Actual costs and savings: Reloading pistol ammo

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Actual costs and savings: Reloading pistol ammo

Post by evan price »

On this and other forums I have been talking about reloading. I am not an old timer, I just got into it last year. But I am a quick learner. People are always asking what it costs to reload, how much do you save, etc.
If anyone wants to share their actual cost of reloaded ammo here, feel free, to help others make a decision wether or not reloading is worth it.

I'll start the ball rolling:

Components costs are based upon items purchased within past 30 days and still listed as available at respective vendors, 20JAN2008, nothing hoarded from when stuff was "cheap". I do not cast my own boolits.

>>Edit to ad: Nothing was purchased in "obscene" large quantities. Primers by the 5k, powder in 8# keg, projos at 2k or 3k lots.

All projectiles are hard-cast lead. Primers are Wolf. Powder is Titegroup. Brass is range-pickup.

9mm Luger
125-gr RN, 4.4gr powder
Projo: 4.25¢ Primer: 2.0¢ Powder: 0.75¢
Total Cost per round: 7.0¢
Total Cost per box/50: $3.50

.38 Special
158-gr SWC, 3.5gr powder
Projo: 4.45¢ Primer: 2.0¢ Powder: 0.65¢
Total Cost per round: 7.1¢
Total Cost per box/50: $3.55

.357 Magnum
158-gr SWC, 5.1 gr powder
Projo: 4.45¢ Primer: 2.0¢ Powder: 0.95¢
Total Cost per round: 7.4¢
Total Cost per box/50: $3.70

.45 ACP
230-gr RN, 4.7gr powder
Projo: 5.45¢ Primer: 2.0¢ Powder: 0.85¢
Total Cost per round: 8.3¢
Total Cost per box/50: $4.15

.44 Magnum
240-gr SWC, 9.7gr powder
Projo: 5.45¢ Primer: 2.0¢ Powder: 1.75¢
Total Cost per round: 9.2¢
Total Cost per box/50: $4.60
Last edited by evan price on Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

You can drasticly reduce the cost if you cast your lead bullets.

.45 ACP
230-gr RNL, 4.7gr powder
Proj: 0¢ Primer: 2.0¢ Powder: 0.85¢
Total Cost per round: 2.85¢
Total Cost per box/50: $1.42

Iadmit,I'm not including the cost of electricty, so round up the cost
to $2.00 a box! 8)

Still,you did a great job showing the savings of reloading.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

I'm sure this is posted somewhere on this forum, but this looks like another good place for the "handloading cost calculator".
Calculator
You are confusing me with them cent signs. How did you type that anyway? I can do the degree sign, like 10ºF.
You guys related to George Vaccaro? (Verison Math guy)
Verison Math
“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds”-Sam Adams

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
- Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935
cgs500

Post by cgs500 »

I just happened to look at 45 ACP last night at Gander Mountain and it was 119.00+ tax for 250rds of UMC! Evan, you have 20.75 for the same qty., thats at least 100.00 savings just in one shooting session.

I am not able to give an accurate break down since I have primers and powder from a few years ago. I do cast .357 with shielding lead (pure)from a wire manufacturer and linotype (sp) from an old print shop that is out of business.

I like the process of reloading and it is a hobby in itself. My 5 yr old son likes to help reload as well, he is a pretty good casing and shell inspector. We just set up a shotgun reloader today and loaded 200 rds. Again I can't give an accurate as I got 75 lbs of shot and a couple pounds of powder and primers with the press.

One of his comments was "I love reloading with my best buddy". You can't put a price on that.

Oh Yeah, thanks for the link Birdman
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Right now I figure my savings as, based upon the cheapest prices I can find anywhere:

9mm: Saving $5/box, $100/k

.38 special: Saving $8/box, $160/k

.357 Mag: Saving $15/box, $300/k

.45 ACP: Saving $10/box, $200/k

.44 Mag: Saving $25/box, $500/k

Multiply that by what I know I shot last year:
9mm: $200
.38 Spec: $160
.357 Mag: $150
.45 ACP: $400
.44 Mag: $250

Total Savings $1160.00 using reloads over factory ammo last year.

