States requiting notification

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

States requiting notification

Post by gaptrick »

Does anyone know the number of states that do NOT require notification?
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: States requiting notification

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

It's a complicated question, and most online resources are wrong. Or at least, get details wrong and provide incorrect summaries. ConcealedCarry.com and ConcealedNation.org each have pages on this, and if you look at their maps you'd think almost all states require notification.

The problem is their summaries don't match their own information. If you go to http://concealednation.org/2015/07/do-y ... e-answers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and scroll past the map, you'll see that almost all states marked as having a duty to notify If Asked, actually read like this:
If Asked (No known duty to inform law enforcement)

So is that a duty to notify or isn't it? Clicking to their longer description for Alabama (for instance), it starts with this: Alabama – No Duty To Inform and througout the whole section it's pretty clear they were unable to find a legal requirement to inform law enforcement of the fact that you are licensed to have a gun and that you do. Likewise Florida is marked as a duty to inform if asked state, but the truth is that you only have to show your license if the officer asks for it. You have no obligation to volunteer that you are licensed, even when asked for ID, unless to document your legal authority to have your firearm on/with you when that specific question comes up.

There are 2 states identified as never having a duty to inform,but there are also another 27 states where, despite the fact that their map shows yellow as Yes a Duty to Inform If Asked, the summary for those states reads: "no known duty" to inform law enforcement.

TL;DR
If we ignore their incorrect maps and go by the longer text descriptions, there are 29 no duty to inform states.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

The research OFCC did prior to the introduction of the original HB 142 shows 10 states in addition to Ohio that have statutory duty to notify. And by duty to notify I mean preemptive notification, without being asked by the LEO.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Dave44142

Post by Dave44142 »

When last i was stopped out of state,( about 3 years ago ) it was by a
West Virginia State police on Interstate 77 and
i told him something like this " being an Ohio
resident i have a duty to inform and not knowing
if required in W.VA. i would go ahead
and inform him that i have a license to carry
and that i was doing so at that time"...He
told me the law to inform was the same in W.Va.
and that it was of no matter to him...
He checked my driver license and ask a few questions
and told me i was ok to drive away...it was just
a fishing expedition...
God gave us the right to self defense, the second amendment stops the Government from taking it away.
The American Revolution wasn't about tea and taxes — it was about taking guns!