38 Special

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

SAILORMAN

38 Special

Post by SAILORMAN »

So here lately I have picked up a SmithWesson 38 Special Revolver. After shooting it I knew I would definitely want to reload this caliber. So yesterday went ahead and ordered the 4 pc Lee Dies for my Turret Press.

So today I went to Berrys Bullets to see what they might have available and was quite stumped to see no cannelure.

So after some web searching and reading seems to be two schools of thought on this. Some people still use the roll crimp but lightly others have purchased the taper crimp to use with plated bullets. I shoot a lot at indoor ranges so have to use plated or FMJ have always used Berrys because of the price. Somewhere down the line I will buy some Lead ones for when I do shoot outside. I am only looking to load midrange practice ammo at this time.

I would like to hear what your opinions on this are, use what I ordered already or go ahead and pick up a Taper Crimp Die as well?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: 38 Special

Post by JustaShooter »

Normally I like a crimp groove for revolver calibers, but with lead and plated (not jacketed) you don't need them for lighter loads. Since you are loading target ammo for .38 Special I'd just lightly roll crimp into the bullets being careful to NOT break through the plating.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Lee seater dies will taper crimp OR roll crimp without needing another die. You just tighten the die down more to get the roll crimp.
Most plated bullets will not have cannelures, and as long as these are normal 38 SPL you won't need it.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

I use Dillon dies with an RCBS expander on my Hornady LnL Progressive. So far I've only loaded Berry's plated and cast lead I've gotten from Fin, Feather & Fur (Quality Cast?) and have just used the standard roll crimp that came with the set. To set the crimp die, I use a case gauge and slowly move the die down until it passes the case gauge and then another 1/4-1/2 turn beyond that. No problems to date. Have always gone with 158gr bullets and usually load with TiteGroup because I've got a lot of it. 3.7gr for Berry's (730fps) and 3.5 for the cast (754fps). If I wasn't worried about IDPA power factors, I could probably go as low as 3.5 for the plated and 3.2 for the cast.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Lead 158 swc and 3.5 of titegroup is my standard 38spl load.

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

evan price wrote:Lead 158 swc and 3.5 of titegroup is my standard 38spl load.
+1

Even better is you can use that load for IDPA! Mentioned earlier that I got 754fps (4" S&W Model 67). Up until a few years ago it would have had to be at least 792fps with an 158gr bullet. But a few years ago the lowered the minimum power factor for Stock Service Revolver from 125 to 105 (665fps with 158gr bullet). Used this load this past Saturday at Ashland Lake and was very happy with how it performed. Me? Not so much!
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

dl1911 wrote:
evan price wrote:Lead 158 swc and 3.5 of titegroup is my standard 38spl load.
+1

Even better is you can use that load for IDPA! Mentioned earlier that I got 754fps (4" S&W Model 67). Up until a few years ago it would have had to be at least 792fps with an 158gr bullet. But a few years ago the lowered the minimum power factor for Stock Service Revolver from 125 to 105 (665fps with 158gr bullet). Used this load this past Saturday at Ashland Lake and was very happy with how it performed. Me? Not so much!
In my S&W model 10's this load shoots right to POI/POA on the fixed sights. I do a full roll crimp in the cannelure. Not a lot of recoil. No leading issues. It's not the hottest 38 spl load out there but it is very consistent and very cheap to load. 2000 rounds per pound of powder!
I also load the same in 357 mag, with 5.0 grains of Titegroup. Again, shoots right to POI/POA with my K's and Colts, not too much recoil, no leading issues.