10mm

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

shortland

10mm

Post by shortland »

all you guys out there please tell me about 10mm im contemplating buying a glock 10mm I heard it hits like a 44mag? from what I seen its a 45 case with 40 cal projectial?
glocksmith

10mm

Post by glocksmith »

I'm no expert on either cartridge, but if you research the ballistics, the 10mm uses lighter bullets than the .44 magnum - and at only slightly higher velocities. Guesstimating the math in my head...the muzzle energy, velocity and bullet weight of the 10mm...therefore its performance level is roughly 65 to 70% of the .44 magnum. IMHO, anyone wanting a snappy auto pistol cartridge would be better served by sticking with .40 S&W or .45acp. The 10mm has never been, nor will ever be a common ie. popular cartridge. I'm guessing that components and ammunition are more scarce and expensive as well. Maybe someone more knowledgable than me will chime in, but this is how I see it.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
shortland

Re: 10mm

Post by shortland »

I heard its a snappy round has better knock down power,i am carrying a g21 all the time ,love the 45 knock down power.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

A lot depends on what you are going to use it for. If you just want to own a 10mm, that's perfectly fine. But if you're thinking of swapping, I personally don't see any huge benefits since the .45 has for over 100 years proven itself adequate for close range personal protection. For concealed carry and self defense purposes, I think you'd be hard pressed to beat your G21's capacity of 13 rds of .45acp.

Lastly, in a Mad Max scenario, you are much more likely to be able to obtain .45 than the much less common 10mm.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

The 10mm pressures are a lot higher than a .45, it is not like a .45 case.

10 mm uses the same bullets as 40sw so components other than brass are not an issue.

Most 10mm guns are heavy, large frame compared to smaller 40sw guns.

A better comparison would be the .41 magnum rather than the .44. I believe 10mm ballastics are pretty close to the .41
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

shortland wrote:from what I seen its a 45 case with 40 cal projectial?
What you describe as a .45 acp necked down to .40 caliber is known as the .400 Corbon round, not 10mm. The .400 Corbon would require an aftermarket barrel for use in a Glock.

The 10mm auto round is straight walled and as you know Glock offers two models in that caliber. On paper, it looks like 10mm is slightly more powerful than the .400.

Ammo for either the .400 or 10mm is not commonly found, meaning it won't usually be inexpensive. If you don't plan to handload you should think twice about getting into either caliber.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

Loved my 10mms before I had to sell them when out of work. Will definitely be replacing them as funds permit. Same size as the .40S&W but with a longer cartridge. A round or two more than a similar pistol in .45ACP but no major increase. Energy wise, it depends on the load. Most 10mm loads are "FBI light" and not on par with the original Norma. DoubleTap makes full power and Winchester Silvertips are also up there. I had a Glock G20 and would recommend getting the Lone Wolf or other aftermarket barrel if reloading full power loads (my favorite was 180gr bullet with 10.7gr of Blue Dot, chronoed at 1270fps, also felt very close to the Winchester Silvertip). The reason for the aftermarket barrel is that the brass did bulge some with the factory barrel and full power loads. I had to run the brass through a pass through die to get it pass a case check gauge. No problems after putting in the Lone Wolf barrel. Much preferred shooting 10mm out of a Kimber Eclipse in that caliber but I also tend to prefer the 1911 to Glock. Energy wise, it's more between a .357 and .41 Magnum if loaded to original Norma specs.

You can find out a lot about the 10mm cartridge at http://www.bren-ten.com/website/id7.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

10mm on the left. 40S&W on the right.

Interesting comparisons between the two:
http://gearsofguns.com/10mm-vs-40-sw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The .40 s&w was designed after The FBI tested the 9mm and the .45ACP to replace their .38 spl revolver with a semi auto pistol because it could carry more rounds and would be easier to reload in the field. during the testing the Special Agent in Charge of the FBI Firearms Training Unit John Hall included the 10mm round, using his personal Colt Delta Elite 10mm semi-automatic pistol.

