Looking for a decent reloading scale

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Birdman

Post by Birdman »

Not to nit-pic.....I guess it IS nit-picking, but how does anybody know how consistant the powder density is from lot to lot of any particular powder? That would change volumetric charges, giving more or less actual grains of powder depending on powder density.
“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds”-Sam Adams

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
- Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Birdman wrote:Not to nit-pic.....I guess it IS nit-picking, but how does anybody know how consistant the powder density is from lot to lot of any particular powder? That would change volumetric charges, giving more or less actual grains of powder depending on powder density.
Not a nit pick. A valid question.

Answer: You don't. That's why you need an accurate balance or scale to check your loading set up periodically.

Personally I suspect that the density of my four pounds of TiteGroup increases the further down in the canister I go. The smaller pieces falling to the bottom.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

I stand corrected. I guess I made a bad assumption that since there seems to be a lot of trickle charging equipment on the market that people would be buying it. However as I typed the last sentence I realized that what you describe is even more accurate than even I imagined.
The "culver" type they use all have the same dia piston, be it .500" or some other dia, and the "clicks" I suspect are .001" increments.

On the Star loader they used different thickness powder slides, for the smallest powder charges they used a 1/4" thick slide, and they used thicker slides for larger and larger powder charges.

Dillon does the same thing.

The dynamics of a progressive press really have the potential to give you a different powder charge in production than in setup. Mine seems to be very consistent measuring the charge weight with a crude old scale like mine ;-)

I read of a BR shooter (Precision shooting magazine will fill your head with ideas Alan hehe) who determined that his daughter was more consistent with his uniflow powder measure than he was, so he had HER charge the cases for him :-).

http://tinyurl.com/create.php

This powder measure here is often said to be one of the most accurate ever made, especially for the longer stick IMR powders. Those powders are probably mostly responsible for the sale of many a powder trickler.

I have an rcbs uniflow with both drums, and I have one of these

http://tinyurl.com/3xgw6m

Lyman saw the need many years ago to be able to adjust the metering cavity to suit the volume of powder needed for the job, they did this in the 55 measure by providing 3 seperate slides....it is more or less 3 measures in one. The lyman 55 will throw .8 grains of bullseye using it's smallest slide with decent accuracy according to the crude reloading scale :-).

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
ScottyPotty
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ScottyPotty »

Bill - your fist link doesnt work for me.

What powder measure are you talking about?
This powder measure here is often said to be one of the most accurate ever made, especially for the longer stick IMR powders. Those powders are probably mostly responsible for the sale of many a powder trickler.
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader. Samuel Adams
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Darn it, I did the tinyurl wrong :-)

I was referring to the Belding and Mull powder measure, they will show up in google.
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).