Ohio University Open Carry Walk - misleading commentary

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Re: Ohio University Open Carry Walk - misleading commentary

Post by Brian D. »

westsidebestside wrote:
Brian D. wrote:I will just remind everyone that OC walks helped us to get concealed carry legalized in the first place here in Ohio. To me it's still a good tactic politically.
Perhaps, but only if executed correctly. It couldn't be more obvious that the one in question was 100% ineptly managed from start to finish.
I wasn't at this walk with BB62 but have no reason to believe he did it with any degree of ineptitude. I've gone on three or four with him and the blueprint is always the same.

Maybe you should come see for yourself.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
westsidebestside

Post by westsidebestside »

Brian D. wrote: I wasn't at this walk with BB62 but have no reason to believe he did it with any degree of ineptitude. I've gone on three or four with him and the blueprint is always the same.

Maybe you should come see for yourself.
The blueprint appears to be:

1. Decide on where/when to have an event.
2. Contact the local 2A people to get their feedback. If their opinion differs as to timing or approach, ignore the feedback. After all, we've done a number of these and are the real experts.
3. Contact the local media, and expect them to find it interesting enough to be, in effect, "our" PR for the event.
4. Show up with nothing but guns. No signage, no literature, no consistent message.

Does that about cover the blueprint? Strong.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

No, you don't have it correct, but that's okay. If BB62 cares to explain/discuss further, fine. And he's an excellent listener, perhaps you have some great ideas for improvement going forward. But be warned, he'll expect you to take part in actual implementation of those ideas, not just type them out. He's a boots on the ground kind of activist, in several states besides just Ohio.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.