Slow powder 45acp experiments

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

weakhand luke

Re: Slow powder 45acp experiments

Post by weakhand luke »

I wish Alliant would admit their "Steel" shotgun power is great in some pistol and rifle loads and publish some data.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Alliant offers many terrific powders, but if you are holding your breath or wishing upon a star for ALIIANT to step up and come through with some really great published reloading data to take full advantage of their many great powders... forget about it. They offer the worst source of published and tested load data (by far) of any powder manufacturer/distributor in our industry. Anyone else is better at that game.

You might consider shooting an e-mail to ben.amonette <at> atk.com, however, as he can SOMETIMES offer a bit of help if the work & research had been done and not published. He usually responds fairly quickly by e-mail.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
suedenflames68

Post by suedenflames68 »

I put about 100 of my 4.6 gr w231 loads down range tonight. Im really diggin this load. Its light recoil and as accurate as I can hope to be. I actually had a guy in the stall next to me compliment me on my groups! I had to let the adjustment out on my hat a little bit. :lol: I guess practicing is starting to pay off a little.

Its nice to have a faster powder on the shelf instead of all stuff i bought for 10mm. I think im gonna have to find some more soon. :twisted:
Wow... not all THAT soon though...a lb will get me 1500 rounds of 45 instead of the 700 or so i get in 10mm! Thats pretty nice there too.

Still, its fun to experiment with oddball, unpopular stuff... makes ya realize why most folks stick to the popular choices. Kinda like when I demo'ed a Streetglide and realized that they REALLY are that nice. I still dont understand the JEEP thing though. :mrgreen:
BobK

Post by BobK »

Sevens wrote:Alliant offers many terrific powders, but if you are holding your breath or wishing upon a star for ALIIANT to step up and come through with some really great published reloading data to take full advantage of their many great powders... forget about it.
Since Alliant was acquired by ATK, their published reloading data is identical to Speer's data, and is generated in the Speer ballistics lab. Upside is they are publishing more calibers and loads. Downside is they only offer data on Speer products.

Their lead bullet load data really sucks.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I'm not sure when the actual company merge was, but their last GOOD data source was the 2005 Alliant printed guide. After that, indeed, exactly as you said. There may have been a bit of an overlap before ATK dumbed down all the load data, but I don't tend to follow corporate swallowings. :lol:

WAIT! I think ATK just bought OFCC. And White Castle. And Bali. :shock:
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!