Any reloaders try this?...Cream of Wheat to reduce leading

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

cgs500

Any reloaders try this?...Cream of Wheat to reduce leading

Post by cgs500 »

This was over on The High Road. I had never heard of it.

Evan, What do you think?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=334518

If it works I might go back to shooting my cast lead.
benzol

Post by benzol »

I think we should all consider firearms related uses for common breakfast related products. Shredded Wheat could be used as a bore brush in a pinch. Grape Nuts might make a wonderful water safe bird shot. We know that Cheerios may help lower cholesterol, but what effect do they have on powder fowling?
cgs500

Post by cgs500 »

I've been picking up shot from people getting rid of it on some other forums. With the price of shot, Grapenuts sound like a good idea.

The Cream of Wheat question is a valid one though.
benzol wrote:I think we should all consider firearms related uses for common breakfast related products. Shredded Wheat could be used as a bore brush in a pinch. Grape Nuts might make a wonderful water safe bird shot. We know that Cheerios may help lower cholesterol, but what effect do they have on powder fowling?
shooterwolf

Post by shooterwolf »

I wonder if count chocula will ever replace silver bullets for vampire loads.

Special K for light loads.

Trix are for kids. (.22)

Shooterwolf.
cgs500

Post by cgs500 »

......................Waiting for Scavok to chime in..............
Splat!!

Post by Splat!! »

I have heard of it, never tried it................My off and on research looked at using fillers to make a compressed load for consisent burn not leading.

leading is usually only a problem.......at higher velocities without gas checks, improper sized bullets, not cleaning out copper before using lead, rapid firing or too soft of a lead bullet....

When using a filler, the filler weight must be added to bullet weight for loading data...My concern which I questioned using the COW for filler was how do you keep the COW from mixing with powder over time...
"Our government... teaches the whole people by its example. If the government becomes the lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy."
cgs500

Post by cgs500 »

I was wondering the same:
lordgroom Member of THR wrote: Join Date: 12-19-07
Went to the range yesterday and after working up a load of .357 Mag with Unique, I decided to test some COW. I fired 30 rounds that I previously caused a lot of lead fouling. My accuracy worsened after about 20 rounds. I fired 10 rounds of .357 Magnum pushed by 6.2 Grains of unique with COW to just under the base of the bullet. Fired the remaining 20 rounds of the lead fouling bullets and then tested 3.2 Grains of Bullseye with a .357 bullet because the case had room for more COW. I can't say which load was more effective but there was virtually no lead fouling when I cleaned the barrel.
I am a little confused, is he saying he loaded to the base and slightly compressed while seating? (red text) This would help to keep powder and breakfast from mixing as Splat!! stated.

Splat!! wrote: My concern which I questioned using the COW for filler was how do you keep the COW from mixing with powder over time...
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

I would fill the case to say 1/16" from being clear full, then compress with the bullet. I would probably set up two powder measures, one for powder, one for cow

I would not ever use it in a bottle necked ctg. It can cause a ring in the chamber, which is a BAD thing, it is more common in older barrels with soft steel, but still a risk with any bottle neck case and fillers.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

.................Waiting for Scavok to chime in..............
You guys are doing great so far. :lol:
I wonder if count chocula will ever replace silver bullets for vampire loads.

Special K for light loads.

Trix are for kids. (.22)
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dan dan the XD40 man

Post by dan dan the XD40 man »

lordgroom Member of THR wrote: Join Date: 12-19-07
Went to the range yesterday and after working up a load of .357 Mag with Unique, I decided to test some COW. I fired 30 rounds that I previously caused a lot of lead fouling. My accuracy worsened after about 20 rounds. I fired 10 rounds of .357 Magnum pushed by 6.2 Grains of unique with COW to just under the base of the bullet. Fired the remaining 20 rounds of the lead fouling bullets and then tested 3.2 Grains of Bullseye with a .357 bullet because the case had room for more COW. I can't say which load was more effective but there was virtually no lead fouling when I cleaned the barrel.

And I'll have to admit, they sound delicious.
Poop!
mauser

Post by mauser »

benzol wrote:I think we should all consider firearms related uses for common breakfast related products.
I'm thinking Grape Nuts in the tumbler! Cheaper than walnut.
"a CHL license is either a "license" or a "permit," but you'd never call a CHL your "balogney pony." It's pretty far out there."
--VEX
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I have used Cream of Wheat with my black powder revolvers to substitute for wadding at reenactments. Worked pretty well, but I don't remember the mess being any easier to clean, or any less of a mess after the battle.

Now I just use axle grease to cover the powder.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

If you load to proper levels and use hard enough alloy you don't get leading.

You know if we persist in this line of thought, there are those who will say...

Ya know if that ear of corn had a CCW then maybe...
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
makdaddy

Post by makdaddy »

benzol wrote:I think we should all consider firearms related uses for common breakfast related products.
I think we'll be encouraging cereal killers if this discussion goes much further...
If waterboarding was a sexual preference, it would be taught in public schools.
cgs500

Post by cgs500 »

Good one!

makdaddy wrote:
I think we'll be encouraging cereal killers if this discussion goes much further...