Shooting Vances Cast Bullets through Semi-Auto Pistols?

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

propertymanager

Shooting Vances Cast Bullets through Semi-Auto Pistols?

Post by propertymanager »

Has anyone actually handloaded Vances Cast Bullets and shot them in a semi-auto pistol, like a Glock or S & W? With the shortage of reloading supplies, I bought a box of Vances cast bullets in 9mm and .45 cal and am planning to reload them and shoot them in my semi-auto pistols.

Your thoughts and experience much appreciated!
Mike
OFCC Member
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Shooting Vances Cast Bullets through Semi-Auto Pistols?

Post by dl1911 »

Can't speak for Vance's bullets but have shot quite a few 200gr .45 LSWC that I picked up at Fin over the past few years. That said, while there are many opinions, I've always heard that you should not shoot cast bullets through a stock glock barrel or any other with polygonal rifling. Not a problem if you've got a Lone Wolf replacement barrel which uses standard rifling. There are many that have been using cast bullets in stock Glock barrels for "years with no problems" but I'm more the safe than sorry type. If you do choose to do so, check the barrel often for signs of leading and clean it often as well. May try 9mm cast bullets sometime later this year if the shortages continue.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
Sneakypete
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Sneakypete »

I've shot thousands of Vances lead cast bullets, with zero problems, 147 9mm & 175 .40 cal.
Duty, Honor, Country.
These three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be.
-Gen Douglas MacArthur

You have never lived until you have almost died.
For those who have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Before I cast my own bullets, I shot a ton of Vance's without issue.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Not that it matters a whole lot, but these are Vance bullets out of Rushelvania, Ohio, and I would imagine that it's all well and good if you know the guy and figure they are HIS bullets that you refer to them as Vance's... and it's truly not that I'm a big stickler for little stuff... but think it at least makes sense to note fully that these bullets have nothing to do with the super, mega, huge, long-time gun store in Columbus, Vance's Shooter Supplies.

In fact... they don't even sell them there.

I shot thousands of these through my 1911, .45.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

This was a fun read back in ought-8...

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17941" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

Sevens wrote:Not that it matters a whole lot, but these are Vance bullets out of Rushelvania, Ohio, and I would imagine that it's all well and good if you know the guy and figure they are HIS bullets that you refer to them as Vance's... and it's truly not that I'm a big stickler for little stuff... but think it at least makes sense to note fully that these bullets have nothing to do with the super, mega, huge, long-time gun store in Columbus, Vance's Shooter Supplies.

I started to get all excited about making a trip up to Vance's shooter's supply until I read this. Where are people obtaining cast bullets locally? Are Vance bullets only available for mail order?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Klingon00 wrote:
Sevens wrote:Not that it matters a whole lot, but these are Vance bullets out of Rushelvania, Ohio, and I would imagine that it's all well and good if you know the guy and figure they are HIS bullets that you refer to them as Vance's... and it's truly not that I'm a big stickler for little stuff... but think it at least makes sense to note fully that these bullets have nothing to do with the super, mega, huge, long-time gun store in Columbus, Vance's Shooter Supplies.

I started to get all excited about making a trip up to Vance's shooter's supply until I read this. Where are people obtaining cast bullets locally? Are Vance bullets only available for mail order?
No, Vance's sets up at some gunshows in SW and central Ohio. Always seems to be at the Goodman Hara Arena shindigs.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Klingon00 wrote:I started to get all excited about making a trip up to Vance's shooter's supply until I read this. Where are people obtaining cast bullets locally? Are Vance bullets only available for mail order?
Vance bullets are not available mail order. Matter of fact, it's eerie the was these guys have like ZERO web presence whatsoever. I don't know the specifics of where they are located so I don't even know if they do local pickup, but Rushelvania is somewhere near Indian Lake, IIRC.

For a while, Vance's Shooter Supplies were carrying another line of locally casted bullets, Patriot bullets out of Newark, but my experience with those bullets left a lot to be desired and I hesitate to recommend them.

Used to be that Vance bullets were at every Westland & Vet's Memorial show, but I don't think I've bought them since '07 or so.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

I've had great success with Quality Cast bullets out of Stow Ohio. They make a nice lookin lead bullet.
Pride is all well and good. But a sausage is a sausage.

All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo.
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

Gaspode wrote:I've had great success with Quality Cast bullets out of Stow Ohio. They make a nice lookin lead bullet.
Bob makes nice bullets.
CMcLeish
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CMcLeish »

What is the opinion on Dardas? I bought a couple thousand from them and getting ready to load up.
NRA Life Member
OFCC Patron Member
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Dardas is my main source for commercial cast bullets. I tried them because they were on the shelf of a local gun store. (well, local-ish to where they are made, not local to here) and I liked them a lot and from there, began ordering them directly from Matt. I use them exclusively in 9mm (his 125gr LRN), and that's across five different 9mm handguns. I've only dabbled with them in .38, .357 and .45, but in 9mm, I've loaded and sent around 6k of them downrange. I power them with Hodgdon Universal.
http://www.dardascastbullets.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good people, great bullets. I -much- prefer them to Vance bullets, but either are better than the Patriot bullets floating around locally.

I've also had great experience with Penn Bullets and Penn has quite a wide selection if you like to goof with different odd shapes, sizes and weights. Mr. Palermo from Penn is also a fine gent to do business with, but if I have to level some constructive criticism, it's that his online ordering interface is horrific. His web site works well, but he needs a computer geek to address his ordering system.

Penn makes a killer little .32cal slug that I've been launching with my .327 Federal Magnum. He also makes a 180 grain truncated cone .357 bullet that has proven to be insanely accurate for me. The choices and selection from him is an absolute treat to sift through.
propertymanager

Post by propertymanager »

Thanks for the info guys! I'm definitely going to try reloading some and giving them a shot!
Mike
OFCC Member
4pocalypse

Post by 4pocalypse »

Gaspode wrote:I've had great success with Quality Cast bullets out of Stow Ohio. They make a nice lookin lead bullet.

I just bought some of these at Fin and loaded them up but I have not shot them yet. They look really nice
Fail to plan, plan to fail