Buying powder

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Bought 5K Wolf SPs from Powder Valley and so far loaded a few in 9mm and a few in .357 mag and they all go bang just fine; Fit seems a hair tighter than the Winchesters I normally use, which is only a problem in Seller & Belloit brass with the tight primer pockets anyway.

They are $90 for 5K from PV; plus hazmat, shipping, etc.

I intend to buy more.

The cups are fairly hard, they are harder than Federals, slightly more hard than Winchesters.

Retail packaging is very nice, similar to Winchester primers. The box color is not my favorite, no accounting for taste I suppose, but I am not shooting the box. Or rather, I will shoot the box but color is not important as long as I get a good sight picture.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I'd be interested in both large and small pistol primers.
I'm setting up for 380, .40, and .45 ACP.
Just picked up 2K .45 brass from the Medina Gun show.
Also some (4 pounds) powder and .40 cal dies.
I need bullets also, but I haven't decided what yet.

I'd be willing to drive the toll road for a F2F or maybe to Fin, Feather, & Fur.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

I was going to buy some Wolf to try, probably 1k, I would like to run some crono work with them to make sure they run consistent for velocity, 50 rounds would be a good number to fire over the crono.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
mauser

Post by mauser »

willbird wrote:I was going to buy some Wolf to try, probably 1k, I would like to run some crono work with them to make sure they run consistent for velocity, 50 rounds would be a good number to fire over the crono.

Bill
Me too. I would like to try them in a smaller quantity before I order them in bulk. Any stores carry them in 1,000?
"a CHL license is either a "license" or a "permit," but you'd never call a CHL your "balogney pony." It's pretty far out there."
--VEX
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Wish y'all were closer to me, I'd be willing to help y'all out.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Joking...........but hehe

Just tape 100 on a postcard, and drop them in the mail :-).

Long before this terrorist stuff I did mail somebody some powder, a speer bullet box full. Yes I knew it was illegal to mail it. Today it would not get through and I would be in some kind of trouble.

Bill
NordicRX8

Post by NordicRX8 »

mauser wrote:
willbird wrote:I was going to buy some Wolf to try, probably 1k, I would like to run some crono work with them to make sure they run consistent for velocity, 50 rounds would be a good number to fire over the crono.

Bill
Me too. I would like to try them in a smaller quantity before I order them in bulk. Any stores carry them in 1,000?
Mee three. Seems most places I look online are out of Wolf primers. CCI, Federal and Winchester are abundant, but I just loathe paying that hazmat fee. Good thing the Lima gun show is coming up... I think I can hold out till then.
Suppose the Second amendment said "A well-educated electorate being necessary for self-governance in a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed." Is there anyone who would suggest that means only registered voters have a right to read? – Robert Levy

A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston
Dr. Winston

Post by Dr. Winston »

Unless I'm actually going to do a LOT of reloading in a session, I get just the amount of powder I need. Whether that be one pound or eight pound containers. That way I don't have powder sitting around waiting for the house to catch fire. Besides, I'm convinced that powder has a 'shelf life' and I don't want it to get old.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington
mauser

Post by mauser »

Dr. Winston wrote:Unless I'm actually going to do a LOT of reloading in a session, I get just the amount of powder I need. Whether that be one pound or eight pound containers. That way I don't have powder sitting around waiting for the house to catch fire. Besides, I'm convinced that powder has a 'shelf life' and I don't want it to get old.
You have a single session requiring 8 pounds of powder but that may not be a LOT?

Anyway, powder does have a shelf life: measured in decades if properly stored.
"a CHL license is either a "license" or a "permit," but you'd never call a CHL your "balogney pony." It's pretty far out there."
--VEX
Dr. Winston

Post by Dr. Winston »

Mauser;

Thanks for the shelf life info. Typically I won't go with an 8 pounder unless I know I'll be using is up within a week-end or day or two session. Just my druthers...
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Ok guys, I got some prices worked up...please pm me for my email and tell me what you want, and I make sure the price is in there and send an email with attachment.

I do not consider powder IN the cartridge to have a different shelf life than in the powder container really :-). I have some powders that my Dad bought in the 60's and they still work fine. I read where Hercules Unique I think WAS the oldest cannister grade powder out there...Alliant has reformulated it...but anyway Hercules stored reference samples in water...and they had some that was 80-100 YEARS old, and when it was dried and loaded it still performs as it always did.

Bill
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Bill,
Why don't you put your location in your profile?

Alan
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

I just never did Alan.....

I live pretty much at Ohio Turnpike Exit 13.

What I had in mind was a meet up at the halfway point of the ohio pike in the middle of the state........on a weekend.

Bill
dan dan the XD40 man

Post by dan dan the XD40 man »

willbird wrote:I just never did Alan.....

I live pretty much at Ohio Turnpike Exit 13.

What I had in mind was a meet up at the halfway point of the ohio pike in the middle of the state........on a weekend.

Bill
Thats barely even Ohio :o
Poop!
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Close enough to IN to easily eat at Applebys while legally being armed.

:-)

Bill