confused--reloading equipment

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

66 deuce coupe

confused--reloading equipment

Post by 66 deuce coupe »

Just did a search here for reloading info.
A lot of good things said about Lee Pro 1000 for handgun loads but not rifle.But nobody actually said why.
I want to start with 223, and yes I'm a newbie.But I do have a friend who is more than willing to teach all the ins and outs and tricks.
He's just the type of guy who is not comfortable recommending equipment.

So my question is, why not the Lee 1000 for rifle loads?

BTW, my friend has reloaded for 20 yrs, everything from trap loads, handgun and rifle loads.
when threatened,let GOD sort em out!

For Evil to survive, it takes only for one GOOD man to do nothing.
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

Maybe a lot of people that reload for rife are going for match grade loads. And you don't do match grade loads on a progressive press?
Just speculating, on that. There is more to rifle reloading, then pistol reloading. I know you have to be more aware of case length. For one thing.
Last edited by Whirlwind06 on Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mreising

Post by mreising »

The Pro1000 has a limited stroke, ~3.5" if I remember correctly. It will reload 223 and some other short rifle rounds but it is primarily a handgun press. Whirlind's comments about there being more to rifle reloading is correct, especially if you shoot bottleneck cartridges in semi-auto rifles where you have to full length re-size them. Bolt action rifles will tolerate neck-sizing of cases previously fired in that gun. Overall length and case trimming become a bigger issue with rifle cartridges, because of the bottleneck cases and high pressures which cause more stretching of the brass cases.

Editted to add my standard reloading disclaimer :) : A new reloader should start with a single stage press before moving to a progressive press. Less chance for errors, easier to adjust and you will learn what happens at each step of the process. Others disagree. I have both a single stage and a progressive.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Also the basic Lee powder measure may not throw enough powder for a lot of rifle ctg. They do make a double disc deal but it still may not throw enough powder for some rifle ctg.

AMU(Army Marksmanship Unit) uses Dillon press's to make match rifle ammo as well as a lot of other people. The ammo typically makes more than one trip thru a progressive so the primer pockets can be cleaned, and the sizing lube can be cleaned off before the cases are loaded.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

Where have I seen this topic before.
"Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets."
mauser

Post by mauser »

mreising wrote: Editted to add my standard reloading disclaimer :) : A new reloader should start with a single stage press before moving to a progressive press. Less chance for errors, easier to adjust and you will learn what happens at each step of the process.
Amen!

I get preachy about this but too many people get discouraged trying to learn on a progressive. Progressives are really not practical for rifle anyway without the use of an X-Die.
"a CHL license is either a "license" or a "permit," but you'd never call a CHL your "balogney pony." It's pretty far out there."
--VEX
shaner

Post by shaner »

unless your loading for a spray gun 223 your better off loading on a single stage or even a turrent press, the 100 dont have the but for starters to load rifle ammo right, and if you want a certian overal length of the finished round it aint goin to happen on those presses , i use 1000's for 45 acp and 9mm and 38spl , if you want progessive rifle look to a dillion minimum 550 press or the hornady lock n load press which i have a friend that does his AR rounds on a lock n load it works great for it
66 deuce coupe

Post by 66 deuce coupe »

Thanks Archer Ace, that was a great link.Don't know how I missed it in my search.Thanks to everyone else too.
Seriously considering the RCBS Suprem kit.I think it's Midway who has it for $259.00,doesn't seem like a bad deal for what ya get.

deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Whirlwind06 wrote:Maybe a lot of people that reload for rife are going for match grade loads. And you don't do match grade loads on a progressive press?
Just speculating, on that. There is more to rifle reloading, then pistol reloading. I know you have to be more aware of case length. For one thing.
I've got a Dillon that I do all of my handgun ammunition on.

For rifle, I trickle and weigh EVERY charge, so that defeats the purpose of a progressive. I use an RCBS Rockchucker for rifle. Throwing and weighing charges is such a bottleneck for me that a single stage press doesn't affect workflow at all.
66 deuce coupe

Post by 66 deuce coupe »

The Rockchucker comes in the RCBS supreme kit.
Gonna look real hard at Berea sat.

ScottyPotty
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ScottyPotty »

The lee 1000 in my opinion is not strong enough for rifle. Yes it will do them but there are much better presses for rifle.

I went with a loadmaster to get into rifle and it does an OK job - biggest problem Ive had with 223 is the case feeder. (anyone else use one of these? - just wondering if you have had problems)

But I could see wanting something even heaver when doing a crap load of rifle and Ive been thinking of something new - something blue?
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader. Samuel Adams
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

For rifle, I trickle and weigh EVERY charge, so that defeats the purpose of a progressive. I use an RCBS Rockchucker for rifle. Throwing and weighing charges is such a bottleneck for me that a single stage press doesn't affect workflow at all.
The guys who put 5 shots into .09" at 100 yards don't weight a charge, or trickle a charge.............doing so is a colossal waste of time. Espeically for a rifle that has a factory barrel on it with a saami chamber.

..get a good measure, dump them in the cases, seat bullets with a good bullet seater, and shoot in the .2's all day long.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
j10

Post by j10 »

I have a Redding 7 stage turret press, IMHO they don't get much better than this.
I leave my 9mm and 45 colt dies set up ( no readjusting to do ) and whileI haven't timed myself I can load pretty darn fast but not as fast as a progressive. I like to feel each step as I go.
For anyone starting out I would definately recommend a single stage press.
Luv2Camp

Post by Luv2Camp »

deanimator wrote:
Whirlwind06 wrote:Maybe a lot of people that reload for rife are going for match grade loads. And you don't do match grade loads on a progressive press?

I think there is a huge benifit in using a progressive for rifle... I have a Lee Loadmaster that I use for my pistol and rifle. I load my 30-30 on it... On a single stage press, you will wind up (in my opinion) wearing out your shoulder as you need to stroke the press to remove each primer, stroke it to install each new primer, stroke it to seat each head and stroke it again to crimp each round. Using the progressive press, you still get a loaded round with EACH stroke of the press... There is a bottle neck in having to hand weigh each charge but still in my opinion MUCH faster and less wear and tear on the body....

As far as the press goes, if I were to do it again I would go with a Dillon in a heartbeat. The priming system on the Lee can be a HUGE issue. If you get a primer cocked sideways, it tears up the plastic trough and can cause upside down primers or crushed primers... And when you are loading riflle, you need to lube the cases so they do not get stuck in the die. This causes some lube to build up on the carrier and if you have a powder spill, the powder will stick to the carrier plate. This in turn can cause the case not to sit inside fully and when you get to the priming station it can cause the primer to cock and ruin the plastic trough or the plastic primer feeder....

For the price you cannot beat it... I bought mine in 1992 and load thousands of rounds on it each year... I am just waiting for it to wear out to buy me a Dillon!!!! The problem is it just keeps on going!!!!!
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

willbird wrote:

The guys who put 5 shots into .09" at 100 yards don't weight a charge, or trickle a charge.............doing so is a colossal waste of time. Espeically for a rifle that has a factory barrel on it with a saami chamber.

..get a good measure, dump them in the cases, seat bullets with a good bullet seater, and shoot in the .2's all day long.

Bill
Bill,

Agree completely on this.

A benchrest rifle shooter won't even have a scale in his equipment pack.

They use a certain powder and so many clicks on a Culver (modified Lyman #55) or Harrell powder measure.

These are guys that replace a $300.00 barrel when it starts shooting over 0.200" center to center for 5 shots at 100 yards!

Buckshot