Primer seating question

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Primer seating question

Post by rimfireOH »

I'm starting to load .455 Webley Mark II rounds, using once-fired Fiocchi casings and CCI's #500 small pistol primers. I'm using Lee's "auto prime" manual primer.

I noticed that the CCI primers seem to seat a little more easily than the same primers into 9mm Luger (for example).

As an experiment, I took a casing, primed it, put on hearing protection, loaded it into the firearm, pointed it downrange and pulled the trigger. It went "bang" (as expected) and when I removed the casing from the revolver, I noticed that the primer had unseated itself. Not enough to come all the way out, but enough that it was noticeable.

Should I be concerned? Am I using the wrong primers for this Fiocchi brass? If so, what should I be using?
If the pressure from just the primer is enough to do that, what's going to happen if I actually load it with a starting load of powder and add an actual projectile?
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Re: Primer seating question

Post by evan price »

Without a main charge to force the case head back against the breech it is common for primers to back out die to pressure in the primer pocket. People who use primer powered rounds often ream the flash hole oversized.
Some brass, especially foreign brass like ppu or fiocchi, have tighter primer pocket and some primers fit better.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

Evan price: Thank you — your explanation makes total sense.
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

evan price: all of my handloads fired marvelously yesterday and none of their primers came unseated. Thanks for clarifying!
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Great work. Welcome to a hobby that will supposedly save you money......ha ha a he a. Seriously though.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Actually during the firing process every primer may back out just like you saw, then building pressure forces the case back onto the primer early in the process.

Guns with excessive headpace may look like they have "flattened primers" even if pressures are not overly high.

Another example....most 45 acp brass is quite short if you measure them and compare the case length to the chamber depth, this makes a lot of fired 45 acp primers look strange even though the pressure is quite sedate. The primer IMHO rivets a bit while the case is being forced back onto it.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

evan price wrote:Great work. Welcome to a hobby that will supposedly save you money......ha ha a he a. Seriously though.
I got into it to save money......wound up spending the same amount of money, and shooting 85% more.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
cpg
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by cpg »

Am I the only one that thinks the OP should be using a large pistol primer for .455 Webley?
People say firearm owners are compensating for something.
I am compensating for being smaller and weaker than most criminals.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

cpg wrote:Am I the only one that thinks the OP should be using a large pistol primer for .455 Webley?
Depends on the case - modern cases made by Fiocchi take small pistol primers. Older cases probably do take large pistol primers. It's pretty apparent if you try to use the wrong primer, one won't fit, the other falls out, so...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
cpg
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by cpg »

OK, thanks. I wasn't aware the Fiocchi brass was small primer. Learned something new today!!
People say firearm owners are compensating for something.
I am compensating for being smaller and weaker than most criminals.
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

Yep, it's new Fiocchi brass, so small pistol primers. Whew, for a moment I thought I'd been doing something wrong. (Well, I probably am, but it's something else, most likely.)
true_pair

Post by true_pair »

cpg wrote:OK, thanks. I wasn't aware the Fiocchi brass was small primer. Learned something new today!!
Federal also makes small pistol primer rounds in 45 ACP. So Fiocchi is not the only one out there making larger caliber brass with small pistol primers
"The great object is, that every man be armed"

-- Patrick Henry, speech of June 14 1788
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

true_pair wrote:
cpg wrote:OK, thanks. I wasn't aware the Fiocchi brass was small primer. Learned something new today!!
Federal also makes small pistol primer rounds in 45 ACP. So Fiocchi is not the only one out there making larger caliber brass with small pistol primers
Some of the lead free stuff uses small primers.It often has a larger than normal flash holes. It sometimes has the primer crimped in, and the federal stuff I have seen the primer is copper colored as well.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

true_pair wrote:
I have to separate all my .45 ACP brass after tumbling. To be certain, I use a double-ended primer cup reamer, first trying the large end. Looking for the brand on the headstamp isn't effective, since CCI and Federal make brass in both sizes.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.