7.65 x 53 Mauser

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mauser

7.65 x 53 Mauser

Post by mauser »

I have been saving this post for a Handloading area to materialize. Now that it is here, (thanks admins) here goes.

I recently obtained a new (115 years old) Argentine Mauser. Does anyone have any pet loads for that caliber? I will be leaning towards the low end of the velocity and power curve since it is for the 1891 action.

Now I want a nice 1909 to go with it.
"a CHL license is either a "license" or a "permit," but you'd never call a CHL your "balogney pony." It's pretty far out there."
--VEX
Buckshot

Re: 7.65 x 53 Mauser

Post by Buckshot »

mauser wrote:I have been saving this post for a Handloading area to materialize. Now that it is here, (thanks admins) here goes.

I recently obtained a new (115 years old) Argentine Mauser. Does anyone have any pet loads for that caliber? I will be leaning towards the low end of the velocity and power curve since it is for the 1891 action.

Mauser,

With your statement about "Now I want a nice 1909 to go with it." I am guessing that you got an 1891 Argie? Rifle or Carbine?

IIRC, Lyman, Hornady and Sierra have loads for these, maybe others also.

Remember, the older Mausers don't have the gas handling safety that the M98 action has.

If you make your cases, watch using .30-06, you usually have to thin the necks because the new neck is well down in the shoulder of the donor case, 8 X 57 works better for a donor case.

Buckshot
mauser

Re: 7.65 x 53 Mauser

Post by mauser »

Buckshot wrote:
mauser wrote:I have been saving this post for a Handloading area to materialize. Now that it is here, (thanks admins) here goes.

Mauser,

With your statement about "Now I want a nice 1909 to go with it." I am guessing that you got an 1891 Argie? Rifle or Carbine?

IIRC, Lyman, Hornady and Sierra have loads for these, maybe others also.

Remember, the older Mausers don't have the gas handling safety that the M98 action has.

If you make your cases, watch using .30-06, you usually have to thin the necks because the new neck is well down in the shoulder of the donor case, 8 X 57 works better for a donor case.

Buckshot
Yep, I recently acquired a beautiful 1891 Argentina Rifle made in 1893 by Lowe. Thanks for the tip on the brass, I had planned to use 30-06 if I had to but I have plenty of 8X57 laying around if I ever need to form some. Right now I have a good supply of actual 7.65x53 brass as PVRI Partizan is importing it for about 1/3 cost of Norma.

"a CHL license is either a "license" or a "permit," but you'd never call a CHL your "balogney pony." It's pretty far out there."
--VEX