Any Hornady L-n-L AP Progressive Press users?

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mreising

Any Hornady L-n-L AP Progressive Press users?

Post by mreising »

I'm looking at getting a Hornady Lock-n-Load AP progressive so I'm looking for user comments from the group. I've checked some online reviews and as with anything there are supporters and detractors. If I get this, I'll probably sell both of my Lee Pro1000s so I'll go from two progressives to just one. I'll be keeping my single stage presses though.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Any Hornady L-n-L AP Progressive Press users?

Post by dl1911 »

Been very happy with mine. Got it 3-4 years ago and have made over 40,000 rds of 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP, .38Spl, .357, .380 and 10mm. Only problem I've had with it was when I forced it once and broke the primer feed mechanism. Called them up and new parts were shipped out that day at no charge. Didn't need to provide serial numbers, purchase date, etc. Just told them it had broke, these were the parts and they just wanted to know my address. Very pleased with it. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer them.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

I've had one for about 2 years. I'm very happy with it, but its the first and only one I've ever had so I cant honestly compare it to other brands. I will say that I don't use the bullet feeder. It just seems to be more trouble then its worth. Others more proficient with the bullet feeder may disagree.

Customer service is impressive. I broke a pawl that advances the mechanism. I called, and as dl1911 said, they shipped out a new part, and included a spare, the same day. They didn't charge a penny, even for shipping.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
sdelam

Post by sdelam »

I have had mine for 5-6 years now. It works well and have lost count of the number of rounds loaded with it. Customer service has been great with any user induced problems. My only issue with it is the priming system. I do not feel it seats them deep enough. They seat just below flush most of the time but not nearly as deep as a hand priming tool.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I am not up close & familiar with the priming system on the Hornday LnL, but I made a tiny alteration to my Lee Pro 1000 to give me an 'edge' in primer seating, so maybe my idea could be worked in to a tweak on the LnL?

On the P1k, priming happens when the handle goes to the top and the ram/shellplate lowers and bottoms out. The priming device is mounted to the underside of the shell plate on the carrier and the entire carrier is forcefully pressed against the top of the base unit of the machine itself.

I simply found a way to ever-so-slightly raise the small area where the priming pin makes contact with the machine's base and by doing so, the primer itself is pressed just a wee bit more firmly (and thus deeply) in to each primer pocket. It's been my experience in tens of thousands of loaded rounds that you've got almost irrational "give" in seating primers deeply without any manner of unintended detonation at the bench. (cocked primers, half way in pocket and other epic failures are a different matter, of course)

What I did was to snip a piece of spent .22LR brass, flatten out the little square of brass and use a piece of tape to place it directly under the priming device. So now when the shell plate carrier comes down and the priming pin makes contact with the base of the unit -- it's now forced to push that primer ~1/100th of an inch deeper. It makes a difference and my little "fix" has been in place for hmmm.... 40k or more?

It's nothing more than finding a way to make the priming pin just a wee bit longer, but travel the same distance. The net result is a primer that is driven deeper in to the pocket. So whatever method you can fashion to make the priming pin a wee little bit longer should work.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

I should mention that I don' t the bullet or case feeder. I would say to invest in the large bin for finished rounds. Also seeing a lot of nice third party options on Midway recently as well. Even without it, if I dedicate myself to making ammo (few if any breaks), I can make 400rds an hour without any trouble. Most of the time I take it a little easier but can still fill an ammo can every weekend. Usually spend the winter months wearing my arm out on weekends and then spend the summer shooting it in IDPA and practicing a lot year round.
Dale
true_pair

Post by true_pair »

I have had mine for over a year. I had a lee turret before this one and I like the hornady much better. The only thing that I wish was better is the whole priming system. You have to pick up the primers with the tube ( I belive Dillon is the same way). Press has a nice solid feel to it.
"The great object is, that every man be armed"

-- Patrick Henry, speech of June 14 1788
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

true_pair wrote:I have had mine for over a year. I had a lee turret before this one and I like the hornady much better. The only thing that I wish was better is the whole priming system. You have to pick up the primers with the tube ( I belive Dillon is the same way). Press has a nice solid feel to it.
Yup, Dillon uses the same method. Actually find their primer tubes easier to use than ones from Hornady. When I'm in major production mode, I'll fill 5 of them up at a time (that's all I have).
Dale
mreising

Post by mreising »

I decided to go for it. Now all I need to do is get my two Pro-1000s sold.

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
mreising

Post by mreising »

The Pro1000s have been good, but I need to reduce my reloading footprint in anticipation of moving into something smaller so that is why I decided to go with just one progressive press and one single stage and the LnL seems to meet my needs for a progressive.

Mark
Cosmos
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cosmos »

I recommend watching the DVD operation and setup before you assemble the new press. It saved me some aggravation if I had just read the manual.

I like mine so much that I have two presses on my bench. Be sure to grease the zerk fittings really good before you start using it.
NRA Benefactor
If the police are not present to stop a crime they are just armed historians.
A 1911 beats 9-1-1 every time.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's razor
Orochimaru

Post by Orochimaru »

I replaced my 1000 with an older LNL-AP that came to me looking mighty rough. It is running smooth and solid now -- a fine reloading press. You won't go wrong with either a Hornady or a Dillon, in my opinion.
The second amendment is why we're citizens and not subjects...

‎"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." St. Augustine A.D. 354-430
Scott08

Post by Scott08 »

I was a first time reloader and got the Hornady LNL AP. I've had great success. I took my time and went slow until I got the hang of things. Just keep it clean. Only issues I have had are when I spill powder and it gets in places where it shouldn't.