LEE Pro1000 issues

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Oxmarqt

LEE Pro1000 issues

Post by Oxmarqt »

I'm having trouble with this press. When I push the lever up the "ram" will come out of the bottom of the shell plate carrier like something is hanging it up. This happens with nothing being done but my moving the lever up and down. Any ideas???
mreising

Post by mreising »

Get a copy of the manual and make sure you have not got the press out of time and tighten the shellholder to the ram. There is a bolt that clamps the two together, but since it has come loose it could have also gotten out of time; that's why the first comment about the manual.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Oxmarqt

Post by Oxmarqt »

It is not out of time but I did not see any way for the ram to tighten to the shell holder. I can't wait to get home and look!!! :D

Oxmarqt
mreising

Post by mreising »

Okay, but do check the timing since it came loose. The bolt pinches the holder to the ram if I remember correctly, I'll have to look at mine to be sure.

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
shooterwolf

Post by shooterwolf »

Check the settings on your dies after you tighten everything back down. The shell carrier doesn't always settle in the same place and can throw your die adjustment way outta whack. Don't ask how I know. :oops:

Shooterwolf.
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

Raise the ram to the top of it's travel and tighten this 3/16 allen head bolt. Make it very tight.

Also, make sure you have the action rod installed correctly. The twisted end sits below the shell plate carrier.
"Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets."
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Heck, throw it away, and spend another $49 and get a new one :-) :-) :-) :-)

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Music Man

Post by Music Man »

If you wantt to throw it away, throw it my way. I can always use another one.

You have to make sure you get the bolt real tight. I ran into the same issue.
Beretta Nine All The Time
mreising

Post by mreising »

Thanks Archer, that picture does a better job than I could do from memory. Worth a thousand words!

Mark
Oxmarqt

Post by Oxmarqt »

That worked perfectly. My next battle will be to get these dies adjusted properly. I had them all out to try and fix this issue. When I test run some cases and bullet (no primer or powder) it wants to shave a very small amount of the bullet off.

It must be a case expansion problem at the charging die. From there I can adjust bullet depth and crimp.

Wish me luck!!
Oxmarqt
mreising

Post by mreising »

Good luck. The Pro 1000 is a decent press (I've got one and may get another), but it is finicky which is why I don't recommend them to a first time reloader. I always suggest starting with a single stage press. I don't know your situation or experience, i.e. you may be a highly experienced reloader, so don't take these comments as directed at you.

I probably need to get my asbestos suit on anyway for suggsting single stage presses :wink:

Mark
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

Oxmarqt wrote:That worked perfectly. My next battle will be to get these dies adjusted properly. I had them all out to try and fix this issue. When I test run some cases and bullet (no primer or powder) it wants to shave a very small amount of the bullet off.

It must be a case expansion problem at the charging die. From there I can adjust bullet depth and crimp.

Wish me luck!!
Oxmarqt
Run your charging die in a bit more. You want it to flare the case mouth enough that you don't shave the bullet.

Don't consider what the instructions say as gospel, you will have to make some minor adjustments. The instructions for setting up the dies will get you in the ballpark.
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

I probably need to get my asbestos suit on anyway for suggsting single stage presses
You called? :lol:

Hey, I've been learning alot about my Lee the last few days.

Tonight I learned that I wasn't flaring my cases nearly enough.
Had a few boo boos this eve. Bullets were not seating well.

Much better now though.

I need to get my Z bar (.45 acp loader) adjusted better I think.
I viewed the Lee videos numerous times and I'm not making head way.

After I make the adjustment, it runs great for a little bit, then I get a lot of resistance on the "up" pull.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

Yes, you need to flare the case mouth just a wee bit more...

Make sure you Z bar is adjusted per the instructions. Then, when you get resistance on the up pull, look to see if the Z bar is binding with the case feeder. If it is, mark the spot where it is binding, remove the Z bar and bend it enough to clear the case feeder.
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

I'll try tomorrow. I'm double tapped out on messing with it any more.

I'll need a fresh outlook and some sleep first.

I forgot you were the resident expert! :wink:
Thanks!! :)

Note to self....

You need to readjust the flare on the 9mm loader too. :roll:
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;