Advice on a reloading press.

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

NEOH212

Advice on a reloading press.

Post by NEOH212 »

Can anyone recommend a good reloading press in the $400-$500 dollar range? I just need a press for brass. Nothing for shotgun. Thanks.
Just remember, the big bad criminal will see the sign on the door and reconsider...
cgs500

Post by cgs500 »

What type of reloading? Handgun only? Or do think you might reload rifle as well? How many do you want to shoot per week/month?

If you can fill in a few of those blanks there are a few folks around here that can help.
Quicksilver

Post by Quicksilver »

I have a Dillon and couldnt be happier
mauser

Post by mauser »

You can't beat a Hornady L-N-L AP especially with 1000 free bullets.
"a CHL license is either a "license" or a "permit," but you'd never call a CHL your "balogney pony." It's pretty far out there."
--VEX
bataviafarmer

Post by bataviafarmer »

Are you planning on spending that much just for the press? Or, is that your total reloading budget?

4 to 5 bills will get you a really nice press but you will also need dies, a tumbler, a powder scale & charger, a case trimmer, and various other goodies to get you started.

I have an RCBS Rock Chunker that works very well for me. I think they retail for about $269 but you may find cheaper ones on gunbroker, ebay, or at a flea market.
PROUD PARENT US AIR FORCE

There is no Hell. Only Chicago.
BobK

Post by BobK »

I just started into reloading and have no experience other than the help I get on the internet.

I ended up getting a Lee Loadmaster for several reasons.
  • I saw feedback from a number of people in forums that I see participating regularly, who seem to be reasonable people that the Lee Loadmaster can reliably produce terrific ammo.
  • I wanted to be able to produce hundreds of pistol rounds per month with reasonable time and effort. For example, at first I was leading towards the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press. Well, 4 press cycles per round in the turret press compared to a round every stroke for Loadmaster starts to add up when one does a couple thousand rounds. :D
  • The actual press kit ended up being about half of what I have spent. I also purchased: case tumbler, tumbling media, media sifter, universal decapping die, locking wall cabinet for over my work table, steel calibers, a good scale, a bullet puller, the Lee Anniversary Kit to get both the Lee reloading Manual plus a spare single stage press ($20), several tupperware style storage bins for sorted cases, bullets, etc., a few MTM boxes to hold finished rounds, an RCBS Die Wrench, primer pocket cleaner, Lee Double Disk Kit, Lee Lead Hardness Tester w/Ball Indent/Microscope, Lee Auto Disk Adjustable Powder Charge Bar, ABC Reloading book, etc. If you are budgeting 4-5 bills, don't overload the extras.
  • There are now terrific Lee setup videos available on the web, on Youtube and at The Lee Load Master Zone. It walked me through step by step of everything I needed to get started. There is also a good support community there.
  • The initial mechanical setup on my press to get rounds made was straightforward and easy. Having the judgment and knowledge to choose things like proper amount of belling, proper OAL, good powder choices, amount of crimp are all operator knowledge issues that will be true for any mechanical press.
  • It is true that one should be mechanically inclined and willing to be anal-compulsive about getting your equipment set up and maintained correctly if you are going to buy the Loadmaster. I would argue that is pretty much true for any brand of reloading equipment, when one is dealing with objects that can go either BANG or BOOM, it is important to be careful and precise.
  • Although you may have seen messages from me struggling to get my initial rounds to feed correctly, I am not discouraged about it. I attribute it to not realizing that 200 gr LSWC could be a challenge in an untuned 1911, purchasing too soft of bullets at a gun show, and a lousy initial choice of powder.
  • Instead, I view it as a terrific positive that there is a whole community here helping me to debug and solve problems. There is no doubt in my mind that pre-internet reloaders had a much slower learning curve.
  • Don't get sucked into ordering through the "big names" or buying locally. I did an extensive price comparison Excel workbook among midwayusa.com, midsouthshooterssupply.com, fmreloading.com, wideners.com, and grafs.com. MidwayUSA.com was the most expensive.
  • I could email you the stuff I ordered if you want specific part numbers and prices.
Now I need to think about buying a chronograph. . . 8)
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
thorn

Post by thorn »

Ditto on the Hornady LNL-AP... i bought one a month ago (my first press) and really like it.

-edit-

Good reloading forum: GlockPost. Despite the name, it's mainly for reloading.

thorn
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

I'm a Dillon fan myself, RL550B is what I would recommend :-). The completely no [deleted -- TR] lifetime warranty is nice too.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
dan dan the XD40 man

Post by dan dan the XD40 man »

I bought a Lee Anniversary kit for like 120 shipped. The Breech-Lock feature is really nice.

It comes with a lot of odds n ends to help you get started. I'm not a huge fan of their supplied powder measure and scale, but it seems other people use them and have no problems.

With that minimal initial outlay, it left alot of room to buy a better scale, a tumbler, some loading blocks, etc...
Poop!
gladdly

Post by gladdly »

I must agree on the Hornady LnL AP. The press is reasonably priced and Hornady will stand behind their products.

The 1000 free bullets brings the price of the press down to well under $250 in real dollars which leaves a considerable amount to spend on scales, a tumbler, reloading manuals and supplies to get started.

Gladdly
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away....

I want to carry a gun because the cops carry chalk.