Brass Values

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

XDm45

Brass Values

Post by XDm45 »

Does anyone know, or is there a site where I can go to figure the current values for different brass? I have alot of brass in calibers I don't shoot, or plan to reload at this time, and would like to trade for some of those which I do. A perfect example would be that I have a bunch of .40 brass, but no longer have a .40, and I need some .44 magnum brass. What's a good trade rate? 5:1, 3:1, 7:1? I dfon't want to get robbed, nor do I want to insult people who may potentially be willing to trade.
This Space For Rent
BigBill

Re: Brass Values

Post by BigBill »

In the end, the value of trading what you don't need for something you want is only settled in your own mind.

If you want to convert what you don't need into cash, check out some of the postings on http://www.reloadersauction.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you are more interested in trading brass you don't need for something you can use, pick a number to start and negotiate a settlement.

Personally, I'd rather give away brass I don't reload to friends, and hope they will remember me when they have something I need.

I understand that some brass (split, crushed, rimfire) is best sent off to a recycling center, but know that it will be turned into bells, door knockers, and faucets. Recycled brass almost never is made into new brass cases. Spent brass ammo cases are only kept in the arena of shooting sports if we recycle it within the sport of reloading. Even rimfire cases can be swaged into jacketed bullets.
If you don't stand for something, You'll fall for anything.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

40 brass is realistically worth about 4-5 cents each today, and 44 mag brass is worth easily 15-20 cents each. Premium stuff like all matching polished 1X Starlines can get a quarter a piece.

So figure roughly 4:1 or thereabouts.

40 brass right now is only worth that much due to the ammo crunch. It was trading under 3 cents a piece last year. Two years ago I was happy to get 2.5 cents a piece for it which was only slightly above scrap melt value. By comparison, 44 mag brass has always gotten me 15 cents a piece minimum.
Once the ammo stupidity is over and the supply chain fills up again look for it to drop like a stone back to where it was. There's normally a glut of 40 and 9mm brass.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
XDm45

Post by XDm45 »

So if I offer 5:1, I should be safe, thanks for the replies guys.
This Space For Rent