Lead reloads

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mreising

Re: Lead reloads

Post by mreising »

BobK wrote:
Dewman wrote:Well no good for me.

Bought some vance bullits and some SPP cci 500..
But need load data for 380 acp with 95 grain lead RN using Universal powder.

Can anyone help me out with this .. ??
Go to the Hodgdon Load Data website. If they don't have data for a 95 gr bullet, use the data for the next heavier bullet.
The last time I looked at Hodgdon's site they did not have any lead bullet loads for 380, only jacketed. I need to look at some of my other references to see if I can find something for him.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Closest thing that Lyman's 48th edition lists a 90gr LRN but no Universal powder. None of my other reloading resources have listings for LRN at all (except for a really old Lyman's Cast Bullet manual that was made before Universal was even produced...), sorry.

If a different powder isn't an option, you could take the Hodgdon listing for the 95gr jacketed starting load for Universal and back it off 10% and go from there. Be very careful though, watch for pressure signs and I'd also make sure barrel is clear between shots - sure wouldn't want to stick a projectile in the barrel and follow it up with another...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Dewman

Post by Dewman »

Ok finally made it out to the range.. Loaded 3 different loads.
1. 2.6 Gr
2. 2.8 Gr
3. 3.0 Gr
All at .970 OAL
CCI small pistol primers.
They all felt like Light loads no obvious deformation or sounds . So I shot a factory 95 grain FMJ that had a lot more kick to it..

The 2.6 and 2.8 had some unburnt powder. The 3 .0 was better .
Barrel had no lead as far as I could see.

Next Range trip will load up some at 3.2 and see how that does ..
Allways remember when in combat your weapon was made by the lowest bidder
BobK

Post by BobK »

mreising wrote:
BobK wrote:

Go to the Hodgdon Load Data website. If they don't have data for a 95 gr bullet, use the data for the next heavier bullet.
The last time I looked at Hodgdon's site they did not have any lead bullet loads for 380, only jacketed. I need to look at some of my other references to see if I can find something for him.
If you decide to try another powder besides Universal, Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook Vol 3 lists 92 gr lead data for 700X, PB, SR-4756, Bullseye, Red Dot, Green Dot, Unique, Blue Dot, 231, HS-5, and AL-5.

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook Vol 4 lists 90 gr lead data for Bullseye, Titegroup, Red Dot, 700X, Green Dot, Amer. Select, 231, PB, Unique, Power Pistol, and Blue Dot. It also lists 100 gr data for Bullseye, Titegroup, 700X, 231, Unique, and SR-4756. The 100 gr data lists Bullseye as "most accurate".
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Dewman

Post by Dewman »

That is one powder that I see the most of in lead reloads is Unique.
Is that because they have been around longer ?

On Hodgden's web site their powder burn rate chart list Unique as one above Universal.

Does this Meter very well ??
I use a Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure ??

Bobk I saw a picture of one of your cast bullets on the forum when I was browsing thru it the other day ..... Very NIce
Dewman

Post by Dewman »

Looks like I answered my own question .. It does not meter very well..from what I can get off the interent.
Will look at different powders to see what they are all about.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Unique meters just fine in my Lee Auto Disk powder measure, not what measures others are using that report bad experiences.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

There likely exists no other powder in the history of modern handloading that is both as popular and poorly metered as Unique, aka "combustible dirt."

Larger charges (in larger chamberings) tend to meter better for obvious reasons. For many, it meters well enough, and for many more, the results from using it regardless of how well it meters tend to be stable, consistent and gratifying.

I do not care for the stuff, but it still remains one of the most loved smokeless powders -EVER- offered, and for good reason.

If asked, I think a fine guideline is that if you have it and use it and like it, there's nothing else you should try if you are happy with your results. However if you don't own the stuff and have never used it, I don't see any quality reason to start now in the year 2013, unless you can get a pile of it cheaply or there's no quality substitute that you can get your hands on.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!