Where to put the press

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MasterOfPupets

Where to put the press

Post by MasterOfPupets »

So, I'm getting ready to get my first handloading setup going (been doing it for a while with a friend's press, want to get my own finally) but I'm having a bit of a dilemma about where I should put my press. In my house I just moved into, I have 3 possibly 4 options.

1) Detached Garage. Decent location with lots of room, but I also do some carpentry out there (small stuff, like building a bench for the press) and I'm worried about all the sawdust that will be flying around out there.

2) Attached Garage. Another decent location. Heated. Less room, but enough for a full loading area with a press or two. Downside is that's where we park the cars, so the doors are open alot, giving full-view access to 2 streets (one mederately busy, on a corner lot) of what's in there. Don't really like the idea of people being able to see what I'm using and what I have, especially when I'm gone for 12 hours a day most days.

3) Basement. I like this area. Heated, concealed, private. Concrete floor for me to anchor a safe to (where I'll put my gun safe in the nearish future). Downside is the area where I'd have to put the loading bench is very close to the water heater and furnace. Not sure about the gas appliances and working with loose gunpowder right there. Maybe I'm just being paranoid though.

4) Upstairs spare bedroom/office. This is where I keep my computer and some other stuff. Not really sure about putting a loading bench in the room right next to the master bedroom though. Might make the wife a bit nervous having large amounts of explosive components right next to where we sleep. That, and with it being upstairs it will be far away from any good way of securing things like the primers and powder. I have kids visit the house rather frequently. I prefer to be able to keep those things far out of reach.

So, for the experienced loaders, what are your suggestions about where I should do it? They all have positives and negatives, probably some I haven't even thought of. Just trying to get an idea of what some people who have done this longer think.
Imcrazy

Re: Where to put the press

Post by Imcrazy »

I keep my stuff in the basement about 10-15 ft away from the furnace / water heater. You need to keep the supplies in a dry climate controlled environment.
-Aaron
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Something to keep in mind is that you probably don't want to use a carpeted room - vacuuming up spilled powder is a big no-no due to the fire hazard. Concrete or uncovered wood, and broom and dustpan are the order of the day. If it just has to be in a carpeted area, use one of those plastic carpet protector pads you see in offices to keep chairs from messing up the carpet.

I'm not a fan of using basements for reloading - often too humid, plus your location seems like it might be too close to the furnace and water heater.

Of your choices, I'd recommend the attached garage. Climate controlled (mostly, given you open & close the doors a lot), hard floor, out of the way, etc. As to your concern about being seen from the street, folks aren't going to know what that funny looking think with a lever / arm on the bench actually is. You'll want to keep powder and primers locked in a cabinet anyway to keep them safe and secure from curious children. It wouldn't hurt to keep your dies and other loose tools and equipment in the cabinet as well, locked or not is up to you, though I'd probably not worry about it.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

It seems common when the subject of handloading comes up that we see discussions about the stored components and how "dangerous" they may be. Indeed, they can be a problem in certain scenarios. If you have a house fire, you can have problems. However, it seems like the components we use have some aura of "scaryiness" about them that they don't necessarily deserve.

I am not a professional in these matters, but it seems to me that much of what most folks keep in the cabinet under the kitchen sink and in the bathroom under that sink are often as/more dangerous than the primers and powder we use. And it's no stretch whatsoever to suggest that the 2-5 gallon container of gasoline most folks have in the garage for the lawn mower is more dangerous than all of it.

Smokeless powder burns and burns. Think of it like paper. Paper doesn't do SQUAT when it's sitting around. You can even pile up fifty pounds of the stuff and it's just NOT going to light itself up. However... if you have some sort of a flame that get nears it, paper is going to burn like there's no tomorrow.

Primers are also quite stable. They are designed in such a way that they can be shipped across country and they take a royal beating on that trip and STILL don't detonate. I'm sure it has happened, but I'm quite sure that I've never heard of it. I would assume it's a horribly rare event.

If your primers and your powder are stored properly and away from open flames and sources of possible ignition, I submit that they are MUCH less dangerous than some of the crazy stuff we keep under the kitchen sink and that dastardly can of gasoline in the garage. There are storage guidelines for powder and while they are great guidelines, the legal requirement doesn't even enter the equation until you reach a particular threshold that a new handloader doesn't even approach.

Don't store powder or primers in any kind of sealed container. A gun safe is a BAD place for either item. And don't put them next to the furnace or -any- device which may cause a spark...much like you wouldn't put a stack of newspaper next to the furnace or stove top.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Of your four options, I like basement the best (for you), because I would assume that the basement gives you the most space to sprawl, especially while keeping a peaceful household. :wink: And if you really get in to this hobby... you will sprawl. Storing components is 1,000 times better & easier when you can enlarge your footprint. It becomes about your ability not to stack stuff up, but about how well you can find the things you've collected.

Again, I wouldn't worry about using powder or primers within the vicinity of a furnace or water heater. I would not store those items near those appliances, but I would not hesitate to operate my bench near them. I have, actually. I do again now, it seems. If your space in the basement is -THAT- small, then a smallish Rubbermaid tote can hold your powders and you can take them up from the basement when you aren't in a handloading session.

Next up would be the spare bedroom. IMO, this would be most ideal... if you were single. Fact is that you can use a bedroom for things that a basement is often not good for, so dedicating it as a loading room is losing that ability. For a happy household, the basement is a better idea. But the spare bedroom is the dream space for a hobby room. Again, the idea that "dangerous explosives" are near doesn't concern me in the lease.

Detached garage doesn't interest me unless it's very well climate controlled. Also, the idea that I have to put on shoes and make a trek outdoors will limit my travels to this space, no matter how much anyone would be able to admit it. For these reasons, this idea wouldn't work for me.

Attached garage, I completely agree. No good because of the access and view. Especially considering all your other options, I'd strike this one right off the list.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
MasterOfPupets

Post by MasterOfPupets »

Good to know I don't have to worry THAT much about ignition. The place I plan to put te press is about 15 feet away from the furnace in the unfinished portion of our basement. I think that's where I'm going to set it up.

Now I just need to get building a nice workbench.
The German

Post by The German »

Hmm - I like the detached garage best. You already have your "mancave" in there (no discussions around using up too much space elsewhere with the wife...), you can always add a small space heater if needed and in regards to the saw dust, a shop vac should be able to help.
The humidity critical parts like the primers could be stored in the house (or in a cabinet with some dehumidification solution).
Cherokee

Post by Cherokee »

I have always had my loading set up in the basement if the house had one. Works best for me and I think it would for you. Controlled access, away from things. Storage not a problem with components, just away from flame.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Those are all good ideas, but I still know how I operate.

If I can't go to the room with the goodies EASILY (no coat, no shoes, near the coffee pot, near the place the used coffee goes) then I'm so much less likely to trek out there.

Moved the detached garage in to the kitchen and them I'm on board! :lol: