Thinking about reloading 9mm

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ohiophotog

Thinking about reloading 9mm

Post by ohiophotog »

I'm not 100% sure if its worth it. I can get 115g fmj for $.20 per round and according to what I can find for componants it would be.$.17 per round if I had my own empty brass not including the press and accessories and initial setup investment.

Aside from that what would be a good press and accessories for a reloading setup. I found a Lee Loadmaster 1000 with 9mm dies and some other stuff through midway for $175 or so. I will add a link to that in a minute. I'm not sure if there would be anything else that I would need in addition to that. Looking for a nice setup but trying to be as frugal as possible.

I know a single stage press is cheaper but seems to be really inconvenient and I still don't know for sure what else I need.

Maybe I'm only finding expensive components and am exaggerating the cost of reloading.

My prices that I'm finding are.

.10-.15 avg .12 per fmj bullet
Buying cases looked to be 13.6 cents per case.
and about 3 cents per primer and powder charge.
- OK. Jokes over. Bring back the Constitution.
- Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
- No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message, however a ton of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
JediSkipdogg

Re: Thinking about reloading 9mm

Post by JediSkipdogg »

You're dead near what I found too. IMO, 9mm is not worth it to reload unless youc an pump out a ton. If you can only do say 200 an hour and you save $30 per thousand, that means you just reloaded for less than minimum wage. I find you need to hit around $14 a box of 50 for reloading to be cost effective. That's me and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

It dose seem to be much more cost effective to reload 9mm hollow points though. I found the Hornaday XTP HP bullets for 16.3 cents per bullet not including shipping. so for only around 4 cents more a round I can have some good hollow points (at least I'm under the impression they are as "good" as the newer HP's available).

The link for the press I was talking about is the Lee Pro 1000 heres the link

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/428284 ... -9mm-luger

and the Hornady XTP HP link
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... rc=tpCtgBu
Last edited by ohiophotog on Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
- No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message, however a ton of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

That is true with regards to hollow points although you open up another can of worms with carrying what you reload. While I can't think of it ever happening, the way you loaded could be used in court for any self defense shooting. That's why I prefer to just buy from Kyle (Khufford) all my hollowpoint ammo.

As for the Lee Pro 1000. I have one that I bought off someone here. Very very good press. I will say I haven't reloaded handgun on it yet, but I have loaded plenty of rifle rounds (223) on it and it works perfect. The press is a solid press that is built well and I've had no major malfunctions and I bought mine used off someone on here. I'm still puzzled why I bought three seperate shell tubes (rifle, small handgun, large handgun) when they all appear to be the exact same size.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

If you have a 9mm handgun that shoots lead bullets well (accurately and without gooping up the chamber/barrel) reloading would be noticeably more cost-effective. However it's been my experience that most of the parabellum semiautos just don't "like" lead bullets, unless they are very hard and/or you keep velocities down.

I'm not going to open up the topic whether one should EVER use lead bullets in the modern 9mm para guns with newfangled "multigonal" ** rifling...but even my old school Browning Hi Powers shoot better overall with FMJ or JHP than with any sort of lead. The same has been true with the various other brands I've owned: Beretta 92, Sig Sauer 226, S&W Models 39 and 59 series, etc. Even the Colt 1991 in 9mm shot a little better with copper jacketed stuff.

** I made up "multigonal" to cover the different terms Glock and Springfield Armory use to describe their barrels. :)
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

yeah none of my 9mm's have that type of rifeling, their too cheap. (Ruger SR9c, Kel-Tec PF9, SCCY CPX9 gen2) I am concerned that ammo prices could go for another hike though and I could lock in my pricing now, or I could just buy as much 9mm as I can get my hands on now. What's the shelf life of factory made ammo vs. reloading components (separate or loaded)

My problem is I want to break all these guns in really well with 5-600 rounds each. I'm at about 200 with the newest ones and want to put much more down the tube (my addiction is getting worse :D and I think my wife is getting addicted as well :mrgreen: )

I had read that with lead bullets that it's best to keep the velocities down for less fouling.
Last edited by ohiophotog on Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

Brian beat me to it.

Lead bullets cost me about .05 per. You have GOT to get into the habit of buying in quantities of at least 1000. My cost per round with a 124 gr lead cone nose is about .08 without including the case (one of the advantages of being an instructor is an ample and replenishable supply of brass!).

If you want jacketed, I can get total copper jacketed bullets for about .08/piece (1000 quantity) for a total round cost (less brass) of .11. EVEN if I had to but the brass, I am ahead.

Now, if you want to factor YOUR time into the equation, I doubt that it will ever work out in your favor. Reloading, to me, is about MUCH MORE than economics...
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

you must get good deals then because even with a $.05 bullet, with the prices I found for primers ,$.03, and my estimated cost per powder charge of $.03 thats still $.11 without brass.

Granted that's a one pounder of whatever brand sells lil' gun / I'm sure a larger quantity of powder is cheaper per charge and I think it was 1000 cci small pistol (#500? don't remember)

I also have no idea what powder to start with. I read on here about a "universal" but have not found it online yet.
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

Ok so I think I was WAY off on price per powder charge. I have a rough estimate of how many charges you can get per pound of 1500+. Either way before shipping and Haz-Mat which I would buy locally to avoid. The price per charge is more like $.012-.015 with the Hodgdon Lil' Gun (8lbs and 1lb respectively)

Less if the 1500 charges per pound are much higher.

ETA: Has any one tried the Tula Small pistol primers thier about 1/3 chaper
http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cfm?c ... 201000/Box
Last edited by ohiophotog on Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

ohiophotog wrote:yeah none of my 9mm's have that type of rifeling, their too cheap. (Ruger SR9c, Kel-Tec PF9, SCCY CPX9 gen2) I am concerned that ammo prices could go for another hike though and I could lock in my pricing now, or I could just buy as much 9mm as I can get my hands on now. What's the shelf life of factory made ammo vs. reloading components (separate or loaded)

My problem is I want to break all these guns in really well with 5-600 rounds each. I'm at about 200 with the newest ones and want to put much more down the tube (my addiction is getting worse :D and I think my wife is getting addicted as well :mrgreen: )

I had read that with lead bullets that it's best to keep the velocities down for less fouling.
I have around 2500 rounds of 9mm still from puchases here on the forum. If I see it for $8/50 I'll make a drive for it. I once met someone in Dayton (from the east side of Cincy so about 80 minute drive) to buy 2000 rounds at $8/50. Saved me a ton.

Here's my spreadsheet I have for reloading costs for 9mm and it's actually gone down some so it may be cost effective for me now. But like I said, I have so much factory I can't shoot it fast enough before I grab more on here.

Berry's 124gr - $85/1000 or 8.5/each
CCI Small Pistol #500 - $130/5000 or .026/each
Hodgdon HP38 - $127/8 lb or 1.0 cents/each

That's a total of 9.5 cents a reload. Now, buy stuff at the right time and you can either avoid hazmat fees or get it on sale. The key though as Charben mentioned is buying in bulk. If you don't buy the bulk, you are wasting money. When I see a website have free hazmat for powder, I buy about 3 8gal jugs along with some primers (pack of 5000 generally.) I can easily spend $700 in one order, but that order lasts me for the entire year or two.
Last edited by JediSkipdogg on Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sneakypete
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Sneakypete »

Universal Clays is a good 9mm pistol powder.

I personaly use Bullseye, buy it inthe 8 lb jug. & use 147 gr lead bullets that I buy from a dealer that sells Vances, they re hard, & I have no leading problem. I run them thru a P85 Ruger, shooting bowling pins

About 2K thru it in a season, then clean it in the fall. Never clean it thru the summer.
Duty, Honor, Country.
These three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be.
-Gen Douglas MacArthur

You have never lived until you have almost died.
For those who have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

ohiophotog wrote:Ok so I think I was WAY off on price per powder charge. I have a rough estimate of how many charges you can get per pound of 1500+. Either way before shipping and Haz-Mat which I would buy locally to avoid. The price per charge is more like $.012-.015 with the Hodgdon Lil' Gun (8lbs and 1lb respectively)

Less if the 1500 charges per pound are much higher.
I have never seen a 1 lb jug be cost effective. Most sell for $25-30 which is $200-240 for 8 lbs when an 8lb jug will sell for $150. Then they can be purchased much cheaper online. I've never seen them cheap in a store and once you add sales tax, there's another $10. So the $25 hazmat fee eventually it nothing. The only reason I have ever bought a 1lb jug and bought in a store is to try it out. I have a 1lb jug of AR-Comp that I'm going to try out next time to see how I like it. Sometimes if you are near someone else that you see reloads, send them a message and see if they want powder too. I order very rarely but would never have a problem adding an order on for someone else to reduce the hazmat fee. It also helps save on that evil sales tax since I don't want to government having any more than they already get. :twisted:

Charges per pound will vary, but a good rule is there are 7000 grains in a pound. A very very rough estimate for 9mm can be 4.0 grains per load. At 7000 grains that is 1750 rounds per pound.

I'm sure if you get serious into reloading some on here will share their secret sources of where to buy stuff. At least they seem secret since I rarely see them posted here but got tons of PMs when I first started.
Last edited by JediSkipdogg on Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JediSkipdogg wrote: Charges per pound will vary, but a good rule is there are 5600 grains in a pound. A very very rough estimate for 9mm can be 4.0 grains per load. At 5600 grains that is 1400 rounds per pound.
How much do you spill? :lol: For clarity's sake perhaps you should state that there are actually 7,000 grains in a pound--I'm guessing that you don't figure on getting to USE all 7,000 grains for some reason?

********************************************************************************
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Brian D. wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote: Charges per pound will vary, but a good rule is there are 5600 grains in a pound. A very very rough estimate for 9mm can be 4.0 grains per load. At 5600 grains that is 1400 rounds per pound.
How much do you spill? :lol: For clarity's sake perhaps you should state that there are actually 7,000 grains in a pound--I'm guessing that you don't figure on getting to USE all 7,000 grains for some reason?
Oops, my bad. I looked at my cheat sheet that showed 56000 grains and divided by 10 instead of 8. Maybe I should have gotten my TI-82 calculator out. :lol:

I'm going to edit my post in case others don't read this one. Good catch.

But yeah, some does get spilled or I notice something else wrong with the reload and it gets scrapped. All spilled/error powder goes in a pill bottle and then, well, it's just fun to light on fire on my patio. Kinda cool IMO. 8)

Oh, lastly, since I see more and more reloaders it would be cool to get a handloaders group together in Southwest Ohio every few months just to chat and show our stuff off like they do in Columbus.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Well it's fun catching you in such a mistake! :lol:

To be honest I'm still working from cans of powder that were purchased some years ago, and haven't needed to resupply just yet. Didn't I see that one powder manufacturer or another started selling "pound cans" that were actually more like 12-13 ounces, like the coffee and pasta companies do? {Boy, that's a pet peeve of mine...it suddenly becomes incorrect to say "I'm gonna go get another pound of spaghetti for this meal I'm making"}