Reloading 223

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rexles

Reloading 223

Post by rexles »

Any body load 223 on a Progressive Press?
I have been loading for many yrs on a single stage and just recently bought a Dillon. Also have a RCBS turrent and trying to decide if I want to give up my single stage RCBS. I do not load 223 for accuracy necessarily, just like plinking with AR. I do pistol ammo on Dillon and like it fine, but do not know if I want to get a conversion and start doing 223.
I usually primer by hand anyway and I like handling the cases a few times to check for flaws and bad cases. Any help?
Never pick a fight with an old man. If he can’t beat you he’ll just kill you!

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun....Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks. Thomas Jefferson

SHOOT SMART NW OHIO LLC NRA Certified Instructor, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home

NRA Life Member, MVGCA,Tri-State Gun Collectors, OFCC, Patriot Guard Member.
Luv2Camp

Post by Luv2Camp »

I used to load 223 on my Lee Loadmaster.... That was before I sold my AR..... No issues except some art in keeping the case from tipping when it is being pushed into the shell plate.....

I also had a self lubing die that I would place in the fist station and the resizing die in the second station... The lube die would lube the case and pop the primer out and than into the sizing die.... After I shot, I would run them all through, tumble them to get the lube off and than store them for when I was ready to load 1000 at a time....
mauser

Post by mauser »

I just posted an article about this on my blog this evening.

Not to shamelessly self promote my blog but it is lengthy and a link is probably better than posting entirely:

http://fatwhiteman.com/2008/02/01/xdie.aspx
"a CHL license is either a "license" or a "permit," but you'd never call a CHL your "balogney pony." It's pretty far out there."
--VEX
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

I think I would full length resize them and decap on a RockChucker with a case kicker, then clean primer pockets, clean off the case lube....then run them thru the progressive.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

Try here.
"Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets."