Creative Die Storage

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JediSkipdogg

Creative Die Storage

Post by JediSkipdogg »

So does anyone have any create ways they store their dies (in the turrets) and their shell plate carrier assemblies? I'm looking more along the lines of a shelf method. I'm crafty at making things and figured for the shell plate carriers I could just attach a dowel rod (the same size of the ram) on the plate but wasn't sure of the actual turrets.

I originally bought the Lee Die Rack but wow, is the image/size/title deceiving. I thought it held the turrets. Nope, just individual dies. :roll:

So what do others do or have they come up with/built? Images are most helpful.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
mreising

Re: Creative Die Storage

Post by mreising »

I store them wrapped in VCI paper and in a plastic box, similar to the Rubbermaid storage container.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

A buddy made me a neat little wooden holder.
It holds the turret too.

I have no access to a camera currently, but I'll try to remember to grab a pic soon.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GlockMan27

Post by GlockMan27 »

I made one like the first one in this post.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

GlockMan27 wrote:I made one like the first one in this post.
That's kind of what I'm looking for. I'll have to look at a Lee Turret and see if I can do the "slot" method. I just don't have a wide selection of tools to get too creative.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
BobK

Post by BobK »

First I went to Lowe's and got some 3" PVC pipe couplers and bright red spray paint. I painted the pipe Lee red and labeled with my Brother P-touch labels. The connector had an inner ledge that the turret sat perfectly on. Looked nice. I threw them out a few months ago and don't have any pictures.

Then I switched to using the quart size containers that my local grocery deli uses for things like cole slaw and potato salad. They have a lid on them that keeps moisture out. (Houston is very humid!!) The nice thing about the deli containers is I place the shell plate on the bottom, and then the turret w/ dies goes on top. The decapping pin rests nicely in one of the open shell plate slots, so it does not get bent or jarred.

Then I switched to simple screw-top tupperware from the grocery store. These were about 75 cents apiece.

Stackable too, if you need the room.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

My reloading room looks like Sanford and Son exploded. So I have crap everywhere. I keep the dillon shell plates and caliber conversions in their boxes and the dies in the heads on dillon stands that came with the press. The miscelanoious dies I hardly use stay in their boxes.... If I remember to put them back.
Pride is all well and good. But a sausage is a sausage.

All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Bob, do you think there's enough space for me to leave the Powder Measure on the die or would I need a super large container for that method. I'm sitting next to three more Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measures (so now I have four total) and two more shell plate carrier assemblies so I don't have to mess with taking anything apart and making adjustments. Here's my calibers that I load/will be loading...

9mm
40 S&W
45 ACP
.223 Rem

The 9mm and 40 S&W use the same everything on the bottom therefore I only need one shell plate carrier there. The 45 ACP the only change I will ever need to adjust is the large or small priming pin/primer feed depending on large or small primer. I'm nowhere near loading 45 yet so I haven't sorted that brass yet. The 223 Rem I've taken some stuff off and the die set is in a different order. Therefore I have three shell plate carriers and four turrets. One of each will always be in the press though.

Oh, not really tight on space, just ideas and tools. I do like the cup idea though. Of course, if I can find cups the right size of the turret plate only the powder measure can stick out the top.

Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Since most all of my dies are installed in 3-die turrets for the Pro-1000, I simply flip the bottom of the original round Lee die box upside down, and you can place the turret with dies installed right back in to the round box. They all sit in a drawer ready to grab.

Shell plates I keep in the tiny little plastic box they came in. I use a Sharpie permanent marker to clearly mark the caliber on them.

I'd snap a pic, but I can't. Really seems to work well for me.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
BobK

Post by BobK »

JediSkipdogg wrote:Bob, do you think there's enough space for me to leave the Powder Measure on the die
Nope. Don't think it will work. You'll need to try a different approach.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Sevens wrote:Since most all of my dies are installed in 3-die turrets for the Pro-1000, I simply flip the bottom of the original round Lee die box upside down, and you can place the turret with dies installed right back in to the round box. They all sit in a drawer ready to grab.
That's what I do too - have to wrap a couple of turns of scotch tape around the rim of the base to get a tight enough friction fit to be able to pick them up by the top though.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

JustaShooter wrote:
Sevens wrote:Since most all of my dies are installed in 3-die turrets for the Pro-1000, I simply flip the bottom of the original round Lee die box upside down, and you can place the turret with dies installed right back in to the round box. They all sit in a drawer ready to grab.
That's what I do too - have to wrap a couple of turns of scotch tape around the rim of the base to get a tight enough friction fit to be able to pick them up by the top though.
I haven't bought/seen a round die box yet. Yes, I've seen them online, but so far nothing I have bought has ever been in them.

Well, I bought some wood and am using a few ideas from on here, will post a completed picture when finished. :D

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

JediSkipdogg wrote:I haven't bought/seen a round die box yet. Yes, I've seen them online, but so far nothing I have bought has ever been in them.

Well, I bought some wood and am using a few ideas from on here, will post a completed picture when finished. :D
All of my Lee carbide 3-die sets have come in a round plastic "box". I even bought a spare to house my .223 dies and turret since they came in a square box.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

JustaShooter wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:I haven't bought/seen a round die box yet. Yes, I've seen them online, but so far nothing I have bought has ever been in them.

All of my Lee carbide 3-die sets have come in a round plastic "box". I even bought a spare to house my .223 dies and turret since they came in a square box.
Hmmmm, I've never gotten the round ones. I just checked and all of mine are carbide dies.

Here's what I just finished building....

I meant to get a dowel rod while at the hardware store for the carriers to sit nicely on, but it works for now. Even added two extra spots for future expansion as eventually I'll be reloading 300 win mag.

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Nicely done! Right now my bench space is more limited than my drawer space but if I ever have the room I'd like to do something like that.
NRA Life Member