Would I have shot that much if I didn't reload?
Well, maybe. Reloading allowed me to focus on heavier calibers I didn't shoot much. I intend to do a lot more revolver shooting now. I did shoot about 10K .22LR's though.

The absolute best thing is even though I took a big hit buying reloading machinery/dies/etc, I was able to sell off my surplus brass to generate enough funds to actually pay 100% of my reloading gear.
In effect, it cost me $0 to get into reloading (except for needing the money at startup, which was recovered by selling brass). All I am out is components now.

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Loading large rifle (.308, 6.5x55, etc) for about 25¢ each if I can find good deals on projectiles, otherwise it's 37.5¢ each, until my brass splits.. :(

Cent sign is ASCII 155.

You can't directly enter them in bbcode but I generated the list offline in Wordpad and just cut/paste and viola. Or else find a page that has (¢) on it somewhere and cut/paste/insert. Like this post, for example.

Birdman

Post by Birdman »

Hey thanks!
¢¢
I put my 2¢ in...or my .02$ in.
“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds”-Sam Adams

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
- Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

JU87: What does your lead cost you when you cast, do you need to pay for lead, flux, etc?

Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Your numbers look pretty darn close to mine Evan.

I did have to shell out for my Lee Pro K's, but I have recouped that.

The savings for me has allowed me to shoot a whole lot more.

I like to participate in IDPA and PPC events. Pistol League I just shoot .22 LR from my S/W 22A with 5.5'' barrel.

I'm pretty stocked on 22 ammo for a while.

I've switched to buying lead bullets for 9mm and .45.

I have enough stock on hand to last me a while in FMJ bullets, but I'll be buying a couple after market barrels that will allow me to shoot lead in the Glocks. That will set me back a couple hundred dollars total.

Again, with the savings of reloading, they're all ready paid for, theoretically.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

I'm running about 8 cents a round for 9mm right now.
That is using hard cast lead.
I plan on a bulk purchase in about a month or so of Wolf primers and Unique powder and that will put it at about 6 cents a round.
That is about the best I can do right now.
Still less the 1/2 the price for WWB for walmat
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

"What does your lead cost you when you cast, do you need to pay for lead, flux, etc?" wonders Evan.

I have about 400 hundred pounds on hand now and my average cost is about 15¢/lb. Good stuff, too. Flux doesn't amount to anything. I use a tiny piece of beeswax, cigar butts, sawdust, used motor oil, whatever.

Yep, that's the way I like to do it.
1/2 Fast

Post by 1/2 Fast »

Evan,

What reloading equipment (brand/setup) do you use?

I restocked my ammo stash yesterday with trips to wally world and Dick's. I'll be able to buy food again in about a month I think.

Thanks
NRA Member
mauser

Post by mauser »

Whirlwind06 wrote: I plan on a bulk purchase in about a month or so of Wolf primers and Unique powder and that will put it at about 6 cents a round.
Where do you find Wolf primers? I have not seen them anywhere.

I used to use Unique for 45ACP but it is so dirty. I switched to Clays and it is incredibly clean. Same thing I use for 12 gauge so it is convenient too.
"a CHL license is either a "license" or a "permit," but you'd never call a CHL your "balogney pony." It's pretty far out there."
--VEX
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

mauser wrote:
Whirlwind06 wrote: I plan on a bulk purchase in about a month or so of Wolf primers and Unique powder and that will put it at about 6 cents a round.
Where do you find Wolf primers? I have not seen them anywhere.

I used to use Unique for 45ACP but it is so dirty. I switched to Clays and it is incredibly clean. Same thing I use for 12 gauge so it is convenient too.
http://powdervalleyinc.com/

I find if I set the OAL to the min OAL Unique is not to dirty.
shooterwolf

Post by shooterwolf »

Whirlwind06, how are the Wolf primers working out?
I've been meaning to try them.

I did try Magtech primers, they shot and loaded a lot like Win., no misfires.

Shooterwolf.