Say goodbye to the Pro-1000 primer pile & mess

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Say goodbye to the Pro-1000 primer pile & mess

Post by evan price »

One of the frustrating things for me when using my Pro-1000 press was the design of the waste primer system. They just fall through a slot in the ram and fall down under the press. To remove them you have to remove the press from the mount. I have seen people put a peanut butter jar with a hole under the tabletop. Since I don't have a table or bench that's not easy for me.
I had a malfunction last week where the primer pile got so big it jammed the ram linkage.

I have a Midway reloading stand which is a pedestal or bubblegum machine mount that stands freely on the floor. There's not enough room between the stabilers cast into the plastic table to fit a jar.

While re-organizing my toolboxes I started putting my hole saws into empty prescription pill bottles. I noticed that the 1-1/4" carbide hole saw just barely fit the medium size prescription bottle. Hmmm..

Drilled a 30-mm hole through the lid of the jar. It fit and just left the child-proof lugs in the lid.
Drilled a corresponding 30mm hole through the table of the reloading stand between the ribs. Super glued the perforated lid to the underside of the table and clamped with a couple Vise Grip welding clamps and let stand overnight.
Next morning, sanded the edge of the hole with some medium grit to take off the ridge and make a chamfer.

1/4 turn lock on the prescription bottle, and viola. Immediate and quick primer disposal, no mess, no primers on the floor, no pile of primers building up inside the press. Just 1/4 turn, unlock the bottle, dump into scrap brass bucket, keep on trucking.

Anyone who has a permanent mount on a bench for their press, the peanut butter plastic jar is a great way to go. Or try this. Theres a lot of sizes of pill bottles to choose from.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Nice.....but pictures, you need pictures Man.

You did a great job describing what you did, but visuals are what gets the juices flowing.
:twisted:
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

I put a 1" hole under the press near the edge of my bench. Then I rolled a piece of typing paper into a funnel and taped it under the hole. The primers fall through the hole, down the funnel and into a small box on the floor below the press. It's not as pretty as your setup, but it works.

If you get some primers that are not falling into the hole, blow sharply into the primer catch. That will move them around.
"Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets."
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

I just have a small plastic bottle underneath. Basically a smaller version of what Evan did.

Archer, it looks like we used similar ideas in what we chose to use as a "bench".
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

Evan Price,

Just make sure you lay a couple of those pill bottles back for future use.

I have had to change drug stores once due to insurance and have had drug stores change pill bottle types on me twice.

You think you are going good, then, about the time the bottle gets broken, you can't find anything that fits that lid any longer!

Other than that, VERY INGENEOUS idea.

Buckshot
Music Man

Post by Music Man »

WhenI was younger (boy that was a long time ago) we use to take jar lids and nail or screw them to the undersde of a shelf. Then we could fill the jars with whatever, usually screws and bike parts, and just screw them onto the lid.

You can use the same princible for the primer catch only with a hole in the lid and much larger capacity. On my bench I have a 1 1/2 inch plastic tube dropping down to a trash can for the primers to fall into. No mess just empty the garbage. All my reloading trash goes in there too.
Beretta Nine All The Time
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

The problem I ran into was that my bench is that it's actually a cabinet. You can see that there is a drawer right below the presses. That's why the carriage bolts are upside down. If I'd have turned them over (even if they were the right length) they would have jammed the drawer.
"Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets."
Dr. Winston

Post by Dr. Winston »

If you can't drill a 1/2" hole under your '1000' for the primers to fall through, you might was to add spacers under your three 1/4" mounting bolts to raise your press up a bit. This will allow you to use a butter knife to 'sweep' the spent primers out from under your press base after each use. Messy, but functional!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington