confused--reloading equipment

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Over .200 is completely junk in their world :-).

I fidled and fought with factory barrels and ssami chambers for years, til I fit my first custom barrel with a custom chamber, almost any balanced load shoots as good or better than the best of the loads for the factory barrels and saami chambers. Spending time working out the 1/10 of a grain of powder that you hope might make a poopy barrel shoot a 1/4 moa group is great fun...but a colussal waste of time........the one thing it DOES do on varmint rifles is get that junk factory barrel shot out so you can have a GOOD one fitted :-).

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

willbird wrote:
I've got a Dillon that I do all of my handgun ammunition on.

For rifle, I trickle and weigh EVERY charge, so that defeats the purpose of a progressive. I use an RCBS Rockchucker for rifle. Throwing and weighing charges is such a bottleneck for me that a single stage press doesn't affect workflow at all.
The guys who put 5 shots into .09" at 100 yards don't weight a charge, or trickle a charge.............doing so is a colossal waste of time. Espeically for a rifle that has a factory barrel on it with a saami chamber.

..get a good measure, dump them in the cases, seat bullets with a good bullet seater, and shoot in the .2's all day long.

Bill
I don't shoot at 100 yards. I shoot at 600 yards. NOT trickling and weighing each charge at 600-1000 yards is a colossal waste of time. Bridging of stick powders alone is enough to seriously affect velocity and point of impact from shot to shot. You might as well throw your bullets downrange. EVERY serious longrange shooter I know (not most, EVERY) trickles and weighs ALL of his charges.