Thinking about building a tumbler

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rradenheimer

Thinking about building a tumbler

Post by rradenheimer »

So I have seen quite a few different tumblers now, and think I am going to try to build a wet tumbler, and use stainless steel pellet media. I like to tinker, and was looking at these sites of a guy who built his own, and figured this would be a cool little project.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.p ... pic=130815" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=344986" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a link to the ones I was looking at online:
http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone here use this type of tumbler? If so could I get some pro's/con's?
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
SarTec

Re: Thinking about building a tumbler

Post by SarTec »

Why even mess with a tumbler. If you want to clean brass cut a leg off an old pair of Jeans and ziptie one end shut. Place the brass and a damp wash cloth in the leg and ziptie the other end shut. Throw it all in the clothes dryer for about 15 minutes and you'll be amazed at the polish job.
Joshs9mXD

Post by Joshs9mXD »

I can hear it now... CLANG CLANK BANG BAM SMASH SLAP BOOM.... (wife) What did you put in the dryer? :twisted:
If Guns Cause Crime,
Matches Cause Arson.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Joshs9mXD wrote:I can hear it now... CLANG CLANK BANG BAM SMASH SLAP BOOM.... (wife) What did you put in the dryer? :twisted:
Followed quickly by "What the &$(#% is wrong with you???!!!!???" :lol:
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
4pocalypse

Post by 4pocalypse »

I am a low volume reloader. I use the dual drum rock tumbler from harbor freight to tumble up to 150 cases of .45 or 200 cases of 9mm at a time. 4 hours in the tumbler gets them shiny new. I bought the 2lb sample pack of stainless steel media and put 1lb in each drum. I probably don't have $60 in the setup and it meets my needs for my low volume production. I load up about 100 rounds a week.
Fail to plan, plan to fail
rradenheimer

Post by rradenheimer »

sodbuster95 wrote:
Joshs9mXD wrote:I can hear it now... CLANG CLANK BANG BAM SMASH SLAP BOOM.... (wife) What did you put in the dryer? :twisted:
Followed quickly by "What the &$(#% is wrong with you???!!!!???" :lol:
I would definetly get a profanity laced statement if I did that, plus I dont know if I would want the lead/carbon washed off in my washer(I would get *#&^*# out for that too probably).

I was looking more into this as a project for something to do more than anything else, I would just buy a tumbler if it wasnt for that, as there are some inexpensive options.
Last year I built an infrared and magnet security device for the area with my safe. More of just a hobby than anything else.

A few of my shooting sports buddies dont really collect their brass, but I usually pick it up. I havent started reloading yet, but keeping brass stock is a start I guess.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
95oRANGEcRUSH

Post by 95oRANGEcRUSH »

SarTec wrote:Why even mess with a tumbler. If you want to clean brass cut a leg off an old pair of Jeans and ziptie one end shut. Place the brass and a damp wash cloth in the leg and ziptie the other end shut. Throw it all in the clothes dryer for about 15 minutes and you'll be amazed at the polish job.
You might be a redneck if... :lol:

Actually, I think that's a pretty ingenious way to clean brass. How well does it work?
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves. – Edward R. Murrow
Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you. – Benjamin Franklin
Gun registration is a gateway drug. – Mark Gilmore
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Okay... if you like to tinker and you enjoy little projects, then go for it.
I have no opinions on how well it will work. I do have opinions on tumbling brass, however. I can expound on that if you request.

I think... if you like to tinker with projects, skip this and buy a press and some dies and start learning about handloading.
And skip the wet tumbling and buy a Berry's tumbler, a few pounds of corn media, a lamp timer and a bottle of Nu-Finish.

