My first video

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Joshs9mXD

My first video

Post by Joshs9mXD »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSZcV6g4R9Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is me tell me what you think! :)
If Guns Cause Crime,
Matches Cause Arson.
Brian D.

Re: My first video

Post by Brian D. »

Hello. Thanks for sharing your video with us. Now for the harsh words of criticism...

I always thought it a bad idea to have the distraction of a television in my reloading room. Like to keep my focus on the task at hand. Usually that also means leaving the answering machine to handle landline phone calls. And my cell phone is normally switched off during reloading sessions too.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
BobK

Post by BobK »

You need a reloading tray.

Not a good idea, IMO to go straight from the powder drop to inserting the case in the press and seating the bullet. I'll try to link to the discussion from my phone, but if I can't, then search for "reloading tray" and user BobK from the last couple of days and you'll see some posts made by Sevens and myself.

Edited: http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... 7#p4178067" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I know squat about reloading but would like to commend you on your efforts to educate us about it....

As for what your bench looked like NEW and neat I give you a "A".......

Take all the criticism you get and use it...It comes from people with a lot of experience......
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

Turn tv off, focus on what you're doing. :lol:

I've subscribe to you're channel.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

Some people are capable of producing quality loads with a television on contrary to popular belief. I don't listen to the radio, so I use the tv for background noise.
Pride is all well and good. But a sausage is a sausage.

All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Gaspode wrote:Some people are capable of producing quality loads with a television on contrary to popular belief. I don't listen to the radio, so I use the tv for background noise.
That may be so, but for an instructional or even demonstrational video, I would think removing any distractions in the video would be a good thing.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Did you really make those .223 rounds yourself?
I think the government had a hand in it too.
:P

"E" for effort.
Take the advise offered here.

Good luck!
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joshs9mXD

Post by Joshs9mXD »

The T.V. Is just for background noise, Reloading trays are on there way. Thank you guys for watching.
If Guns Cause Crime,
Matches Cause Arson.
HancockCountyHAl

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

BobK wrote:You need a reloading tray.
Not a good idea,
I have an old plastic sandwich spread tub that I put 50 prepared cases in. I pick up a casing, charge it with powder, pick up a bullet, seat and crimp, and then put the completed round in another tub. What am I missing?
HancockCountyHaL
45Automatic

Post by 45Automatic »

I used to hand load with a lit ciggarette hanging out of my mouth. :shock:
Anyway, thanks for sharing the video.
“Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.” -Benjamin Franklin
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

HancockCountyHAl wrote:
BobK wrote:You need a reloading tray.
Not a good idea,
I have an old plastic sandwich spread tub that I put 50 prepared cases in. I pick up a casing, charge it with powder, pick up a bullet, seat and crimp, and then put the completed round in another tub. What am I missing?
Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I prepare a tub of brass, and then process 5 rounds at a time. Weigh the powder, charge the case, after 5 are done and in my loading tray, get the mini-mag and visually check/compare powder levels in all 5 cases - just a last sanity check to insure a single charge in every case. Then seat the bullets. - Just saw the link to Bob's post saying the same thing, only much better!

Josh, nice vid, I keep a tv on in the background when reloading, but it is behind me, so that I don't lose my focus on the task at hand.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
BobK

Post by BobK »

HancockCountyHAl wrote:I have an old plastic sandwich spread tub that I put 50 prepared cases in. I pick up a casing, charge it with powder, pick up a bullet, seat and crimp, and then put the completed round in another tub. What am I missing?
A loading tray is safer because there is less risk of a momentary distraction creating a risk of an uncharged or double-charged case.

I know it is easy to say "it won't happen to me", or "I wouldn't do that", but the evidence gathered over the years from thousands of handloaders is sooner or later someone drops something or the floor, the wife comes in to ask a question, the phone rings, or something else happens that interrupts the routine. Then the risk is the handloader resumes what they were doing with a mental brain fart about skipping a step or doubling a step.

When a completed lading tray is now filled and the next step is to get out the flashlight and check all the cases, that is a step people will not miss performing.

There is a lot of accumulated reloading wisdom when it comes to safety practices that I simply choose to accept instead of trying to reinvent everything for myself.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Cmazzac

Post by Cmazzac »

BobK wrote:
HancockCountyHAl wrote:I have an old plastic sandwich spread tub that I put 50 prepared cases in. I pick up a casing, charge it with powder, pick up a bullet, seat and crimp, and then put the completed round in another tub. What am I missing?
A loading tray is safer because there is less risk of a momentary distraction creating a risk of an uncharged or double-charged case.

I know it is easy to say "it won't happen to me", or "I wouldn't do that", but the evidence gathered over the years from thousands of handloaders is sooner or later someone drops something or the floor, the wife comes in to ask a question, the phone rings, or something else happens that interrupts the routine. Then the risk is the handloader resumes what they were doing with a mental brain fart about skipping a step or doubling a step.

When a completed lading tray is now filled and the next step is to get out the flashlight and check all the cases, that is a step people will not miss performing.

There is a lot of accumulated reloading wisdom when it comes to safety practices that I simply choose to accept instead of trying to reinvent everything for myself.
Guilty.... :oops:

Post by Loading »

I'm pretty new myself, and have music on all the time.
For sure use a reloading tray. 2 old empty plastic holders from 9mm ammo work just fine.
But you will find the real tray will work better because they space the rounds out.
I weigh every round so the funnel fits better. And easy to pick up for the press.

I clamp a 2x12 with my press on it to my desk.
Limited space in our rental.

I put my powder drop on a Hornady LNL collet and put it on the press.
Drilled 1 1/8" holes in a 2x4 to hold the LNL dies and powder drop when not in use.

I would hate to think what I would do if I had that space.
R.I.P The Late Great Sir Winston 1-5-01 to 8-10-13