New From Lee Precision

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mauser

New From Lee Precision

Post by mauser »

I wrote this for my blog and then thought it might be of some interest here:

I've always been a fan of Hornady reloading products and probably always will be. To me the best invention they ever came up with was the Lock - N - Load quick change system. It allows your dies to be quick changed on both their single stage as well as progressive press offerings. With this setup, changing calibers is as easy as a 1/4 turn twist as opposed to the intensive setup required of a die in a regular press.

Lee Precision Products has now introduced their own version called the Breech Lock System. It is basically the same thing as the Hornady product with a different name.

With it, you set up your die once then a quick turn is all you need to change dies. They have introduced this system on their regular press and their great-value Anniversary kit. I have not seen it listed for one of their progressives yet but I am sure it is a matter of time.

In my opinion, Hornady still offers the superior product. However, with this offering, Lee has now copied one of Hornady's best advantages. I have always advocated the Lock-N-Load system as the feature that overrides the value received from Lee. For the amount invested, Lee has always edged over the others. Though I prefer Hornady, I have never seen anything wrong with getting a Lee setup if budget is an issue. Though Hornady may be better, it does you no good if you are waiting months or years to get started because of dollars when a Lee kit can get you going with far less investment. After all, you can always trade up later.

Now with the breech lock system, Lee has made their low end product even that much more attractive.[/img]
"a CHL license is either a "license" or a "permit," but you'd never call a CHL your "balogney pony." It's pretty far out there."
--VEX
dan dan the XD40 man

Post by dan dan the XD40 man »

I bjust bought that setup for reloading 44 mags
Poop!
ScottyPotty
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ScottyPotty »

That's cool, but when I change dies I take off the turret and put on the the new turret with the dies set.
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader. Samuel Adams
sts47

Post by sts47 »

For the .45 ACP, i have an older Lee Speed Die.

one die for sizing, depriming, flaring, and crimping

One housing, just change out internals from the outside. seems like they re-designed it, and now are marketing it gain.
The pen is mightier than the sword ... if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp.
The pen might not be mightier than the sword, but maybe the printing press was heavier than the siege weapon. Just a few words can change everything.
Sometimes, the best answer is a more interesting question.