Lookin' for lead...

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Jake wrote:
<snip>
The price of lead sure is tempting me to do something, just not sure what.

Scavok wrote:
[nudge]
Tire weights
[/nudge]
Excuse me, are you saying that, as a tire, you're waiting for me to explain what is I'm going to do?

You'll tire long before I do, Sir.

Now my newest dilemma is deciding if I'm going to reload for the AK.

I suppose it'll be a matter of time before I do. (Technically, it's a matter of time before I or anyone for that matter, do anything. :? )

Back to the lead issue. I do have a very slight lead source. I just don't think I'm going to go to the effort of melting to cast bullets.

I also suppose my next wind fall of cash will go to after market barrels for the Glocks.
:evil:

All you 1911 guys are just smiling' away huh!?

:?
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scavok

Post by Scavok »

Jake; for those who know, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't know, no explanation is possible. :wink:

Anyway: check-out KKM Precision barrels for Glocks. They're popular at our IPSC club--I've always heard good things about their barrels.

P.S. Don't call me "Sir." :wink:
My sig line violated TOS so now it is gone...
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Without reigniting the inevitable flamefest, I shot lead in my Glocks regularly, it's just that I CLEANED them regularly also. I am now using bullets with a 2-8-90 alloy that is harder than the 2-6-92 that most casters use, I can push these harder-cast bullets pretty fast without leading a Glock.
I only have one Glock left. It needed to learn to eat what the rest of the herd is eating, or it will starve.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Music Man

Post by Music Man »

Yes it was Cabela's in Dundee. We got two boxes of 500. I did not see any boxes with 1K in them of anything. All the 9mm stuff I wanted to get they did not have in stock. Just my luck.
Beretta Nine All The Time
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

Scavok wrote:Jake; for those who know, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't know, no explanation is possible. :wink:

Anyway: check-out KKM Precision barrels for Glocks. They're popular at our IPSC club--I've always heard good things about their barrels.

P.S. Don't call me "Sir." :wink:

{Resized to TOS specifications (640x480 max) - jabeatty}

I think I got it! Feeds fine in the Sig, annoying ftf's in Glock and XD, as usual.
Scavok

Post by Scavok »

weakhand luke wrote: <snip>

I think I got it! Feeds fine in the Sig, annoying ftf's in Glock and XD, as usual.
ROFLMAO!

+1 initiative
+1 creativity
+1 literal interpretation
+1 dig of other firearm brand(s) (esp. Glock given its issues with lead)

(You would have scored "+1 photographic technique" if you had had your Sig in the background instead of a plain ol' keyboard.)

Give the man a cigar!
My sig line violated TOS so now it is gone...
Music Man

Post by Music Man »

I got the pricing from Rainier Ballistics last Wed. To get any worthwhile savings, we would have to order in the neigborhood of 10,000 pounds of bullets. The effort it would take to get that large of an order would not be worth the time involved.

As an example, if we ordered a total of 10,000 pounds we could get 9mm 115gr RN bullets for $67.92 and they come 2,000 to a box. This box would wiegh about 32.8 pounds (if I did the math right). It would take about 305 boxes or 60,000 rounds to get the 10,000 pound pricing.
Beretta Nine All The Time
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

TJ Conevera had 9mm 115 grain Winchester flat-base FMJ bullets for $69/thousand shipped, no mimimums. They also stock a variety of other calibers at similar pricing.

I am going to be ordering from KEAD hardcast bullets here pretty soon once I get the Xmas bills paid off. They offer a discount if you go over ten thousand rounds on an order. They can ship 3000 9mm 125's (or equiv) in one flat-rate box and 2000 of anything 230-grains or less in one flat-rate box.

I know I will speak for 3000 9mm, depending on if we can hit 10K, I might buy more of other calibers.

If anyone is in the central Ohio area or has a way to hook up with me in the C-Oh area, we might get a buy going from KEAD.

KEAD uses a lead alloy that is harder than even the standard hardcast bullets. I push them at full speed as FMJs through my guns, no issues. That includes Glock.

Anyone interested, look up the info and let me know.

Xmas bills gave me a one-two sucker punch to the gut along with some unexpected extra expenses/car repairs so I won't be ordering until next month, most likely.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

Ok, time to buy more bullets. Anybody know of better deals?
This is what I found on 12/23/07:
40cal, per 1000
Total, including lead surcharge (if charged), and shipping to NE Ohio (if charged)

Rainier plated 165gr FP
1) MidwayUSA $102.03
2) Natchez $111.07
3) Cabela's $116.93

Berry's plated 165gr FP (direct from Berry's)
$99.89
Berry's plated 180gr FP DS (direct from Berry's)
$105.09
Precision Molly185gr (direct from Precision)
$90.00
Almost 1 month later, 1/20/08:
(prices include shipping)
Rainier plated 165gr FP
1)MidwayUSA
$117.75 (increase of $15.72/1000)
2)Natchez
$148.47 (increase of $37.40/1000)
3)Cabelas
$132.93 (increase of $16/1000)
Berry's 165gr FP
$99.89 (no change)
Berry's 180gr FP DS
$105.09 (no change)
Precision Molly 185gr
$90.00 (no change)
And more new one:
Montana Gold 165gr FMJ
$114.50
“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds”-Sam Adams

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
- Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935