These are merely my opinions.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

SarTec wrote:Why even mess with a tumbler. If you want to clean brass cut a leg off an old pair of Jeans and ziptie one end shut. Place the brass and a damp wash cloth in the leg and ziptie the other end shut. Throw it all in the clothes dryer for about 15 minutes and you'll be amazed at the polish job.
I'm curious, does anyone know if there are dangers of contaminating your dryer and clothing of your entire household with lead doing something like that?
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Klingon00 wrote:
I'm curious, does anyone know if there are dangers of contaminating your dryer and clothing of your entire household with lead doing something like that?
I can't imagine that there's enough residual lead for that to be a real concern. But then, that's just my guess. :?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
BobK

Post by BobK »

sodbuster95 wrote:I can't imagine that there's enough residual lead for that to be a real concern. But then, that's just my guess. :?
Lead-containing primer residue.

I would not have it in my house.

Besides, a tumbler is less expensive than whatever present I would need to purchase as part of pacifying the wife. "Happy wife, happy life."
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
SarTec

Post by SarTec »

That's why i said to zip tie both ends of the pants leg. Nothing comes out of it, there are no clanging parts and pieces falling around. So if you can get your wife to give up a pair of Jeans (since obviously she wears the pants). You'll be amazed at the job it does and the simplicity. Might be a redneck?....might be a dumb*** to knock it before you try it:-)
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Sevens wrote:I do have opinions on tumbling brass, however. I can expound on that if you request.
I got a request via PM... :)

Wet tumbling with steel pins makes brass GLEAM. It makes the stuff so clean and bright that it looks like new. It's truly amazing. The issue I have is that I just can't see the need for it. Now if I could make my brass look like that with a $50 tumbler and two bucks worth of dry media, then YEAH, I'd prefer to have my brass look that incredible. Problem is... you can't. You need the steel pins and the wet tumbling to make them look that good.

Maybe the "investment" in the steel pins isn't so great... plus they last, what--forever? No idea. But it's the wet tumbling that annoys me. Much like sonic cleaning, I simply don't want the hassle of drying something that is wet. I know some folks let it sit around somewhere...or put it on the deck on a sunny day... or spread it on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven...? I can't see me doing any of that nonsense -- when tumbling the old fashioned way works so well for my needs.

That kind of tumbling CAN certainly clean your primer pockets for you, which traditional vibe tumbling with corn/walnut will not do. But again, I've been down the primer pocket road. I've seen ZERO benefit from clean primer pockets, yet I do see problems associated with attempting to clean them. First is the obvious problem -- cleaning those pockets is a royal PITA. If your tumbling set up can clean them... still a pain because now you've got to decap that brass before you tumble it. That means handling every single piece of it, and handling each of these pieces that are dirty. In some cases...filthy. And I hope you've got some manner of a universal decap die, because running them through your sizing die is REALLY going to make that brass look awful and it's not doing your die any favor, either. All of that simply to have clean primer pockets -- when I can find no tangible benefit to a clean primer pocket? No thanks.

I think if maybe I sold used brass for a living and I truly wanted to market MY product as better than what everyone else is selling, wet tumbling might be an option I'd consider. But for my needs, I just can't see me ever bothering with it.

I still think the brass looks incredible. You bet I'd like mine to look like that. And I don't care about the loudmouth that will post directly after my post and say "it don't shoot no better." That may be all fine and good, but there's something to be said for pride in what you've produced, and I would enjoy brass that looked that incredible. But not if it requires wet tumbling.

I've been very happy with my Berry's tumbler. I think it's the best vibe tumbler in this business. That tumbler, a lamp timer set for 4 hours, simple corn media and a bit of Nu Finish and four squares of cut up paper towel and I'm very happy with the results.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
BobK

Post by BobK »

SarTec wrote:So if you can get your wife to give up a pair of Jeans (since obviously she wears the pants).
Save the sarcasm. Makes you look like you're both a redneck and rude.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
SarTec

Post by SarTec »

BobK wrote:
SarTec wrote:So if you can get your wife to give up a pair of Jeans (since obviously she wears the pants).
Save the sarcasm. Makes you look like you're both a redneck and rude.
No problem, I'll gladly check my 1st amendment at the door. I mean after all I offered some advice that I read on this website a few years ago, tried it and it works prefect and the only response is talking to me like I'm an idiot and contaminating my house and ruining my wifes appliances. Call someone a redneck, expect a redneck response.