idea. Thank you!!