Reloading NEWB! point me in right direction!

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mauser

Post by mauser »

evan price wrote: With all due respect, JU87 I agree with you to a certain degree but disagree on the presentation.

There are those of us who will do quite nicely with a Sears lawnmower and not need to spend the extra cash buying a John Deere.
I have to agree. I wanted a Corvette when I was in high school and I ended up with a Corvair. If I had waited, I might still not have a car.

The Dillon is first rate. So is the Hornady L-N-L. So is the RCBS, etc and etc. The Lee is definitely cheaper made and thus is much cheaper to buy. I would much rather someone buy a Lee now and get started than to wait and wait on that dream press, especially when they are brand new and not sure what they will prefer later.

Lee kits include just about everything you need to get started. Not so with the big names--you will not only shell out much more for the press but you will also need to spend quite a bit on accessories. I would rather see a newb go with a single-stage kit. You can always add that super strong big bad blue red or green progressive later on.
"a CHL license is either a "license" or a "permit," but you'd never call a CHL your "balogney pony." It's pretty far out there."
--VEX
shooterwolf

Post by shooterwolf »

Ford, Chevy, or Dodge, They all have their quirks. Reloading gear is the same. It's all a matter of what color press matches the walls in your reloading room.

Buy the basics, try things out, you can always upgrade if you enjoy reloading. You may hate reloading, but it's easy selling well maintained starter gear.

Shooterwolf.
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Dang, I got to this party a little too late.

You guys did a great job covering the details.

Did anyone mention that the savings in ammo allows you to shoot a lot more often?
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KahrGuy

Post by KahrGuy »

Thanks alot everyone! I think i'm going to get a book first, do a little reading, then take a look at the LEE line of products. I agree that I shouldn't dive right into this with the most expensive equipment. If I want I can always upgrade. Whats funny is that a day after I posted this I got a copy of the Blue Press catalog in my mailbox. lol.
Katie Couric, while interviewing a Marine Sniper, asked "what do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?" The Marine shrugged and replied "slight recoil"
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

About that Blue Press catalog...on the cover....she sure is pretty ain't she? The shotgun! The shotgun!
“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds”-Sam Adams

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
- Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935
tjeffries

Post by tjeffries »

Birdman wrote:About that Blue Press catalog...on the cover....she sure is pretty ain't she? The shotgun! The shotgun!
Shotgun? There's a shotgun? :shock: :lol:
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive?"-- Alexander Solzhenitzyn, Gulag Archipelago

To paraphrase George Santayana, those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

http://www.barefootsworld.net/tripwire.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;