Picking up your brass??

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MikeACP

Picking up your brass??

Post by MikeACP »

What is the general policy/protocol/commandment, with picking up your brass at some of the ranges? Central Ohio in paticular.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Depends on the range.

I have heard of ranges that have a policy of, "If it hits the ground, it's ours!"

Politeness dictates that you should at least make an effort to keep the shooting area in the same condition it was in when you got there.

Public ranges, odds are, somebody will be along to collect the brass before the day is done.

If in doubt, ask the Range Officer.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
charles1198

Post by charles1198 »

Depending on what range I'm at, I generally pick it up to toss/save or sweep it up. At both ranges, discarded brass is pretty much up for grabs. I have a friend that usually goes trash picking for .308 and .45 brass.
Ohio Medical Reserve Corps -- volunteer today!

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." -- President George Washington
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Completely depends - the two I go to say police your own.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

Do NOT immediately pick up your brass and dropped magazines. Muscle memory is not always a good thing. You will do it in a gun fight.
My (limited) training stressed this fact. After we all shot the stage then picked up brass and divided it up.
“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds”-Sam Adams

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
- Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

I police all my reloadable brass, even though I don't reload (yet). Midwest Gun Club in Canal Fulton encourages you to sweep up your own brass. I've never gone "bucket diving" for anyone else's brass.

But a good pint is brought up - don't do it immediately after every string of fire. Rather, do it at the end of your shooting session. That way muscle memory doesn't start tying it in.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
shooterwolf

Post by shooterwolf »

New Albany and Lancaster are police your own, take it with if you want. Just don't bother the other shooters when you clean up.

I wouldn't shoot at a lost brass range, you paid for it.

Shooterwolf.
captainstormy

Post by captainstormy »

shooterwolf wrote:New Albany and Lancaster are police your own, take it with if you want. Just don't bother the other shooters when you clean up.

I wouldn't shoot at a lost brass range, you paid for it.

Shooterwolf.
Yea, you can pick it up and take it with you at NASR but most people (myself included) leave it there. I'll usually sweep out the area of the floor inside the booth with my feet and push that brass forward of the firing line when I'm done but thats pretty much it. IMO if they really wanted you to clean up they would have brooms, dustpans, and buckets sitting around to do it with.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Bernard Books(John Wayne in The Shootist)
shooterwolf

Post by shooterwolf »

Capt.stormy, My bad about N.A.S.R., I've only shot there twice and it was available IIRC.

Shooterwolf.
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

I pick up all of my own brass that I can find after Im done, because I reload it.

Do muscles have memories? I thought they were made of muscle. :wink: :) Just kidding. Like some of you, I have read of at least one dead cop being found with empty brass in there hands, at the scene of a crime. They apparantly got so used to putting there brass in there pocket at the range, that they did it during a "real" confrontation. I think this practice went away with the transition to semi-auto's in the late 1980's.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
captainstormy

Post by captainstormy »

shooterwolf wrote:Capt.stormy, My bad about N.A.S.R., I've only shot there twice and it was available IIRC.

Shooterwolf.
You didn't say anything wrong. You can pick up whatever brass you want, or you can leave it there. It really just irks me that they don't have brooms, dustpans and buckets lol.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Bernard Books(John Wayne in The Shootist)
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

I shoot at blackwing - the standard operating procedure is to sweep up your area before you're done. You can keep it or toss it in the bucket, whatever you prefer. The only time I haven't swept up after myself is when there's a pretty big line of people waiting to shoot.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

The way I look at it, if you shoot 100 rounds and leave the brass, then that range session just cost $20 additional over the normal usage fees. (re. Midways current price for most pistol brass per 100.)
captainstormy

Post by captainstormy »

weakhand luke wrote:The way I look at it, if you shoot 100 rounds and leave the brass, then that range session just cost $20 additional over the normal usage fees. (re. Midways current price for most pistol brass per 100.)
Thats not really accurate. If you were to reload it would cost you that sure but anyone who leaves their brass doesn't reload. I know people who reload say there is no reason you shouldn't, but there really are plenty of reasons and reloading isn't for everyone.

I don't reload myself. I've got no space to set up the equipment, no time to do it in(I barely make it to the range for 2 hours a month sometimes), and I really don't have a desire to reload anyway. I'm perfectly happy with the quality of commercial loads and the costs savings to me isn't really a factor as I wouldn't really save any money I would just have more ammo, which I have no shortage of now.
thorn

Post by thorn »

In Cinci -

One range i go to will allow you to mark your brass and retrieve it, but you can't go bucket diving. The other range's policy lets you take whatever you can pick up... though I'd never take any off the floor behind another shooter (they might plan to keep it).

thorn