Reloading equipment question.

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

xd

Reloading equipment question.

Post by xd »

I'm not ready to get into reloading YET but I do have some general questions. To set some basic parameters:
1. I've never done it before.
2. I'm not interested or desire to do anything but my own stuff.
3. I have:
Handguns: 9mm, 40SW, .45GAP.
Rifles: 7.62x39mm CZ527, .308Win AR-10, 30.06 M1.
4. I'm completely confused.
There's RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, Redding, and Lee. (Those are the ones I know of so far). There's also, scales, case trimmers, powder dispensers, powder measures, lube kits, tumblers, and of course a gazillion dies. Each of the categories I listed seem to have escalating levels in pricing depending on how many do-dads you want. I forgot to mention books, after I googled "reloading books" I got depressed and thought I'd ask about it here.
I guess I'm interested in the cost of a basic system, (I'm not even sure the dies from one brand will fit in another). I'm not interested in any of the Chinese knock-offs, I've been on the receiving of their stuff for about 10yrs and just don't trust their equipment. I'm just trying to find out the cost of a basic system but I'm not afraid to shell out more if it's required.
cgs500

Post by cgs500 »

You may want to check this thread out:

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=16477

Oh yeah...add Dillon (the blue one) to your list of presses. :D
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

For the New Reloader: Thinking about Reloading; Equipment Basics -- READ THIS FIRST

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=238214

THR Reloading forum.
http://www.thehighroad.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15
shooterwolf

Post by shooterwolf »

I see about 15 questions jammed into one or two paragraphs. Read some more, more importantly talk to your shooting buddies or range r.o. on a slow day. There is a wealth of info on the range.

A very basic set up to load 2 calibers can very easily had for $200. You could also spend $2000 and get the same thing done.

Evan Price has been putting out some very good and detailed advice on loading and gear. Try searching some of his recent posts on the subject.

Shooterwolf.
cgs500

Re: Reloading equipment question.

Post by cgs500 »

My opinions added in bold:
xd wrote:I'm not ready to get into reloading YET but I do have some general questions. To set some basic parameters:
1. I've never done it before.
2. I'm not interested or desire to do anything but my own stuff.
3. I have:
Handguns: 9mm, 40SW, .45GAP.
Rifles: 7.62x39mm CZ527, .308Win AR-10, 30.06 M1.
4. I'm completely confused.
There's RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, Redding, and Lee. (Those are the ones I know of so far). There's also, scales (need), case trimmers(needed for rifle), [powder dispensers, powder measures, (tricklers are nice but you can get most of the powder dispensers with the press or starter kit)] lube kits (needed if you cast your own bullets or reload rifle brass, then you need to lube the cases), tumblers (makes cleaning brass much easier but not deal breaker if you don't care how shiny your loads are ), and of course a gazillion dies. Each of the categories I listed seem to have escalating levels in pricing depending on how many do-dads you want(most of the"do dads" save time, you don't need them to start up). I forgot to mention books, after I googled "reloading books"(If someone hasn't mentoned it ABC's of reloading is a good start) I got depressed and thought I'd ask about it here.
I guess I'm interested in the cost of a basic system, (I'm not even sure the dies from one brand will fit in another)( most 7/8 inch dies will fit most presses the one exception is Dillions "square deal B" and it is limited to handgun only). I'm not interested in any of the Chinese knock-offs, I've been on the receiving of their stuff for about 10yrs and just don't trust their equipment. I'm just trying to find out the cost of a basic system but I'm not afraid to shell out more if it's required.
HTH's
ScottyPotty
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ScottyPotty »

When I first started reloading I didn't know anything either. I bought a book and stared reading but couldn't stay awake. So I bought some used Lee stuff of some guy on the Internet and went at it. I would try and figure out what I needed by reading the book and with the hands on approach. That worked much better for me then to just book read.

Most everyone always up grades re-loaders at some point. Pick a up a cheap press somewhere. I would suggest starting with 9mm as its not as high of a pressure round as some of your other calibers and. Plus the handgun brass has less prep work to worry about.
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader. Samuel Adams