Need powder recommendations for .500 S&W

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

glocksmith

Need powder recommendations for .500 S&W

Post by glocksmith »

Anybody here reload for the .500 Smith? I just bought some brass and bullets, but after researching the few available sources on the internet...the powders keep coming up Lil Gun, H110 and 296. The biggest problem is that my diverse powder stash doesn't contain any of these. I'm going to be using lighter bullets (300 to 400 grain range) and I'd like to find a faster burning powder so I can avoid the wasteful muzzle flash. Any recommendations? Thanks - any kind of advice appreciated since I'm just getting started out on a new cartridge.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
marca

Re: Need powder recommendations for .500 S&W

Post by marca »

I've been using Lil' Gun with 440gr cast bullets with gas check from Leadhead Bullets. I haven't experimented much, but this seems to work. I found the powder at Bass Pro.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

In my limited loading experience with this big monster, I've done all my loading with Hodgdon Lil'Gun also. I've used 300 and 500 grain bullets, both from Hornady. I've pretty much only dabbled with this one, and we've had no "tangible" purpose for these loads... or this gun, really, it's only EVER been about having fun, and shooting something HUGE. For those "needs", my loads have been quite successful. :P

If you run some searches on Lil'Gun, however, you might find some of the things that I didn't happen to find until well after I bought my 8 lb jug of the stuff and began using it. It's got a reputation for extreme, accelerated erosion. It seems to have garnered this reputation in Freedom revolvers and the .454 Casull round.

I was a little bit horrified as I continued my search on the big bore loads with this powder. I came to my own conclusion that I won't be buying more of it, and I won't be playing with it in .357 Magnum anymore (where it returned some impressive velocities with 158gr bullets, btw) but I will continue to use it in .500 Magnum. My reason? The gun doesn't get shot all too often, and if (when?) I can actually observe some manner of extreme wear in the barrel throat, I'll probably just put the gun in to the hands of Smith & Wesson and let THEM correct the issue. It's not well known, but the X-frame guns use a different barrel setup than the lion's share of Smith & Wesson revolvers... and S&W can actually replace the barrel with very little muss or fuss.

Bottom line? Lil'Gun performs well in the .500 Magnum, but if you chase down the discussion on this powder, you may find that it's harsh to the guns we want to use them in. :shock: I would simply go buy a jug of H110.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Thanks guys. Any information is good at this point in time. I'll have to do some digging on that LiL Gun erosion problem. I will say that the since the .454 Casull is involved...it could be the culprit. Everything about the .454 is extreme, and I've heard many experienced big bore shooters claim that the .454 is worse than other "hot" cartridges eg. .475 & .500 Linebaugh and the various .50's...including the .500 S&W. The .454 is extreme pressure, recoil and muzzle blast....that's why I'd never even consider having one. Still, your warning has given me cause to think twice - and I'll definitely research it before investing in any. BTW I think my Dad has a pound of H110...and he won't miss a few scoops :D
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
The German

Post by The German »

I have been reloading the .500 S&W for about 2 years now, but stayed with the published data (H110 and Hornady XTP in 350 and 500 grain). As little as I shoot this gun, neither the cost for the bullets nor the powder make a huge dent in my pocket. The most fun with this gun is when somebody with the "I can shoot anything without a problem and as much as I like" attitude shoots it :D
cabelas

Post by cabelas »

What is the barrel length on your revolver that you are concerned with faster burning powders and muzzle flash? Did you buy the 4” version? I got mine back in 2006 with the 8 3/8 barrel so take my suggestions in light of my gun.

In terms of bullet weights, 300-400 grains is really not that light. I have mainly stayed in the 350 - 400 grain range and all cast lead. In terms of vendors, I still have a decent supply of 400 gr FP from Missouri Bullet, but they only make small runs and don’t usually have inventory. They will promptly return your emails and give you general timing (at least before the big component shortage started). If you want lighter weights in cast lead, Dardas has a 330 and Penn Bullets has a 325 grain flat nose.

You still want a relatively slow powder to get good efficiency from this cartridge as is the case for most big bores with large case volumes. I have loaded mostly H110, but Alliant 2400 and AA#9 have given me very good results as well. Like you, I look at grouping powders to somewhat limit the number, and I use a lot of AA#9 in my 44 mag loads. Regardless, remember that you will be using a lot of powder in this cartridge. We are talking about only 200-250 rounds per pound! This means that you don’t have to worry about dusty, old canisters of powder lying about.

My stoutest load that I have shot is for a 400 grain cast lead flat point over a full 40 grains of H110. This clocks in at 1738 fps in my revolver. This is nothing short of impressive . . . painful but impressive nonetheless. My “standard” load for this bullet is a 32 grain charge of H110 clocking in at a respectable 1500 fps. This load still makes major :-)
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Thanks for the reply Cabelas. Yes, I'm getting the 4" barrel. I watch a lot of Youtube videos of the .500, and that muzzle flash that people think is so funny is all that powder burning outside the barrel. I say "light" bullets because 300-400 is on the lower end for the .500...I want no part of the 500 and 700 grain projectiles. I think the 275 gr bullets would have a very lousy SD/BC and wouldn't do well in a short barrel. For now, I just have a box of Hornady 350gr XTP but I'll probably end up mostly using my own hardcast GC's.

Thanks for the load data...the 1500fps from 32 grs of H110 sounds quite adequate for me...I'm not lookin to break any records. I've also got a couple pounds of 2400 already on hand and suspect that it might be a very good choice for my mild to moderate loading habits. I'm going to steer clear of the Lil Gun - because as Sevens mentioned above - there is an awful lot of chatter on the web about erosion, and the stuff seems to burn at very high temps compared to other powders. BTW I agree with The Geman that these are primarily novelty revolvers. I doubt anyone wants to use them for extended range sessions - too draining monetarily and physically.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!