???Two Hand Reloading Questions???

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BandanaMan

???Two Hand Reloading Questions???

Post by BandanaMan »

With several state's pending legislation regarding the serial number stamping of individual rounds of ammunition.....I'm weighing heavily on reloading my pistol and 5.56mm ammunition once again after a twenty year absence.

In the past I have reloaded extensively, I started in 1969 and continued through 1988 when I moved from Boise, Idaho to Columbus, Ohio. Once here I quit, but you never forget how......so my question to you who reload is..........

I shoot a lot of 9mm.....what brand of gun powder do you use in your 9mm cartridges....and how many grains.....to get factory specifications on a 115 grain FMJ load??

Also please apply the same question to 5.56mm with a 55 grain FMJ projectile?

Thanks........
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

So far in 9mm, I've only used Win 231 (4.3- 4.5 gr) for 115 gr. fmj.

I tend to load as light as possible for economy, less wear/tear on my gun as I shoot a lot.

I'm not concerned with the lighter load effecting my accuracy when shooting S/D ammo. As long as it feeds reliably, I'm good to go.
Hasn't effected my accuracy yet in that regard.

My OAL is generally in the 1.125 range.

I also have some WSF powder, but haven't reloaded anything with it yet.

Good Luck!
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mauser

Post by mauser »

H335 is the original NATO powder for 5.56.

I like Power Pistol for 9mm and .40 S&W.
"a CHL license is either a "license" or a "permit," but you'd never call a CHL your "balogney pony." It's pretty far out there."
--VEX
shooterwolf

Post by shooterwolf »

Unique for 9mm.
H335 for 5.56.

Buy a couple new reloading manuels, it'll money well spent.

Shooterwolf.
BandanaMan

Post by BandanaMan »

shooterwolf wrote:Unique for 9mm.
H335 for 5.56.

Buy a couple new reloading manuels, it'll money well spent.

Shooterwolf.
I have a Speer, and an old Lyman....but I wanted to read what you guys were using these days as my recipe books are very old!

In the past I used a whole lot of Bullseye and Unique in my revolver and pistol cartridges, but I can't remember what I used in my 30.06 and 5.56mm....I thinks the rifle stuff was something with four digits made by DuPont.

Thanks!!
mreising

Post by mreising »

As Shooterwolf suggested, get some new manuals, or go online to the powder company websites and download current info. I have favorite loads for my guns, but I hesitate to give specific info on loads in an online forum for liability reasons.

Your rifle loads were probably one of the IMRs such as 4198, 4895 or 4320 {editted to add} in 5.56. A word of caution reagrding rifle loads: There are several 4 digit powders with teh same numbers, such as IMR4064 and AA4064, or IMR4350, AA4350 and H4350; these powders have different characteristics and are not directly interchangeable. Use the appropriate load data.
I use Win231 in my pistols, mostly 45ACP, but it is useable in 9mm as well. It works and flows well with my powder measure.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
bataviafarmer

Post by bataviafarmer »

I would try Handloads.com. It combines all the reloading data for the major manufacturers and some from private individuals.

Plus, it's free.

Short barreled 9mm I use Bullseye or Unique
9mm carbine I use H110
PROUD PARENT US AIR FORCE

There is no Hell. Only Chicago.
BandanaMan

Post by BandanaMan »

mreising wrote:As Shooterwolf suggested, get some new manuals, or go online to the powder company websites and download current info. I have favorite loads for my guns, but I hesitate to give specific info on loads in an online forum for liability reasons.

Your rifle loads were probably one of the IMRs such as 4198, 4895 or 4320 {editted to add} in 5.56. A word of caution reagrding rifle loads: There are several 4 digit powders with teh same numbers, such as IMR4064 and AA4064, or IMR4350, AA4350 and H4350; these powders have different characteristics and are not directly interchangeable. Use the appropriate load data.
I use Win231 in my pistols, mostly 45ACP, but it is useable in 9mm as well. It works and flows well with my powder measure.
THANKS FOR THE WARNING!

I remember now that I have seen your (this) post....it was IMR 4320 that I used in my rifle cartridges :idea:
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

4198 is a very fast powder, not typically used in 5.56 :-)

It can be used in 44 magnum in fact.........and in smaller ctg. like 218 bee and 22 hornet.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
coltc

Post by coltc »

This loads feels like a factory Blazer load in my Glock 19. When making it that's what I compared it to. WSF powder also has no flash to it, or very very little.

9mm 115gr FMJ
5.3gr of WSF
1.12" OAL
mreising

Post by mreising »

willbird wrote:4198 is a very fast powder, not typically used in 5.56 :-)

It can be used in 44 magnum in fact.........and in smaller ctg. like 218 bee and 22 hornet.

Bill
I was just giving some examples of 4 digit rifle powders; it is a legitimate powder according to the Hornady manual, possible in the .223 section IIRC. Granted, it is better suited to smaller cases, but that is why I do not give specific load info, too many variables.

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

I agree Mriesing about providing loading data............I have in a very few cases provided data to friends on the net, data that was well over book maximum and along with it was detailed info on how to get there from the book data. But it always WORRIES me to do so, and I refrain from it 97% of the time.

I was reading a post on the BR board about a guy who loaded a 6ppc with a large charge of H110 by accident, they had put H110 in the BR powder measure and forgotten about it, and assumed it was the 6ppc speed ball powder at a later date.

Another horrible one was a guy who loaded a 45/70 with a case full of AA7 thinking it was the same powder as RELOADER 7.

I store the FAST powder on a seperate shelf from the slower rifle type powders...........I bet more than 1 person has confused 4198 with 4831...they both have 4's, 8's and 1's

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

For pistols:
125 grain round nose lead projectile
4.4 grains Titegroup

For my carbine:
124 grain JHP projectile
4.7 grains Titegroup

These are a bit hotter than Hodgdon recommends but I find they work the best. 4.0 grains left sooty brass and did not reliably cycle my carbine.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
mreising

Post by mreising »

willbird wrote: I store the FAST powder on a seperate shelf from the slower rifle type powders...........I bet more than 1 person has confused 4198 with 4831...they both have 4's, 8's and 1's

Bill
That's a good idea everyone could use.

I hate to ask, but what happend to the 45/70, and what kind of gun? That had to hurt (or worse).

Mark