.223/5.56 reloading die question

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Hedgelj

.223/5.56 reloading die question

Post by Hedgelj »

I am looking for information regarding what die I want to use for my modern sporting rifle. I will be reloading for plinking as well as for longer range accuracy/hunting.

I have a Bonanza (Forster) Co ax press.

I was looking at the RCBS Competition set but that requires me to switch out my shell holder every time I would use it so I'm tossing that one. I am now looking at the Forster .223 set (full length sizing and benchrest seating die) which are about the same price as the RCBS ones at one site I went to (and in stock). Other suggestions?

My question is that when I have read online for information I have read multiple different opinions regarding standard crimping vs roll crimping vs only the neck tension of the case when used in semi auto firearms. Thoughts? help?
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: .223/5.56 reloading die question

Post by techmike »

Hedgelj wrote: I have a Bonanza (Forster) Co ax press.
I was looking at the RCBS Competition set but that requires me to switch out my shell holder every time I would use it so I'm tossing that one.
Please correct me if I am wrong: your press comes standard with the "S" shell holder. To work 5.56/.223 brass, the shellholder jaws have to be configured with the smaller end in. I don't see how the dies have anything to do with the shellholder. I must be missing something, please advise.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Hedgelj

Post by Hedgelj »

techmike wrote:
Hedgelj wrote: I have a Bonanza (Forster) Co ax press.
I was looking at the RCBS Competition set but that requires me to switch out my shell holder every time I would use it so I'm tossing that one.
Please correct me if I am wrong: your press comes standard with the "S" shell holder. To work 5.56/.223 brass, the shellholder jaws have to be configured with the smaller end in. I don't see how the dies have anything to do with the shellholder. I must be missing something, please advise.
To use the RCBS competition dies I need to remove the shell holder and replace it with a normal shell holder.
FAQ-Co-Ax® Press 9 Use of Forster's Co-Ax® Press with RCBS seating dies
Q. I have just purchased your Co-Ax® Press and my question is this: Can I use my RCBS competition seating die which has an extended shell holder? Is there an adapter for a regular shellholder? I am very impressed with your press. I have checked concentricity and have gained 3 to 4 thousands, checked with your Co-Ax Press and Case and Cartridge Inspector. I am looking forward to using the Co-Ax® Press with my RCBS competition die set.
A. Yes, you can use it with standard shellholders. You need to purchase our Shellholder Adapter Plate (part # AP1000). This accessory allows you to remove the automatic, self-acting jaws and allow you to use any standard shellholder in the Co-Ax® Press
http://www.forsterproducts.com/store.as ... atid=19938" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BigV

Post by BigV »

Back to the question...
I don't crimp .223 at all. My AR runs flawlessly with all my reloads.
I have shot well over well over 5,000 non crimped .223 reloads not one single issue.
I"m sure others will agree that no crimp in needed for an AR, while some will disagree and crimp theirs.
BigV
shooterwolf

Post by shooterwolf »

No crimp/no problems here.

S.W.
Joshs9mXD

Post by Joshs9mXD »

I do a light crimp I just started to reload
If Guns Cause Crime,
Matches Cause Arson.