First time out with Chrony, shot it.

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: First time out with Chrony, shot it.

Post by Mr. Glock »

Ten feet seems to be pretty standard.

Here is a tip...put up a target of some sort a few feet behind the chrono, look down the side of the barrel to figure out when the barrel is in the middle of the V, then use the sights to find a mark on the target. It's easily repeatable, so you don't brain-fart and hit the chrono.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Mr. Glock's advice definitely has worked when I've done the same thing.

I also have a Chrony brand chrono. The fact that it measures -EVERY- single shot, and accurately, -EVERY- single time is a big part of the problem I have with it.

The user interface and & lack of flexibility is why I don't like the thing. It's ability to see, measure and record shots are things it does incredibly well. If it would just be nice enough to SUCK at measuring bullets, I'd almost be quite happy to shoot it.

I'd love to own something different.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Sevens wrote:Mr. Glock's advice definitely has worked when I've done the same thing.

I also have a Chrony brand chrono. The fact that it measures -EVERY- single shot, and accurately, -EVERY- single time is a big part of the problem I have with it.

The user interface and & lack of flexibility is why I don't like the thing. It's ability to see, measure and record shots are things it does incredibly well. If it would just be nice enough to SUCK at measuring bullets, I'd almost be quite happy to shoot it.

I'd love to own something different.
You must have got one that actually works. I think mine was triggering on passing birds, the muzzle blast, heavy pollen, ect. It sure didn't see the bullets.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Mine almost NEVER ever misses a shot. It's frustrating, actually, because it works far too well to shoot the damned thing.

It just angers me that it works so well...
and packs so nicely...
...and has the worst user interface since the Merlin hand held game of the early 1980s -- and more frustrating than that is that I'm limited to a 10-shot string. That just plain idiotic and I hate that about this unit. That and the fact that the unit is set up to handle complex functions and does nearly every single thing through a series of two single click buttons... idiotic.

If you want to measure the speed of a bullet, this unit is fantastic.
If you want to get a genuine look-see at how well some loads work over a series of more than 10 shots, this unit will NOT do it.
If you want to take advantage of the "features" it does have, it's wildly frustrating to work with.

I would never buy another.
If it didn't measure each shot so well, I would shoot it simply on principle.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Orochimaru

Post by Orochimaru »

My Chrony has been shot twice...
Both times, thankfully, involved the poles (which are now dowels).
Both times it was shot by someone else...

Who shall go nameless. :lol:
The second amendment is why we're citizens and not subjects...

‎"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." St. Augustine A.D. 354-430
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

Orochimaru wrote:My Chrony has been shot twice...
Both times, thankfully, involved the poles (which are now dowels).
Both times it was shot by someone else...

Who shall go nameless. :lol:
You may not name them, but I will!

I shot it the first time, and then about 5 minutes later Muzzlereport finished it off for the day..

In an interesting twist of fate Sevens then shot his chrono with a Llama 45 I picked up about a year later...

Ya. I shot it. And I'd do it again! :twisted:
Pride is all well and good. But a sausage is a sausage.

All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I dinged a rod with the Llama and sent the rod flying. Actually, I did -not- find the rod.

IIRC, the chrony also measured THAT shot! :lol:

That pistol was actually pretty darn good, but ummm....
It did --NOT-- shoot to point of aim. :oops:

The wood dowels work fine.

I still kinda mostly half-loathe that Chrony. However I do giggle at what Natchez called it on the invoice.
"The Chrony Master Beta." Oh yes, that is a true story. 8)
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Sevens wrote: Master Beta
That is an interesting marketing ploy..... :shock:
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
pmspaul

Post by pmspaul »

Sevens wrote:If you want to measure the speed of a bullet, this unit is fantastic.
If you want to get a genuine look-see at how well some loads work over a series of more than 10 shots, this unit will NOT do it.
If you want to take advantage of the "features" it does have, it's wildly frustrating to work with.
This pretty well sums up the Chrony brand. I've used it for years and still need to keep the manual handy to perform simple functions. I guess you shouldn't have high hopes when 2 of the buttons are labeled FU & FORGET.

I've resorted to manually recording all the shots and feeding them to Excel to find out what I want.

I tried to kill it this summer with a 10mm. It didn't record that shot, but it hasn't failed to record one since.

It just works.

Image[/URL]
AJE

Post by AJE »

PSA: My 1911 shoots several inches low compared to my Glock 21. Important tip for anyone using them over a chrono.

On a side note, my Chrony works well despite having the legs on the left side totally blown off, as well as the sensor in the back taking the brunt of the force of the 230gr slug. Somehow it manages to still work. :?
Certified GLOCK Armorer
Dieps

Post by Dieps »

Funny stories. Thanks for the laugh. I don't have the courage to use my Chrony without resting on a bag and even then, I spend a decent amount of time lining things up. Mostly, I shoot .223 and set it up only 4 to 5 feet from the muzzle so lining it up isn't too difficult.