The FBI contracted Smith & Wesson to design a handgun to FBI specifications, based on the existing large-frame S&W 4506 .45 ACP handgun.They found that the could use less powder and still meet the velocity specifications and They also found that by shorten the 10mm case enough it would fit within their medium-frame 9mm handguns.

Smith and Wesson teamed up with Winchester to develop the .40 S&W and when the gun and ammo was released it was an immediate success with both law enforcement and the general public.
The 10mm and the .40 are very similar in most every way but in length of the case and typically the size of the charge of powder.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

shortland wrote:I heard its a snappy round has better knock down power,i am carrying a g21 all the time ,love the 45 knock down power.
"Knock Down Power" (TM) and it's closely related cousin "Stopping Power" is a myth. Newton's third law of physics would say that a bullet capable of knocking a bad guy over, would necessarily knock the shooter down as well.

Heres a good article series that helps to explain:
http://www.gunnuts.net/2013/01/31/lets- ... he-basics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gunnuts.net/2013/02/07/lets- ... not-magic/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gunnuts.net/2013/02/14/lets- ... ing-power/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stopping power as it is traditionally discussed, is a myth. There is no magic round you can stuff into a handgun of any caliber that will guarantee that the bad guy you hit with it will drop like a rock and offer no more resistance. Even if it’s a caliber that starts with .4, even if it’s got the latest greatest uber-super bullet design, even if through skill or luck you place the bullet in a vital area that will eventually take the bad guy’s life…you still aren’t guaranteed that it’s going to stop his hostile actions in time to keep him from harming you any further.
When it comes to handguns, shot placement is far more important than caliber. If you are hunting large 4 legged animals, the extra energy of the 10mm could be an important factor in breaking bone and penetrating vital tissue, but I wouldn't count on it being an instant death ray in stopping an attack from the two legged variety any more than most pistol rounds.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Klingon00 wrote: The 10mm and the .40 are very similar in most every way but in length of the case and typically the size of the charge of powder.

No, there are other BIG differences: 10mm has a higher pressure rating (37,500 vs 35,000) and a stronger case design than the 40SW.

The longer case length also gives it more room and less susceptibility to setback causing rupture.

Also, the 10mm is almost always in bigger guns with a better feed design (more room) which allows better case support. Usually, the 40SW is forced into 9mm size guns, a compromise. No one, AFAIK, tries to do that with a 10mm.

Ken
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

I really like my G29. I have a lone wolf .40 drop in barrel and it shoots .40s with the 10mm mags no issues at all. The doubleTap or buffalo bore 10mm are pretty snappy. When 9mm was scarce there was 10mm available, sometimes at better prices.
C'mon! We're all going to die, die standing up!
Double3

Post by Double3 »

I recently picked up a G20sf.

I've only ran a couple mags through it so far. Need to find some time to shoot.

I like it so far.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I owned and carried a Glock 29. I would MUCH rather carry a 10mm than an .45acp. I currently carry a 9mm. :?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

OhioPaints wrote:No, there are other BIG differences: 10mm has a higher pressure rating (37,500 vs 35,000) and a stronger case design than the 40SW.
Sadly the part colored in red is simply not true.

The use of a large pistol primer in the 10mm (when a small pistol primer would do just fine) results in a slightly weaker case design. To wit, you can actually run .40 S&W harder when loading externally similar rounds, by loading the bullet long in the case and using the extra capacity created by same. It's not at all the proper way to build a round, and it's certainly not in spec, but the large primer design of the 10mm brass is the limiting factor and the .40 S&W case beats it in that regard.

If someone (Starline, for example, who will make anything you ask upon request*) wanted to make the meanest, strongest 10mm brass ever -- they'd make it with a small pistol primer and it would simply be longer .40 S&W brass. (*please note that 'upon request' also includes tens of thousands of pieces in the order and more money than you'd believe...)
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Okay, Sevens, earlier on I mentioned the .400 Corbon, which seemed like something the OP was asking about, since he referenced a necked down .45 acp case.

Having brought up the round, I know very little about it, nothing firsthand. Whattya got on the .400 Corbon?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.