Where have all the 'primers' gone?

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

From my personal experience Wolf is about as hard a primer as CCI and has been very good in my Pro1K. Wolf didn't even make primers for US import when Dr. Lee wrote his info.

Federals are what Lee has a problem with.

Care to share what you are paying for CCIs? If it is under $20/thousand I might need to make a trip out to Olde Englishe Gune Workse next time I go to Vandalia/Tipp City area.

Finally saw the big sign for Lauhorner's in Springfield off of I70 a couple weeks ago. Never knew they were there and I have driven past there like 3000 times.

The Gander Mountain in Huber had a pitiful selection of reloading stuff. When I was there what few primers they had were overpriced and tended to be busted open on the shelf and scattered on the floor.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
shooterwolf

Post by shooterwolf »

Mag-tech primers will also run fine in a pro 1000.
They compare to Winchester for hardness.

Shooterwolf.
Dr. Winston

Post by Dr. Winston »

"...if CCI or Winchester primers are used... Other primers, however, can explode with sufficient force to seriously injure the user, or persons nearby."

"We do not take any position with respect to the quality or performance of primers available on the market. However, ONLY those primers manufactured by CCI or Winchester are recommended for use in the Lee Pro 1000."

They have had reported problems with all other primers EXCEPT those two which is why they 'RECOMMEND' you not using anything else.

I don't want to be a test case, so their 'recommendation' from experience is good enough for me!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Again, that was written LONG BEFORE Wolf primers were imported to the US for reloading.

From my experience and what I've read on Brain Enos' forum, they are as suitable as Winchester or CCI in terms of hardness. Federals are a problem, they are very soft cups comapratively speaking.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

From my experience and what I've read on Brain Enos' forum
The musician?
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;