Midway has broken my heart.

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

XDm45

Midway has broken my heart.

Post by XDm45 »

SO i ordered my press a few weeks ago knowing that it was backordered until 3/4. Then they moved the backorder date out to 3/8, no big deal. I checked it yesterday, and they moved the backorder day out until 5/29.... ouch...
This Space For Rent
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Midway has broken my heart.

Post by Mustang380gal »

You can console yourself by knowing there are not many components or powder available, either.

Maybe by May, that might be corrected, at least a little.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
XDm45

Post by XDm45 »

lol, that's true, I have been slowly stocking up on what I can find, and will continue to do so while I wait i guess. On the bright side, my bench is built in stained, and my brass is all getting cleaned. Whenever the thing does get here, I should just need a little instruction, and I'll be good to go.
This Space For Rent
mreising

Post by mreising »

So what did you order :?: At least everyone can live vicariously through your purchase.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
XDm45

Post by XDm45 »

the lee loadmaster setup for .45
This Space For Rent
CMcLeish
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CMcLeish »

I'm a newbie - loaded my first rounds ever today on all brand new equipment. Was very slow and it went well except I really struggled with my digital scale. Did not have warm and fuzzy feelings with it. If you have your scale you might be able to practice weighing your empty casings, bullets, powder charges and primers so you can more easily troubleshoot your loads once you get your equipment.
NRA Life Member
OFCC Patron Member
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Sorry about your Midway order. I second the motion of stocking up on components during your forced wait, and don't forget to read - there are a bunch of good books and articles out there that would be great to peruse before you actually start to pour powder.
Hey CMcLeish, problems with a digital scale? Read about my fun time with digital scales Here.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

CMcLeish wrote:I really struggled with my digital scale. Did not have warm and fuzzy feelings with it.
I'm not a fan of digital scales, seems like there is too much that affects them, and even in the best of circumstances they are a bit finnicky. I recommend a good beam scale, especially for beginners.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
mreising

Post by mreising »

JustaShooter wrote:
CMcLeish wrote:I really struggled with my digital scale. Did not have warm and fuzzy feelings with it.
I'm not a fan of digital scales, seems like there is too much that affects them, and even in the best of circumstances they are a bit finnicky. I recommend a good beam scale, especially for beginners.
Many digital scales do not do well with measuring small quantities, especially if they are slowly trickled into the pan, as often is done to reach your charge weight. You need a balance scale. Even the Lee Safety Scale is good, albeit a little difficult to read easily; it works well when you have a predetermined weight you are measuring but it is not so easy to use for weighing unknowns. Your digital scale is good for weighing bullets for example, but less useful for measuring powder charges.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
mdad

Post by mdad »

Pretty disappointed with them myself, just after making a comment on here about magazine adapter for my M&P not being available , I ordered it, it fits so loose I can't use it, plus got a mag extension and it won't fit at all. :(
The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein
Life Member NRA
Life Member North American Hunter
CMcLeish
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CMcLeish »

Thanks for the advice with the scale. Dad gave me all his reloading equipment including beam scale, might be time to go pick it up and give it a go.

To the OP, I ordered my press and dies (Hornady LNL AP) on sale at Christmas time from Cabelas and it took over 2 months to ship. I kept checking all the sites and even Ebay while waiting. There were a lot of Lee presses on Ebay set up for popular handgun calibers while I was looking. There were also Dillon progressives with entire collections of dies and equipment to be had.
NRA Life Member
OFCC Patron Member
XDm45

Post by XDm45 »

I thought about going the ebay route instead of waiting it out, but it almost doubles in price that way. I got the press, with all the goodies and dies for 45 for 219 plus shipping.
This Space For Rent
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

I could loan you a Rockchucker.....

Patience grasshopper, patience....

Maybe you can start collecting wheel weights and casting equipment in the meanwhile.
BobK

Post by BobK »

XDm45 wrote:SO i ordered my press a few weeks ago knowing that it was backordered ....
What are you going to mount your press on? Have you got your loading bench figured out?
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
XDm45

Post by XDm45 »

My buddy and I built a bench last week...
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=70824" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
you commented on it lol
This Space For Rent