Suggest a digital scale?

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

igolfat8

Suggest a digital scale?

Post by igolfat8 »

I have an older Lee balance scale that has worked well over the years. However, my eyes are getting worse so I am looking for a scale that is easier to "see". Looking for a digital powder scale but I don't want to take out a second mortgage. Any suggestions for a value priced and accurate / repeatable scale would be appreciated or even ones to steer clear of?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Suggest a digital scale?

Post by JustaShooter »

Get one of these http://www.amazon.com/Third-Hand-Solder ... B000VB6HSM (you can probably find them cheaper, that's just an example) and a small mirror and do this: http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... am-scales/

Who needs a digital scale to help with old eyes? 8)
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
igolfat8

Post by igolfat8 »

I actually wear a headband magnifier when I reload and its still difficult to see the scale increments.
XDm45

Post by XDm45 »

Techmike just did a large scale comparison a few threads down...
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=70461" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This Space For Rent
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

The Lee safety scale is probably one of the more difficult ones to read. Have you looked at any other types of beam scales to see if they may work better?
igolfat8

Post by igolfat8 »

No I have not. I just figured a digital display would be easier to see.
mreising

Post by mreising »

Digital scales are not the be all and end all of scales. Some are okay but they will be more expensive, the low end scales are not adequate for measuring charges, in my opinion. The article referenced above gives a good discussion and review of digital scales and comes up with one that is good. A good Ohaus beam scale is an improvement over the Lee, which is an adequate scale but as mentioned difficult to read.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
e3mrk

Post by e3mrk »

I have read in a Gun Magazine (don't remember which one) that the Beam Scale is more accurate than the digital type and is able to take sharp bumps better.
Not that there is anything wrong with the digital kind but from experience at work I tend to agree.
new57

Post by new57 »

It is not digital, but maybe you'll find it easy on your eyes? The Dillon Eliminator.
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

I prefer digital scales. That preference was born during 15 years of employment by Roche Biomedical labs, and having to repair scales and balances. IMO, the major problem with current digital "reloading scales" is that most every reloading supply company markets at least one reloading scale. These are typically low end scales that (if it works) is marginally adequate for reloading use. I have a real nice Cabelas scale that works great for pistol reloading - just dumping a volume of powder to verify I am throwing consistent charges. It is unsafe to trickle rifle loads to it however. The trick is to find a digital scale that isn't branded as specifically for reloading. I have a real nice NIB scale for sale, it was only used for testing and evaluation. It passed all tests, is accurate to 0.1 grain, large back lit display, 30 year warranty that transfers to new owner. PM me if interested.

Mike
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788