Move over Rock Chucker

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

pmspaul

Move over Rock Chucker

Post by pmspaul »

I have hand loaded from a single stage Rock Chucker for going on 15 years now. I mostly reloaded for my rifles and revolvers. With ammo prices and availability being what they are and a son who wanted to learn about hand loading I had been ramping up my hand loading and component acquisition to include more pistol stuff.

Earlier this year my wife and I were at Cabelas in Columbus buying powder and checking the place out for the first time (at that location). I noticed they had Hornady LNL AP's in stock and pointed them out to her and said if she's ever looking for a present for me, that's something I'd like to get. I had been doing some research on progressives and decided that was the one that interested me the most.

Our anniversary is this weekend and I came home yesterday to find this waiting on the doorstep:

Apparently Natchez had them in stock for a decent price. So my trusty Rock Chucker is getting moved to the other end of the bench. My son and I set the Hornady up last night and cranked out the last of the 10mm test rounds I had been working on in no time. Granted, I wasn't able to fully appreciate the progressive press' abilities since I was hand weighing the 800x test charges. It was nice though to be able to produce a complete round with every lever pull. I've never tried throwing 800x from a powder measure, but have yet to read where someone has had good success with it. So it may not be until I switch over to 9mm that I fully get to enjoy this.

Anyway, I just felt like sharing and figured it might turn up some tips from Hornady users too. Thanks!

-Paul
BobK

Re: Move over Rock Chucker

Post by BobK »

Your wife sounds like a keeper!

Nice step up. Good luck.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Pecker

Post by Pecker »

I have been using the Lock n Load AP for two months now.

I love it. Great press. I managed to screw something up (completely my fault) and break a piece and Hornady had me a couple spares within 4 days. Great service.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

PM sent!
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
pmspaul

Post by pmspaul »

Sorry the picture got lost. Like a knucklehead I left my address info in plain view on the pic (Thanks Sevens). My attempts to modify it resulted in it getting deleted. Since threads are often worthless without pics, this will have to do: