Re-Sizing Brass ?

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BigV

Re-Sizing Brass ?

Post by BigV »

I realize that there is a need to clean and resize once (or twice) fired brass before re-loading it. But what about brass that is purchase new and has never been primed or shot. Do these still need to be resized before they can be reloaded?
I have some new 22-250 brass that I want to load up, but lubing and resizing is a pain that I don’t want to go through if I don’t need to.
Thanks!
BigV
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

It is best to at the very least run the case necks into an M die to ensure the bullet pull is consistent from round to round. I have seen new Starline 7.62x25 brass that would not chamber without full length resizing.

A friend and I bought (2000) 22-250 cases, we ran them in an M die and then loaded them, every one chambered fine and blew the heck out of prairie dogs :-).

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

Check the length, too. You'll be amazed. Helpful to *slightly" chamfer the inside of the case mouth, just a touch to knock down any burrs.
dan dan the XD40 man

Post by dan dan the XD40 man »

I always resize and use a case length trimmer an all brass, new and used alike. Like Lefty Skywalker above me said, you'd be surprised at the variations in length AND squareness of the necks of new cases.
Poop!
shaner

Post by shaner »

if you never used new brass before , try it an see you will be surprised at it , it will need resized and if your usin rifle it may need trimmed, i always resize all ammo cause you never know if your goin to use it in what? i always seem to trade some gun off and have a pile of ammo here for the next one hahahah