LEE Pro1000 issues

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Ok, a few hours of sleep under my belt and updated, better pics.

First pic is of the scored brass from the resizing die. This is a new development.

This other pic illustrates how the Z Bar attachment can be adjusted in and out.
I've tried different positions, and after 6-8 reloads, the Z Bar
pops back off the attachment.

The hole (opposite side of Z-Bar attachment) on the right side of the red arrow apparently can get worn,
causing the hole to become elongated.

I've also bent the Z Bar so that it doesn't bind on the case holder/slide.
I rotated/flipped the piece even though the original hole did seem ok.

Any thoughts on these two problems?
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

As to the scratched brass. First, are you tumbling your brass? If any powder residue or grit was on the cases, it winds up in the die and it will scratch each case thereafter until cleaned.
Also, even with carbide dies, I am in the habit of spraying a light spritz of silicon spray inside the resizer each time I start the press. I also hit the hex-shaft, the ram on top and bottom of the press, and the vertical supports where the primer jiggler rubs and where the carrier guide touches. Makes the whole press as slick as two eels copulating in a bucket of snot.

There have been instances where brand new Lee sizer dies had surface finishes that were not as smooth as they could be and in those cases Lee repalces the die free of charge.

The Z-bar. I have my Z-bar upper mount turned such that the outside edge is parallel with the outer edge of the turret holder. Since the turret holder is roughly trapezoidal in shape that means it is actually angled with respect to the direction of the case slider. I also tweaked my Z-bar link with pliers until it stopped falling out. If you disconnect the link from the case slider, the link winds up pointing not perpedicularly to the direction of travel of the case slider, but pointing more towards the mount for the case feeder stud. That puts tension on the whole case slider/Z-bar & Z-bar link so the whole thing stays put. I also shoot the ends of the Z-bar link, the Z-bar and spring, and the top and bottom of the case feeder carrier rail with silicon spray.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

As to the scratched brass. First, are you tumbling your brass? If any powder residue or grit was on the cases, it winds up in the die and it will scratch each case thereafter until cleaned.
Yeah, I tumble those babies like a rolling stone.

I did manage to get some emery cloth inside the sizer die and give it a good polishing. Then blasted it with a heavy dose of compressed air to get any grit out.
Then I shot some lube inside the die. I ran a few case thru it to see what is happening and it looks like the scratches have subsided for now.
Also, even with carbide dies, I am in the habit of spraying a light spritz of silicon spray inside the resizer each time I start the press. I also hit the hex-shaft, the ram on top and bottom of the press, and the vertical supports where the primer jiggler rubs and where the carrier guide touches. Makes the whole press as slick as two eels copulating in a bucket of snot.
While I felt like I was lubing things enough, maybe I need just a little more shnott. :lol: I hate when I have to push every piece of brass back into the carrier after sizing due to vibration, that's how much resistance I was getting on the up pull.

There have been instances where brand new Lee sizer dies had surface finishes that were not as smooth as they could be and in those cases Lee repalces the die free of charge.
Well, the die was ok to start with. I'll consider shipping it back if the scratching continues after the polishing I gave it.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;