What's the difference??

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

xpd54

Re: What's the difference??

Post by xpd54 »

You can even use small RIFLE primers. Lots of competitive shooters use them since they're a little hotter. I used them when I loaded 38 super years ago.
".....in the end we must still slosh our way through the factbound morass of reasonableness."
- Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia in Scott v. Harris

The views expressed in this post are my own. They have not been reviewed or approved by my employer.

My Blog
BobK

Post by BobK »

Werz wrote:After the re-sort, I lost 115 to small primer pockets. So what do I use with those? Small pistol or small magnum pistol? And how does that affect my powder charge?
I just saved them up until I got 1000 of them, and then they served as a single lot that I loaded.

I used ordinary small pistol primers. They worked just fine. I treated it like I was working up a new load, starting with minimum charge and working up looking for trouble signs.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Std. small pistol primer works fine.

The problem started when they were trying to get a non-toxic priming compound.
The new compound was hotter burning than the old. They had problems with the primer backing out of the brass due to primer pocket pressure going up faster than it could be bled off through the flash hole.
THey tried enlarging the flash holes.
They tried crimping the primers.
Then they went to small primers. Less compound. Problem solved.
Then they realized that they could make the process cheaper by using small primers in 45, more flexibility in production, no need to keep large primers in stock, or to change over the priming parts on the loading machines.
\And thus was born the small primer 45 acp.

Not that big a deal to sort, and I prefer the small primer brass and save it for my own use.
Heck, even the 357 Magnum used to use a large primer, and I'm sure there were old timey reloaders cussing when they ent to small pistol for that. But with no internet we never knew.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

10mm should have been made with a small primer instead of a large one. With a large primer on that piece of brass, it allows for a weak area that it needn't have had.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!